Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

57 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Exactly! Why are so many fans SOOOO content with just making the tournament. 

I realize we're not a Blue Blood program anymore but we're also not Minnesota. Mike Woodson screams mediocrity in every aspect and has for his entire career as a coach. If you can't tell, I'm still very pissed from this decision. 

I am too. It was just absurdly stupid. There's no foundation, we're not doing well with HS recruits so we have to have an absolute monster of a portal haul; keep in mind this last portal season was a dud outside of Ware.

He's said he believes college ball is played inside out and that the 3 isn't a point of emphasis for them, that's not a good sign considering the change needed. His Knicks teams had the same problems which isn't a good sign for his ability (or maybe willingness) to learn.

He has friends in the right places and they wanted to protect him, that's it. It was about what was right for Woodson not the Indiana program.

1 hour ago, HoosierHuddle said:

On a side note, is there a thread to post about and discuss the transfer portal and potential options? I guess that's what our program depends on for now and I watch more collegiate basketball than I probably should so I kinda know of some of the guys we might pursue.

We'll welcome all the input you can provide.  

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Just now, Ngw7183 said:

To be clear, this was in reference to even going pro, not just transferring. They think he needs another year. His parents are not pushing him to go. 

He will declare and should. Will be good to hear more feedback that aligns with what Woody is telling him which he is already bought into. 

Yeah... just don't underestimate an 18/19 year old former MCDAA's ability to bet on himself and enter the draft anyway. 

The dream has been to be a one and done. His family has always done what it took to position him for that dream to happen. That was his plan, not their plan. They are, I'm sure, quite thrilled he is getting a college education while playing basketball for a former NBA coach. I 1000% believe that his parents want him to come back to IU. Will he listen to his parents about this very big decision? 

Idk, won't pretend to know what goes on inside his head. He obviously respects his parents very much. But he could change his mind at any time... you know how kids are :) 

It certainly bodes well and gives reason to be hopeful he will be back. No certainties though.

2 hours ago, SamIam said:

So unless Dusty can go to a P5 and turn it around in 1 year he still won't be considered "good enough" for IU....?

I think Woodson will be here for the duration of his contract now. I think if the Simons and Cooks are going to splash the cash to support him in the portal, they will until he retires in 3 years. I think he will make the tournament moving forward. This was the year to get out and start with a longer term option. Saying all that Dusty will have time to turn somewhere around and prove he is the man. If not, then we dodged a bullet. 

Just now, Feathery said:

I think Woodson will be here for the duration of his contract now. I think if the Simons and Cooks are going to splash the cash to support him in the portal, they will until he retires in 3 years. I think he will make the tournament moving forward. This was the year to get out and start with a longer term option. Saying all that Dusty will have time to turn somewhere around and prove he is the man. If not, then we dodged a bullet. 

I'm banking on him retiring after next season.....we can all root for the Celtics to win it all this summer and Brad will get that college coaching itch again!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Mack Mgbako and Liam McNeeley would potentially be the best set of outside shooting starting forwards in the nation.

Maybe not, but tell me why that is not a plausible take.

Add a dynamic shooter at the 2 (Blackmon but better D) and an experienced PG...color me interested again

Edit: Reneau at the 5

Edited by Coach Robby

1 minute ago, Mr. Hoosier Pride said:

I'm banking on him retiring after next season.....we can all root for the Celtics to win it all this summer and Brad will get that college coaching itch again!

Brad isn’t coming. I’m friends with one of his former players. If he gets the coaching itch, he will coach in the NBA. Stevens didn’t like recruiting. And I doubt he would like recruiting with NIL. He didn’t like having to go in and sit with high schoolers and kiss their butts. 

3 hours ago, iu-dl said:

We need a few less "gotcha" people on this forum in my opinion....none of us get to ask for insider info from Chris007, Kathy/C, Jerry, or anyone else....and then point the finger when decisions change. If you don't want to believe what's being said behind closed doors, just take every post as a matter of opinion. But for those of you finger-pointing and chastizing users who have reliable sources close to IUBB, go find another board or simply block Chris/Kathy/Jerry/others. For me, I enjoy their insight and today's decisions often contradict yesterday's decisions, even at a BOT level. People (like the BOT) change their minds/positions on things often; don't destroy those who give us the only valuable line of sight we have.

Yeah, that sounds good in theory but the flip side is that so many people on here take the posts as gospel truth and if you disagree, you get slammed.

Opposing opinions aren’t always welcomed.

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I won't argue that and tend to agree. I just think Woody thinks he's the man in the middle he wants and is going to pay him top dollar

Agree that we're going to pay top dollar to keep Reneau. He's a Montverde recruit and we want to keep those players happy and that pipeline open.  

4 minutes ago, hoosierhoo said:

No I don’t. I think Brian Walsh gets the point.

Coaches all over the country are doing the exact same thing. The better programs are already in DM's offering money.

Malik is likely getting offers currently. Trey will likely get offers as well. Six figure offers I should add. 

9 minutes ago, hoosierhoo said:

No I don’t. I think Brian Walsh gets the point.

I almost put “probably not” in parentheses. Thanks for finishing the job!

Some OF ramblings

1.  If MM's mom has said 'stay', that's a huge piece to help keep next season from a total disaster and 1 less piece to have to worry about replacing in the portal.

2.  With the Woody news and as long as Brian Walsh doesn't get released for some stupid reason, we don't need to worry about Liam asking for a release which would mean another portal recruit.

3.  I don't want to lose both Trey and Gabe so IMO, Gabe is free to move on.

4.  I think Anthony sticks around knowing his role won't be any larger next year than it has been this year but he can be an important piece off the bench.  I think playing for "the name on front of the jersey" means that much to him.  

5.  Newton stays but really concerned what he'll be able to offer after 2 years.

6.  Banks and Gunn are gone but portal upgrades shouldn't be a problem.  Same for Walker.  I think Sparks stays because he really doesn't have an option unless he wants to sit out a year.

7.  I don't know what to expect from Malik -- will he stay or will he go.

8.  Replacing Ware and getting a really good PG are my biggest concerns.

9.  I'm slowly buying into the concept of a GM.  Up until maybe 10-years ago (purely an approximation), a coach focused on high school recruiting and interacting with high school coaches and the target's family.  Then AAU ball exploded with the major shoe companies jumping in not to mention AAU coaches.  The top kids have handlers that have to be dealt with.  NCAA lost it's stranglehold on transfers and now we have NIL.  I'm not sure a lot of coaches can effectively navigate today's environment without some help along the lines of what a GM does in pro sports. 

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

I know I don’t have any “cred” here but MM has told multiple friends on campus his parents both want him to come back. 

FWIW, your last several posts have been brief, on point and you've avoided lecturing us which helps your "cred" IMO.