Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey all ... here's some good news!

Message boards contain a tiny percentage of the most engaged, vociferous fans. The average 'dedicated' IU fan doesn't care about (and probably hasn't even heard of):

• The Hoosier Hysterics
  • FanFest or the golf tournament
  • The $7,000 for-profit fantasy camp for 50 people

What do they care about? 

1. WINS
  2. WINS
  3. WINS
  4. no national embarrassments for the program, i.e. arrests or mass defections of players and coaches

So the attributes of a good coach these days?

• Roster building
  • NIL building
  • X's and O's
  • Preventing embarrassment

Actually winning isn't an attribute of a good coach?

A coach could build a roster that looks good on paper through a large amount of NIL and still not win as much as he should. In fact, that is likely what IU will see next season. A good coach gets the team to play better than the sum of its parts. That isn't Woodson since none of his teams so far have even played as good as the sum of their parts.

Woodson's X's and O's are from the '90s and there have been multiple embarrassing events under his "leadership."

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Message boards contain a tiny percentage of the most engaged, vociferous fans. The average 'dedicated' IU fan doesn't care about (and probably hasn't even heard of):

• The Hoosier Hysterics

What do they care about? 

1. WINS
  2. WINS
  3. WINS
  4. no national embarrassments for the program, i.e. arrests or mass defections of players and coaches

• Roster building
  • NIL building
  • X's and O's
  • Preventing embarrassment

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

Actually winning isn't an attribute of a good coach?

A coach could build a roster that looks good on paper through a large amount of NIL and still not win as much as he should. In fact, that is likely what IU will see next season. A good coach gets the team to play better than the sum of its parts. That isn't Woodson since none of his teams so far have even played as good as the sum of their parts.

Woodson's X's and O's are from the '90s and there have been multiple embarrassing events under his "leadership."

That's why I divided it into two categories: "What fans care about" and the "attributes of a good coach."

Please refer to my list of what fans ultimately care about. It's a four item list, and I ranked the items on the list in order of priority.    ;)

15 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

That's why I divided it into two categories: "What fans care about" and the "attributes of a good coach."

Please refer to my list of what fans ultimately care about. It's a four item list, and I ranked the items on the list in order of priority.    ;)

Yes, wins are what fans care about. It's also what makes differentiates coaches so it's an attribute of a good coach.

2 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

• The Hoosier Hysterics

What do they care about? 

1. WINS - C
  2. WINS - C
  3. WINS - C
  4. no national embarrassments for the program, i.e. arrests or mass defections of players and coaches - B-

• Roster building - B- 
  • NIL building - A, even if concentrated to a few folks, $$ talks
  • X's and O's - C-
  • Preventing embarrassment - C+

Grades filled in for the CMW era

12 minutes ago, Deserthoozier said:

Grades filled in for the CMW era

My program grades:

1. Yr 1 WINS: B-
  2. Yr 2 WINS: B+
  3. Yr 3 WINS: D
  4. no national embarrassments for the program, i.e. arrests or mass defections of players and coaches: A-

Coach attribute grades:

• Roster building: D so far, though I like this year's roster a LOT more
  • NIL building: A
  • X's and O's: C+
  • Preventing embarrassment: C

1 hour ago, Truthhurts said:

If this meeting doesn’t tell you the program has no chance of winning big with MW at the helm, nothing will. 

What if Woodson waited until now because maybe Eric was making a trip to Bloomington anyways at the end of June to have the conversation and didn’t actually force him to jump on a plane to  come specifically to Bloomington to have that conversation?

Also, just because Eric said that Woodson said “I will be the coach as long as I want to be the coach”  doesn’t mean that’s what he actually said…

To me, this scenario seems just as likely considering the source.

4 hours ago, AH1971 said:

Openly hostile lol

Refusing to answer questions at a post game presser with comments like "not going to sit here and answer questions from you or the fans..." and the whole true fans/not true fans" crap at Senior Day. So, yeah, openly hostile.

4 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Refusing to answer questions at a post game presser with comments like "not going to sit here and answer questions from you or the fans..." and the whole true fans/not true fans" crap at Senior Day. So, yeah, openly hostile.

Lol.

Refusing to comment on your job status during a press conference after a game while currently employed does not make one "openly hostile". He's under ZERO obligation, from any media member or fan, to comment on his employment. Nice try though. 

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

My program grades:

1. Yr 1 WINS: B-
  2. Yr 2 WINS: B+
  3. Yr 3 WINS: D
  4. no national embarrassments for the program, i.e. arrests or mass defections of players and coaches: A-

Coach attribute grades:

• Roster building: D so far, though I like this year's roster a LOT more
  • NIL building: A
  • X's and O's: C+
  • Preventing embarrassment: C

I’d say we come up w/roughly the same overall GPA,…solidly in the C range! I didn’t break wins by year, but generally agree.

