Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

42 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

It's almost as if 3 potential games in a pre-season tournament littered with Q1 and Q2 opponents aren't on the list. Hmmm.

Add Providence/Oklahoma/Louisville, Gonzaga, and Arizona to that list and now tell me what the schedule potentially looks like?

At best, 2 Q1 and 1Q2.  Likely scenario is 1 Q1 and 2 Q2.

So you are saying that 2 Q1, 2 Q2 (at best) and only 1 an actually guaranteed game is a good schedule.  I think it looks soft.  And I didn't cover Atlantis because I had already done all those teams.  Follow along.

7 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Can't tell if I'm more excited for the emotional meltdown that will almost certainly ensue from those who have doubled and tripled down on stupidity or the fact that there will be 4-5 less clowns with an opinion around these parts. Either way, it'll be a win.  

Have you considered going outside, touching grass, and getting some vitamin D in the sun?

Ancient proverb from New Jersey: Always let the a$$hole get the last word.

Not sure if it will be funnier when you can't resist and respond to this ridiculous post, or if you heed the old adage and give me the satisfaction of being the a$$hole here. (Read that in a whiny baby voice so it sounds just like you). 

Either way... 

The Sopranos Tony Soprano GIF

And let's go Hoosiers

3 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

At best, 2 Q1 and 1Q2.  Likely scenario is 1 Q1 and 2 Q2.

So you are saying that 2 Q1, 2 Q2 (at best) and only 1 an actually guaranteed game is a good schedule.  I think it looks soft.  And I didn't cover Atlantis because I had already done all those teams.  Follow along.

As another poster pointed out (as did I prior to him actually laying out the data), the schedule is on track to be tougher this year than last year top to bottom. I wasn't here beginning part of last season, but I'm sure I can guarantee that nobody was calling last years non-conference schedule "soft".

47 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Just for reference this s was our non conference schedule in 1986-87 season.

Montana State I was at that game

ND

UK

Vandy

UNC Wilmington 

E. Carolina 

Morehead State 

UL

Princeton 

Illinois State 

Don't look that much different than this coming year. Also back then we had 4 pretty much guarantee wins in the conference vs UW and NW

I get it a lot hate Woodson and will bash him on everything even if I t isn't warranted.

I am not going to go look up all the teams but Notre Dame, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Louisville (Defending National Champions) GUARANTEED looks like a tougher schedule than "We are in a tournament with 2 good teams and a bunch of average teams and if things fall peefectly we may play those 2 good teams".

You think that having another large Indiana school and the 2 Kentucky schools (I am assuming in Indiana or Kentucky) definitively on the schedule might look a bit interesting than maybe some teams in the Bahamas, South Carolina, and a bunch of nobodies of differing nobody caliber?

It is a soft schedule.  I don't know why that is hard to admit.  If you want to defend it you shouldn't try and convince people it is good (it is mediocre), you should be offering up stuff like "We have a bunch of new teams that add to difficulty in conference and a bunch of new players so this gives us a chance to gel before conference starts" not a defense of what is clearly an uninteresting, lower tier schedule designed to get wins.  Which is what this is.

5 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

As another poster pointed out (as did I prior to him actually laying out the data), the schedule is on track to be tougher this year than last year top to bottom. I wasn't here beginning part of last season, but I'm sure I can guarantee that nobody was calling last years non-conference schedule "soft".

No, this is the BS that other teams pulled last year where they don't really schedule anyone of real consequence but instead load up on teams that they should beat by 20 instead of 40 and nobody they should really lose to.  Even that South Carolina game should be a double digit win at home (10 to 12 range).

The entire strength of the schedule is going to rest on our ability and 2 other teams' ability to win games to ensure matchups.  And that is assuming that Arizona and Gonzaga were put on opposite sides of the Atlantis bracket.  It is a complete possibility to have 0 Q1 games in the pre-conference if scheduling doesn't go our way.

38 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No, this is the BS that other teams pulled last year where they don't really schedule anyone of real consequence but instead load up on teams that they should beat by 20 instead of 40 and nobody they should really lose to.  Even that South Carolina game should be a double digit win at home (10 to 12 range).

The entire strength of the schedule is going to rest on our ability and 2 other teams' ability to win games to ensure matchups.  And that is assuming that Arizona and Gonzaga were put on opposite sides of the Atlantis bracket.  It is a complete possibility to have 0 Q1 games in the pre-conference if scheduling doesn't go our way.

Uh no, the BS the other teams pulled last year (looking at the majority of the B12) was scheduling 8-10 sub-300 NET opponents (Q4) and running up the score to artificially inflate their initial NET ranking while manipulating the system in the process. That isn't in the realm of what IU is doing. At most, IU is playing two sub-300 teams, also the first two games of the season, something 99% of P5 teams do. At most IU is playing 5 Q4 opponents (most likely 4). They played 6 last year. I will agree that IU's top end competition last year is likely going to be better than this years version, but you never know, especially if they play both Arizona and Gonzaga down in the Bahamas.

Fact of the matter is that IU played 3 Q1/Q2 opponents in the non-conference last season and this year has the ability to play 4 or 5 with way less Q4 opponents. IU's non-conference schedule will end up being "tougher" than last years schedule. Mark it down. Nobody bitched about a "soft" non-conference schedule last year because at the time nobody had an ax to grind and/or a narrative to push. You know that, I know that, everybody on here knows that. This is a typical P5 non-conference schedule with a good mixture of tournament resume opportunities and tune up games to get ready for a 20 game conference slate. Nothing more, nothing less...unless you want it to be. And we all know why. If Dusty May or Bruce Pearl were coaching this team this season with this schedule we'd still be on page 129.

