Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 hour ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Gee.  Thought Woodson's coaching record in the Big Ten was 44 - 33.   His teams were in the NCAAT two years out of three.  Last year was a bust...and that is on him for sure.  

That seems like maybe bottom of the top half over the last 3 years at worst.

Am I a Coach Woodson supporter?  I guess...for me the jury is still out.  But he is not yet proven to be a good coach.  Just slightly above average in the Big Ten.  That is not good enough.  But, I wouldn't fire him unless I had a blue-chip coach waiting.  And there are other things that I don't understand why he does them.  But he kept the players he wanted from last year and did really well in the portal.  

These people would lead you to believe Woodson's tenure has rivaled Crean's first 3 seasons. It's laughable. I think people forget Woodson has a winning record against Brad Underwood and is .500 against Izzo and Painter. Those three are widely considered the three best coaches in the B10. He certainly hasn't blown expectations out of the water through 3 years, but far from the dope many are making him out to be.

The crux of the situation is that you had several people on this board fall for the rumors that Woodson was out and was going to be replaced with Bruce Pearl. So many people got their hopes up only to have that dream crushed by the administration and it's turned into complete mob rule ever since. Winning cures all and I'm sure with a good showing this year a large majority of the crybabies will come around, but I'm afraid there will still be a good portion who have doubled and tripled down and will stay miserable just because. Every fan base has those types. 

31-29 in the regular season in the B1G 
7 seed or better next year and he is doing his job. Seems to be the new expectation. I guess winning the offseason goes a very very long way for the true fans. Maybe it's like an average. A for the offseason and C for the season. Give him a solid B. Coach stays.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

7 seed or better next year and he is doing his job. Seems to be the new expectation. I guess winning the offseason goes a very very long way for the true fans. Maybe it's like an average. A for the offseason and C for the season. Give him a solid B. Coach stays.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Middle of the pack B1G team and program for the last 20 years will do that to a fan base  

5 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Gee.  Thought Woodson's coaching record in the Big Ten was 44 - 33.   His teams were in the NCAAT two years out of three.  Last year was a bust...and that is on him for sure.  

Am I a Coach Woodson supporter?  I guess...for me the jury is still out.  But he is not yet proven to be a good coach.  Just slightly above average in the Big Ten.  That is not good enough.  But, I wouldn't fire him unless I had a blue-chip coach waiting.  And there are other things that I don't understand why he does them.  But he kept the players he wanted from last year and did really well in the portal.  

One more time (repeat after me): buying a team in the portal and coaching a P4 team are vastly different animals. At 31-29 in the B1G, Woodson is barely over .500 - so calling him "slightly above average" is kind.

4 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

One more time (repeat after me): buying a team in the portal and coaching a P4 team are vastly different animals. At 31-29 in the B1G, Woodson is barely over .500 - so calling him "slightly above average" is extremely kind.

maybe he is an extremely kind person? I don't see anything wrong with that. 

2 hours ago, AZ Hoosier said:

One more time (repeat after me): buying a team in the portal and coaching a P4 team are vastly different animals. At 31-29 in the B1G, Woodson is barely over .500 - so calling him "slightly above average" is extremely kind.

If .500 is considered average, what else would you call a coach who is slightly above .500? I'm not sure what you're taking exception too lol. 

47 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

This is incredibly confusing... 

31-29 would TECHNICALLY be the EXACT definition of "slightly above average" 

1 hour ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Here is last 3 seasons rankings for B1G coaches via Barttorvik...

image.thumb.png.29baa8bf54f82a6ec7de2527b88e5798.png

...so you are right about him being bottom of top half over 3 seasons by this measure.

44 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Here is last 3 seasons rankings for B1G coaches via Barttorvik...

image.thumb.png.29baa8bf54f82a6ec7de2527b88e5798.png

...so you are right about him being bottom of top half over 3 seasons by this measure.

Same conference record as Chris Collins despite all the advantages IU has over northwestern in basketball. Mediocre Mike - doing less with more. He’d find a way to get blown out of the second round of the ncaa tournament with the New York Knicks. 

46 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Same conference record as Chris Collins despite all the advantages IU has over northwestern in basketball. Mediocre Mike - doing less with more. He’d find a way to get blown out of the second round of the ncaa tournament with the New York Knicks. 

The IU program as a whole has had advantages over most of the B1G for a very long time.  Mediocre program doing less with more not matter who the coach is.  Being a fan of a broken program isn’t fun.   If IU was to underachieve this year and only get a 5 seed in the tourney then only 4 times since 03 would IU have gotten a seed equal or better then that.   Woody isn’t the answer in my opinion but this program has bigger problems than a mediocre coach. The whole program is as my kids today call things  is mid 

From 2003-24 

No Seed because they didn’t make it- 10

1 seed- once

4 seed- twice

5 seed- once 

6 seed- once

7 seed- Twice 

8 seed- once 

10 seed- once

12 seed- once 

one tourney that got canceled but by my projections would of been 8 or 9 seed at the time of cancellation 

People can call him mediocre Mike or defend him to the grave but either  way the IU program as  a whole has bigger problems    Sucks for the fans but that’s where this program is right now.   

The IU program as a whole has had advantages over most of the B1G for a very long time.  Mediocre program doing less with more not matter who the coach is.  Being a fan of a broken program isn’t fun.   If IU was to underachieve this year and only get a 5 seed in the tourney then only 4 times since 03 would IU have gotten a seed equal or better then that.   Woody isn’t the answer in my opinion but this program has bigger problems than a mediocre coach. The whole program is as my kids today call things  is mid 
From 2003-24 
 No Seed because they didn’t make it- 10
1 seed- once
4 seed- twice
5 seed- once 
6 seed- once
7 seed- Twice 
8 seed- once 
10 seed- once
12 seed- once 
one tourney that got canceled but by my projections would of been 8 or 9 seed at the time of cancellation 
People can call him mediocre Mike or defend him to the grave but either  way the IU program as  a whole has bigger problems    Sucks for the fans but that’s where this program is right now.   

The curse of RMK is alive you're saying......

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

3 hours ago, AH1971 said:

If .500 is considered average, what else would you call a coach who is slightly above .500? I'm not sure what you're taking exception too lol. 

I believe the point is that he has competitive advantages being at IU that mean his record is buoyed by those resources which further negatively reflects on Woodsons coaching ability. In this day and age where our NIL budget dwarves other B1G programs a .500 record at IU is actually “below average” from a coaching standpoint given the massive resource advantage.

49 minutes ago, schoosier said:

That ended when he came back. Our problem now is that Wooden cannot coach and if he doesn’t win again this year; it will be his last.

Now we're comparing him to John Wooden?

We're really setting the bar high. 

2 hours ago, J34 said:

Now we're comparing him to John Wooden?

We're really setting the bar high. 

Only when it comes to paying players. Wooden bagman was legendary kinda like Indiana’s NIL. Let’s see how many National Champs Woody hangs?

4 hours ago, schoosier said:

That ended when he came back. Our problem now is that Wooden cannot coach and if he doesn’t win again this year; it will be his last.

I don’t get it when folks say he can’t coach.  I mean he can obviously. Even a mediocre coach can coach pretty well. Is he a good to great coach, well we haven’t seen that yet but he can coach.