Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, IUFAN1976 said:

Did anyone catch the end of the game interview by Andy Katz interviewing Woodson?  Woodson just can’t help but give a smarta** remark on a standard question that Katz asked about that play.  He could have explained what they were trying to do, like most coaches do, but instead popped by at Katz and “you seen the play”.  What real horses a**!

Actually I would have quipped “that’s exactly how I drew it up.”   

If you heard Bruce Weber a little later talking about it.  He was like, “we draw all this stuff up and it never works.”  Players got to play. 

14 minutes ago, Herotime said:

Unfortunately he’s become so unlikeable for me that I have a difficult time enjoying the team’s success. Were he to display some humility and tact the recent win-streak would be much sweeter. His snarky condescension makes it much harder to give him credit for any improvement or benefit of the doubt in earlier shortcomings. It’s so much easier to say he’s beating crap teams because he comes across so arrogantly.

Yeah his comments on senior day, plus Leal's, pretty much made it impossible to cheer for them. 

32 minutes ago, Trish said:

Woodson still needs fired, last night was another showing of how bad the program is. Also, drawing up a play for Johnson to win the game is a complete joke. 

PSU's only tall player had fouled out.  How do you not run a play for Ware in that situation?  It worked out, but I think Ware would have been the better option. 

17 minutes ago, JF87 said:

PSU's only tall player had fouled out.  How do you not run a play for Ware in that situation?  It worked out, but I think Ware would have been the better option. 

I just watched the play again.  The play was clearly drawn up for Ware, he had his defender pinned down low and Malik just didn't pass him the ball and instead forced up a tough shot.

Just now, hoosiersoxfan said:

I just watched the play again.  The play was clearly drawn up for Ware, he had his defender pinned down low and Malik just didn't pass him the ball and instead forced up a tough shot.

I read somewhere that Woodson said the play was designed to get Reneau or Johnson the shot.  

Just now, JF87 said:

I read somewhere that Woodson said the play was designed to get Reneau or Johnson the shot.  

Well then that's just dumb then unless you are getting Reneau or X a layup.  Ware had great position but definitely possible he did that on his own as opposed to how Woodson drew the play up. 

3 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Post game he said it was a 'triple drag' play, so I assume there were three options.  Also seems to say they didn't get the shot they wanted but it was good that Leal was there for the putback.

I think Woodson's biggest challenge in the upcoming portal season will be replacing Ware and his productivity.  

Over the past 5 games (5 game win streak), Ware has averaged a double-double per game (21.6 pts and 12.6 reb).  Going back through 11 games (I'm lazy and got tired of counting), he's still averaged a double-double with 18.6 pts and 10.8 rebs per game.  His poorest outing through that stretch was the OSU game where he only produced 6 points and 1 rebound.  

It's obviously not Woodson's only challenge since he'll be portal-dependant, but that could be a make or break for him if he fails to replace that kind of production.  

And please check my math. I suck at math.  

24 minutes ago, JF87 said:

We didn’t run a play for Ware because that’s too obvious for our coaching staff to see! Instead they allowed Malik to touch the ball which is insanely stupid in itself!! Woodson needs to go away….

2 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Post game he said it was a 'triple drag' play, so I assume there were three options.  Also seems to say they didn't get the shot they wanted but it was good that Leal was there for the putback.

Yep.  I think you are correct. I re-read the article.  Looks like the play was to get Johnson free and then he had options.  Leal was the one who said I knew we were going to Malik (Lik-o),  

Alls well that ends well, but that last play in my opinion was mostly a product of Malik not knowing time and situation. There was plenty of time for that play to develop a little more and probably get Ware a deep post catch, but I think he got the ball and said “oh crap gotta put this up”. 

1 minute ago, JimmerNoe said:

Alls well that ends well, but that last play in my opinion was mostly a product of Malik not knowing time and situation. There was plenty of time for that play to develop a little more and probably get Ware a deep post catch, but I think he got the ball and said “oh crap gotta put this up”. 

I would agree with that. I also think Malik wants to be the man, but is not ready to be the man yet. 

Posted elsewhere, but here was Reneau's drive.  Ware was available but Penn State player was holding him.  Not sure why they didn't call the foul.  Penn State player has better rebounding position but Leal hustled and Penn State player got caught watching.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 8.49.47 AM.png

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I would agree with that. I also think Malik wants to be the man, but is not ready to be the man yet. 

Agreed. I think he’s now had two years of seeing “the man” next to him in the post and has the itch to be that guy.

I will say it’s refreshing to at least get the ball on the rim. I HATED late game possessions with Archie. Without fail it would be a turnover/broken play/heave. Last night I was just praying we got a shot up. Leal was a well coached kid throughout his career because what he said post game about tip ins and offensive boards was so true and coach speak 101. 

10 minutes ago, JimmerNoe said:

7 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

It’s not a perfect world and therefore while there were better decision options, getting that ball up on the rim against a severely undersized PSU defense was a way better choice than many other possibilities.