54 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm saying sitting around a table at Uptown drinking a bottle of wine and talking about life I love that guy. Watching him build, coach a basketball team makes me want to pull out the final 3 or 4 hairs I have left on my head

I’m sure he’s great in that setting (unless one of the folks on here tattles to Woody about the big mean comments). The only Mike Woodson the person I know is the one we see in the media, on senior night, etc., and that guy sucks. 

25 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Last year’s non conference schedule sucked. Woodson lost to the only 3 good teams on the schedule and skated by a bunch of mediocre to bad teams. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Last year’s non conference schedule sucked. Woodson lost to the only 3 good teams on the schedule and skated by a bunch of mediocre to bad teams. 

And I'm sure you all had that same energy last July when the schedule was announced! Oh wait no you didn't lol. 

I totally agree that the offseason doldrums and complaints are repetitive. But as you say, can't win games in the offseason. 

It is easy to say something negative because we're coming off a very negative season. Some people are able to be more optimistic than others coming off that year. Some are more forgiving than others. If everyone was singing kumbaya, we believe in you Woody, you are the best HC we could ever have... the program would not be in any better shape and the conversation here would be just as not insightful as it is today. There is nothing of true substance to discuss at this point of the year for IUBB other than the non-con schedule today. 
We don't need to prepare to speak on the state of the program. The team needs to prepare to win.
In the meantime, some will be more content to be hopeful and others will reserve praise until further down the line. 

That pretty sums up the idea I was presenting as an option to what I see on Twitter. I don’t think it’s Woodson at all but it’s his or Indiana’s people trying to help set a Twitter message. It works, but it’s obvious. I’m not the only one who has figured it out, clearly. As an aside, The strange parallelism on a political component is just beyond odd to me.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm not sure which thread this belongs in, but OMG is that a soft schedule. I'd speculate every single B1G team plays a more interesting/challenging/ANYTHING schedule. All cupcakes, and pretty much all home minus Atlantis....it's simply embarrassing. We're a joke. He's a joke. A fragile little man too scared to play any level of competition. Can't wait for a season full of excuses followed by an extension.

That pretty sums up the idea I was presenting as an option to what I see on Twitter. I don’t think it’s Woodson at all but it’s his or Indiana’s people trying to help set a Twitter message. It works, but it’s obvious. I’m not the only one who has figured it out, clearly. As an aside, The strange parallelism on a political component is just beyond odd to me.

Well shucks, it quoted the wrong part. Either way, message stands.

Just now, iu-dl said:

I'm not sure which thread this belongs in, but OMG is that a soft schedule. I'd speculate every single B1G team plays a more interesting/challenging/ANYTHING schedule. All cupcakes, and pretty much all home minus Atlantis....it's simply embarrassing. We're a joke. He's a joke. A fragile little man too scared to play any level of competition. Can't wait for a season full of excuses followed by an extension.

Will end being slightly above mid-pack in terms of difficulty when all said and done in regards to fellow B10 peers. 

3 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Will end being slightly above mid-pack in terms of difficulty when all said and done in regards to fellow B10 peers. 

I respectfully disagree. I caught a peek of who Nebraska and Penn State have scheduled so far, and they're dunking on us. I consider them teams we should not lose to.

11 minutes ago, iu-dl said:

I respectfully disagree. I caught a peek of who Nebraska and Penn State have scheduled so far, and they're dunking on us. I consider them teams we should not lose to.

You need to look again. Penn State's toughest scheduled opponent is #87 Virginia Tech. They also have scheduled:

331 Binghamton

171 Ft Wayne

238 UMBC

356 Buffalo

187 Drexel

189 Penn

That doesn't include the preseason tournament they're in that includes Chicago St, San Francisco, Radford, Clemson, Fordham, and Eastern Tennessee St. 

Nebraska has 332 UT Rio Grande Valley, 358 Bethune Cookman, and 334 Fairleigh Dickinson to go along with their tournament in Honolulu that includes Hawaii, Oregon State, Charlotte, Loyola, Charleston, Oakland, and Murray State. Props to them for playing St Mary's in a neutral site game and then obviously they play rival Creighton like they do every year.

Neither of those teams have schedules that will come close to Indiana's in terms of degree of difficulty top to bottom.

Maryland has 6 sub-300 opponents scheduled and Iowa has 5. 

1 minute ago, AH1971 said:

You need to look again. Penn State's toughest scheduled opponent is #87 Virginia Tech. They also have scheduled:

331 Binghamton

171 Ft Wayne

238 UMBC

356 Buffalo

187 Drexel

189 Penn

That doesn't include the preseason tournament they're in that includes Chicago St, Chicago St, Radford, Clemson, Fordham, and Eastern Tennessee St. 

Nebraska has 332 UT Rio Grande Valley, 358 Bethune Cookman, and 334 Fairleigh Dickinson to go along with their tournament in Honolulu that includes Hawaii, Oregon State, Charlotte, Loyola, Charleston, Oakland, and Murray State. Props to them for playing St Mary's in a neutral site game and then obviously they play rival Creighton like they do every year.

Neither of those teams have schedules that will come close to Indiana's in terms of degree of difficulty top to bottom.

Maryland has 6 sub-300 opponents scheduled and Iowa has 5. 

Good for them. I don't believe our goal is to be like Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland, or Iowa so how they schedule is moot.