Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

Transfer Portal w IU Interest

I'm not a fan of the apparent portal strategy, but Rice is the exception. Great story, great talent, great get.

I don’t have a problem with getting a kid that fills a need via the portal. Let’s do that every year.

My issue is a staff of coaches that don’t/won’t recruit throughout the year then rely on the portal to build a team.

The latter describes the efforts of the current coaching staff. In spades.

22 minutes ago, Trish said:

Someone mentioned this is the first guard commit since November 2021. Is that true? 

Jesus. 

Not sure, but there are two guards on the current roster and one guard in the NBA who committed in the fall of 2021.  Tucker is also a wing and its yet to be seen how he will be used.

28 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

On extremely low volume,

Exactly. So address the question: why not get them more volume?

Woody didn't even try.  Leal attempting three 3s at 40% is likely better than him attempting 1 at 47%. So why didn't Woody get him more 3s?

We were one of the best 3 point% teams in '23, but low volume. Why not get those guys more 3s?

If he didn't the last 3 years why will he do for Rice and Carlyle?  

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

I don’t have a problem with getting a kid that fills a need via the portal. Let’s do that every year.

My issue is a staff of coaches that don’t/won’t recruit throughout the year then rely on the portal to build a team.

The latter describes the efforts of the current coaching staff. In spades.

IMO we did try to recruit throughout the year but the biggest issue was Woody's decision to focus on a too narrow list of 5-star priority targets and letting some quality players slip away as a result and it burned us in the butt.  And I'll also say that Woody's lack of personal presence on the road clearly didn't help.  

3 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Woody didn't even try.  Leal attempting three 3s at 40% is likely better than him attempting 1 at 47%. So why didn't Woody get him more 3s?

We were one of the best 3 point% teams in '23, but low volume. Why not get those guys more 3s?

You are focusing on Leal and ignoring the two that were put together for the original stat -- the other being Cupps.

And the answer to the Cupps item is that there were more shots there.  He chose not to take them.

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

IMO we did try to recruit throughout the year but the biggest issue was Woody's decision to focus on a too narrow list of 5-star priority targets and letting some quality players slip away as a result and it burned us in the butt.  And I'll also say that Woody's lack of personal presence on the road clearly didn't help.  

The net was set much wider this year in the portal, FWIW.  I think the list you put together was like 40 targets we had contacted.  Last year I'm not sure even by the end it went beyond 20.

Respectfully, you can't complain about getting a guy that averaged more PPG as a freshman in the PAC12 than another guy did as a junior in the MVC. Yes, his % wasn't great this year but he was 33% before his late season skid. Freshmen making a jump in efficiency in their sophomore year is hardly a rarity. 
He averaged more points per game than the combined total of our 2 starting guards that played point for 75% of our games last season.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

37 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

You are focusing on Leal and ignoring the two that were put together for the original stat -- the other being Cupps.

And the answer to the Cupps item is that there were more shots there.  He chose not to take them.

Might make sense if the '23 team didn't exist.  How do you explain that? Unfortunately you can't blame Cupps for that.

Hey guys, this NIL bucks is pretty cool.  Just think how we missed out over the years with paying kids to come play for us vs. well we know a lot of the schools. Lol. Wouldn’t it be just choice if we figure out we have more money than those clowns to buy our team?  Just thinking! SMH college ball has been destroyed!

38 minutes ago, str8baller said:

Might make sense if the '23 team didn't exist.  How do you explain that? Unfortunately you can't blame Cupps for that.

Your comment was about Leal and Cupps getting more shots.  Leal played 24 minutes in 2023 and was hurt most of the year, so I'm not sure of the what you are trying to say.  

For the record, Anthony Leal shooting 31% from three entering 2023.  No one ever would say "you know what the 2023 team needed?  More Leal."

I liked Leal in very spot minutes but calling him a 47% three point shooter is sus.  He took 19 threes last year, pretty much all open ones, and is a career 35% three point shooter.

It’s not about talent, it’s about assembling the right pieces to play together. Woody has always focused on getting talent vs the right pieces thus why we outkicked every BigTen team in terms of recruiting stars* and yet didn’t make the tourney.

unpopular as it may be, Woody is doing it again. As good as Rice is, we are no better shooting the ball than we were before. Add Balo and here we go again.

the formula is to have minimally 3 players on the court that can shoot and we are assembling another team full of people that can’t shoot. We’ve added two talented players and neither make us a better shooting team

4 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

As good as Rice is, we are no better shooting the ball than we were before.

I would push back a little on this and say he hit a freshman wall at the end of the year and had an 0-22 stretch.  I can’t say for sure it was because of a freshman wall but before that in games I watched he looked like a shooter to me.   Freshman to sophomore jump in shooting number rise in most instances.  Tony A had a tweet about this.    Got to see it translate next year but from what I saw before that terrible 9 game stretch makes me think he will put up better numbers 

6 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I would push back a little on this and say he hit a freshman wall at the end of the year and had an 0-22 stretch.  I can’t say for sure it was because of a freshman wall but before that in games I watched he looked like a shooter to me.   Freshman to sophomore jump in shooting number rise in most instances.  Tony A had a tweet about this.    Got to see it translate next year but from what I saw before that terrible 9 game stretch makes me think he will put up better numbers 

I would say sitting out two years of live games was always going to have some inconsistencies upon return.  

2 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Last offseason, I think woody was being loyal to Galloway, X and Gunn.  He didn’t want to recruit over them.   This offseason, if he wants to keep coaching here, he has to recruit over everyone.  Just my opinion, but seems like a 180 philosophy.  

when woody took the job, I really think he honored the Indiana kids and the current roster at the time.  As an alumni from the program, he looked at them as one of his own and honored them.  

but now I really think he’s realized he just has to recruit the best kids every year.   

just my $0.02.  I know a lot of fans wanted him gone, but objectively, he earned this offseason.  His seat is on the line now. 

2 hours ago, str8baller said:

Dude, where have  you been.  It's not Woodson's job to get them more shots.  

12 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

27% from 3 is 27% from 3, it’s not good.

maybe he has a big leap from freshmen year to sophomore year, it is possible but a full season from start to finish without cherry-picking says he isn’t a good 3 point shooter.

The two additions to the team are talented no doubt but don’t fill the need all of us have been clamoring for and frustrated about. Crimson colored glasses here for sure.

when do we fill THE VOID?