Lower on embarrassments…Liam McNeely, Boogie, X speed, MM tacos, key in state recruiting no shows until arm twisted, B1G NcAA coaches mtg no shows, sr night statements, plays inside out 90’s style (even if the case, read the room!!) etc.

Solidly mid “C” work…but “It’s Indiana!!!” @$4.5MM a year.

12 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

Lol.

Refusing to comment on your job status during a press conference after a game while currently employed does not make one "openly hostile". He's under ZERO obligation, from any media member or fan, to comment on his employment. Nice try though. 

Those weren't questions on his job status. They were questions on his (bad) coaching decisions. 

2 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Those weren't questions on his job status. They were questions on his (bad) coaching decisions. 

BS, it was directly from this:

"I'm not going to discuss it," Woodson interjected before the reporter could finish their question. "I shouldn't have to sit here in front of you guys and discuss my job. No comment."

That wasn't the end of it, though. Two questions later, when asked if he felt the support of IU's administration, Woodson doubled-down in his response.

"I'm not discussing with you guys my job. I shouldn't have to do that," Woodson said. "I feel good in my skin in terms of my job."

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/article/mike-woodson-says-he-wont-answer-questions-about-recruiting-or-his-job-228312338/

2 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

BS, it was directly from this:

"I'm not going to discuss it," Woodson interjected before the reporter could finish their question. "I shouldn't have to sit here in front of you guys and discuss my job. No comment."

That wasn't the end of it, though. Two questions later, when asked if he felt the support of IU's administration, Woodson doubled-down in his response.

"I'm not discussing with you guys my job. I shouldn't have to do that," Woodson said. "I feel good in my skin in terms of my job."

https://247sports.com/college/indiana/article/mike-woodson-says-he-wont-answer-questions-about-recruiting-or-his-job-228312338/

He also refused to answer questions about recruiting. It's right there in your link. That is a question about how he's doing his job, not about his job. 

In addition, on January 10:

Q: "One of the biggest questions that fans were asking on social media, why were four starters out at the same time versus sort of rolling them through?

WOODSON: "I'm not going to sit here and answer that question when it comes to the fans — or you. 

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/what-indiana-coach-mike-woodson-said-after-loss-at-rutgers-we-were-awful

2 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

He also refused to answer questions about recruiting. It's right there in your link. That is a question about how he's doing his job, not about his job. 

In addition, on January 10:

Q: "One of the biggest questions that fans were asking on social media, why were four starters out at the same time versus sort of rolling them through?

WOODSON: "I'm not going to sit here and answer that question when it comes to the fans — or you. 

https://www.si.com/college/indiana/basketball/what-indiana-coach-mike-woodson-said-after-loss-at-rutgers-we-were-awful

Name one coach in the history of the game that has discussed an incoming or prospective recruit IN A POST GAME PRESSER? You guys are so paranoid that I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you. 

1 hour ago, AH1971 said:

Name one coach in the history of the game that has discussed an incoming or prospective recruit IN A POST GAME PRESSER? You guys are so paranoid that I'm actually starting to feel sorry for you. 

I notice you ignore the second part of the post. 

As to your point in this post, it is totally incorrect. That was not during a post game presser and it wasn't about a specific recruit. Here is the quote from the article you linked.

But again, Woodson didn't do any of that Friday morning in a Zoom press conference. Instead, he answered with the same abruptness that mirrored his response Wednesday night to job-related questions.

Reporter: "I know you guys as a program put a lot of time and effort into the recruiting. How concerned are you at this point in terms of how 2024, the class has turned out to this point?"

Woodson: "I'm not going to talk about recruiting with you guys. I'm just not.

Your blind defense of a bad coach makes me feel sorry for you. 

1 minute ago, go iu bb said:

I notice you ignore the second part of the post. 

As to your point in this point, it is totally incorrect. That was not during a post game presser and it wasn't about a specific recruit. Here is the quote from the article you linked.

But again, Woodson didn't do any of that Friday morning in a Zoom press conference. Instead, he answered with the same abruptness that mirrored his response Wednesday night to job-related questions.

Reporter: "I know you guys as a program put a lot of time and effort into the recruiting. How concerned are you at this point in terms of how 2024, the class has turned out to this point?"

Woodson: "I'm not going to talk about recruiting with you guys. I'm just not.

Your blind defense of a bad coach makes me feel sorry for you. 

So Mike Woodson is the first coach in the history of college basketball to give a standoff(ish) answer regarding in-game strategy in a press-conference after a loss? And that makes him "openly hostile"?

Congratulations Mike, you've joined an elite club along with 361 other D1 college basketball coaches who have answered a question in similar fashion.

Good lord you guys are Charmin soft. 

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

You're as soft as Woody. I'm over your post. People point out where you're wrong and you ignore and feel sorry. Keep following blindly. 

Cool. Feel free not to go out of your way and respond the next time.

Next time I want some bad insider info I'll peep you.