Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

45 minutes ago, kottke said:

You're not wrong, but I don't know that we've seen this type of trajectory at the end of year 3 before. We're in a free fall with no parachute.

Agreed, it would be different if there was hope. But I'm just not sure what you hang your hat on as far as turning this around.

Gallo, Cupps (or someone else), Liam, Mgbako, Malik- this could be a very solid starting5 with a good coach. Malik is very good scoring around the basket, we'd have 2 good 3pt shooters with size, we'd have Gallo who is a quality wing imo (if he can fix his FT shooting) and the other guard could be Cupps or hopefull we'd bring in someone with more pop.

Ware is gone for sure imo, and the Gunns and Banks of the world are gone. Mgbako could be too of course but I think if we brought in a compelling coach a lot of our starting guys would likely stay imo. PT is up for grabs and IU does well in NIL compensation I think.

At this point most players are gone after the season, Not sure we can get guys out of the portal. No one in the class of 25 is going to come to IU with Woodson in limbo for next season. I'm guessing donations will be down, NIL money will be down. There is nothing Woodson can do to save the ship from going down at this point. I can't imagine a change not happening. I haven't heard that yet but I think we're heading that way
Good luck getting him to leave without outright firing him.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

So are you saying this is an institutional issue and Woodson/previous coaches arent to blame. Whoever comes next wont succeed?

Absolutely not. There is plenty of blame to go around... Crean was manic... Archie was dull, unimaginative and underwhelming... Woodson is a hack with friends in high places... but there's also an "institutional" piece... it's Indiana... the fan base is rabid... we expect our team to win every time they lace 'em up... yet we continue to screw the pooch with our hiring (FB and men's BB).

My point was more to the "why would I go there ... they fired the last X coaches after only Y years"... there's A LOT more to the story than just the length of the coach's tenure...

But yeah, maybe (probably) there is an "institutional" component to this... Indiana has hired based on a somewhat knee-jerk response... flavor of the month - call it what you will...

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What's the obsession with this? I understand it was a bad move by Dolson, but like... who cares? Indiana has money that grows on trees and boosters to go with it. 

We aren't Texas money-wise-- be we aren't lacking. It isn't our money

Maybe we need to act like it is. Show a little fiscal responsibility with coaching contracts and not handing out raises, contract extensions and escalated buy-outs like they're fun-size Snickers at Halloween.

21 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What's the obsession with this? I understand it was a bad move by Dolson, but like... who cares? Indiana has money that grows on trees and boosters to go with it. 

We aren't Texas money-wise-- be we aren't lacking. It isn't our money. 

Because it obviously is an issue. Donors are tired of having to pony up cash to fix our previous mistakes.

14 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Got my generic response from the BOT

Dear Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to write to the IU trustees to express your concerns about the men’s basketball program. I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your email in the Office of the Board of Trustees, and to note that it has been forwarded for further review/consideration.

Yeah, I have a couple of those (word-for-word) ... and this gem from Dolson (or his flunky):

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about the Indiana Men's Basketball program. Your observations are appreciated, and your opinions have very much been heard. I know passionate fans like yourself have a high standard for the program, one that I very much share. There is no disputing that our results in recent weeks and for the majority of this season have not been up to that standard. 

While time constraints prevent me from responding to every point and/or subject from every email that I receive, I at least want you to know that I have read your email and appreciate you taking the time to voice your frustrations.

Scott

13 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

Got my generic response from the BOT

Dear Scott,

Thank you for taking the time to write to the IU trustees to express your concerns about the men’s basketball program. I am writing to acknowledge receipt of your email in the Office of the Board of Trustees, and to note that it has been forwarded for further review/consideration.

Mailchimp auto responder go brrrrr

11 minutes ago, Adillac said:

Gallo, Cupps (or someone else), Liam, Mgbako, Malik- this could be a very solid starting5 with a good coach.

I think Gallo and Cupps backcourt would have us in a similar position to this year. I do think Liam could play well pretty much in any lineup, but this lineup would lack some quickness/speed IMO. And rim protection, though Reneau has shown some more of that this year than I've expected.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

It's not the amount we've paid. it's the lack of judgment in choosing who we've paid.

Again, if Dolson acts like it's his money, he won't be giving it to any coach every time they remember to cover their mouth when they cough.