Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

24 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

And I'm sure you all had that same energy last July when the schedule was announced! Oh wait no you didn't lol. 

You just admitted that you weren’t even here last July (new account created in mid-February, hmm). And yeah, the reaction to a bad schedule is likely different coming off a terrible season in which the coach behaved like an *** to the media and attacked the fanbase. Shocker. 

"Dear diary, 
Today the meanies in the Fire Mike Woodson thread were so harsh on him.
They just refuse to see facts because everyone knows there isn't any validity to any way of thinking that's different than mine!
I can't wait to make them eat crow when IUBB goes 22-9 and makes a S16! That will really show them!"
Yes, you are childish.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

23 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm guessing season ticket holders are p*ssed at this schedule. Not a game on there you can sell for market price. As much as season tickets are these days, might as well save your money and wait to buy off scalpers for a good Big Ten game. 

On the bright side, tickets being cheaper means total expenses for my next home game trip to Bloomington will be lower. 

Sucks the football team has a bye week when IUBB plays SCar at home. 

Looks like I'll have to book the weekend of IUBB vs. Southern Illinois / IUFB vs. Michigan...

37 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You just admitted that you weren’t even here last July (new account created in mid-February, hmm). And yeah, the reaction to a bad schedule is likely different coming off a terrible season in which the coach behaved like an *** to the media and attacked the fanbase. Shocker. 

Appreciate you admitting this. The schedule is soft because “Woodson created it” not because there’s any data that actually supports it being labeled soft, at least not yet anyway. It certainly is shaping up to be harder than last years schedule and the general consensus on every forum I’ve participated in believed last years schedule was in fact not soft. One of the more grown up posts I’ve seen from you in my duration here.

5 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I am not going to go look up all the teams but Notre Dame, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Louisville (Defending National Champions) GUARANTEED looks like a tougher schedule than "We are in a tournament with 2 good teams and a bunch of average teams and if things fall peefectly we may play those 2 good teams".

You think that having another large Indiana school and the 2 Kentucky schools (I am assuming in Indiana or Kentucky) definitively on the schedule might look a bit interesting than maybe some teams in the Bahamas, South Carolina, and a bunch of nobodies of differing nobody caliber?

It is a soft schedule.  I don't know why that is hard to admit.  If you want to defend it you shouldn't try and convince people it is good (it is mediocre), you should be offering up stuff like "We have a bunch of new teams that add to difficulty in conference and a bunch of new players so this gives us a chance to gel before conference starts" not a defense of what is clearly an uninteresting, lower tier schedule designed to get wins.  Which is what this is.

Actually I just watched the UK game from that year a couple of weeks ago and that UK wasn't anything special. It had a freshman in Rex Chapman and just average players beyond that including James Blackmon. To me the SC game is the on par with that Vandy game and the other 3 is no better than the Bahamas games.

Like I said it isn't a great schedule but not as bad as some of you want to make it.

2 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Actually I just watched the UK game from that year a couple of weeks ago and that UK wasn't anything special. It had a freshman in Rex Chapman and just average players beyond that including James Blackmon. To me the SC game is the on par with that Vandy game and the other 3 is no better than the Bahamas games.

Like I said it isn't a great schedule but not as bad as some of you want to make it.

How can you say the other 3 are on par with the Bahamas games when you don't know our opponents.  I think everyone is assuming we are going to play Gonzaga and Arizona and then one of those 60 to 80 ranked teams.  That could happen but they aren't guaranteed games.

If we lose the first game, there is a (good) possibility we play neither of those 2 if they aren't our first round opponent.  That is the thing about the tournaments, you can't count on them to get you Q1 wins like you could setting up a home and home or a one off neutral site game.

This is a soft schedule that takes advantage of the indiosyncracies in the NCAA quadrant format.  Whoever put I together is playing the same game that other schools played last year.  You have a bunch of lower middle tier teams that you absolutely should beat and that looks better in a computer than getting hammered by a few really good teams and then taking several really bad teams to the woodshed.  I mean, whatever, it is the game, but it doesn't look like whoever put it together had all the swagger of the "anyone, anywhere" type of talk we heard about when Woodson took over.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

How can you say the other 3 are on par with the Bahamas games when you don't know our opponents.  I think everyone is assuming we are going to play Gonzaga and Arizona and then one of those 60 to 80 ranked teams.  That could happen but they aren't guaranteed games.

If we lose the first game, there is a (good) possibility we play neither of those 2 if they aren't our first round opponent.  That is the thing about the tournaments, you can't count on them to get you Q1 wins like you could setting up a home and home or a one off neutral site game.

This is a soft schedule that takes advantage of the indiosyncracies in the NCAA quadrant format.  Whoever put I together is playing the same game that other schools played last year.  You have a bunch of lower middle tier teams that you absolutely should beat and that looks better in a computer than getting hammered by a few really good teams and then taking several really bad teams to the woodshed.  I mean, whatever, it is the game, but it doesn't look like whoever put it together had all the swagger of the "anyone, anywhere" type of talk we heard about when Woodson took over.

So coaches can't win either way because if you schedule better teams and lose they get roasted. You play a soft schedule but win you get roasted.

It is obvious that that at least last  year the committee put more emphasis on the metrics and rewarded beating bad teams by a lot. You shouldn't blame the coaches for taking taking advantage of this.  The pressure on coaches to make the tournament is so great they will do what it takes to get in.

18 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

So coaches can't win either way because if you schedule better teams and lose they get roasted. You play a soft schedule but win you get roasted.

Here’s a groundbreaking thought: schedule better teams and win. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Here’s a groundbreaking thought: schedule better teams and win. 

That doesn't work with this coach. His teams tend to get blown out by good teams, even his best team did.

5 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Last year’s non conference schedule sucked. Woodson lost to the only 3 good teams on the schedule and skated by a bunch of mediocre to bad teams. 

The results sucked.  That's different than saying the schedule sucked.  The net non-conference SOS last year was 110 I believe.