Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

I know Mgbako came on much stronger toward the end of conference season, but when you do a side-by-side with Owen Freeman... the co-award is a bit of a head scratcher. Conspiracy theory? We call in a few favors? Lol

conference games only... are very comparable 

1 hour ago, go iu bb said:

"Woodson will be back for another year at Indiana, perhaps to the delight of the rest of the Big Ten."

The media and non-"true fans" don't understand the genius that is Mike Woodson. He has the rest of the conference and country right where he wants them, underestimating his team. He'll use that to win the BTT then a NC. It's all going according to plan. The losing streaks, close wins against bad teams, and blowouts to any team with a pulse were just red herrings to make people think this team isn't very good.

According to Woodson in the MSU post game press conference, he did his job. I'm not sure anyone got $4.2M worth of anything out of him this season. IMO, our best game was a 4-point loss at home to Kansas. Everything else screamed "massive underachievement".

I have to ask the question: "what does he have on Quinn Buckner?" There has to be something more to this.

Just now, OKHOOSIER said:

“Indiana won a national championship?” 

"Our Head Coach Mike Woodson played here once before. Back then they didn't have a 3pt line, coach Woodson believes the games starts and ends in the inside"

4 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

According to Woodson in the MSU post game press conference, he did his job. I'm not sure anyone got $4.2M worth of anything out of him this season. IMO, our best game was a 4-point loss at home to Kansas. Everything else screamed "massive underachievement".

I have to ask the question: "what does he have on Quinn Buckner?" There has to be something more to this.

You can't put a price tag on friendship. 40 years of being best friends and golfing buddies

2 hours ago, SamIam said:

UNC had five in-transfers this year, replaced 3 starters, and currently sit at #4 in the country and #8 in Kenpom. If you are replacing a whole team every year, you aren't going to be good. But Gallo, Leal, Reneau, Mgbako and Cupps have played lot of B1G minutes now. IF Woody can keep those guys, I think that is a decent starting point.

UNC also returned 2 staters that have like 10 years of college experience and played in a national championship game 2 years ago. I agree though if we return Gallo, Malik, and MM that’s a decent core. But those 3 aren’t as good as RJ Davis and Bacot. 

13 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

Nothing more to it. Friendship being put above the program.

15 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I think Reneau is a top priority but I do think he is going to listen to offers from schools down south. 

I think Mgbako is going to test the waters of the NBA but if he doesn't like what he hears he will be back at IU.

Having Reneau creates a predicament.  I like him, but I think having him in as a starter causes us to have roster issues.  He is an offensively talented kid in the post.  Really good.  The issue is that A)he wants to be a 4 and B)what he brings on the offensive end, he often gives right back in the areas where he has room for growth in his game.  If Malik could turn himself into a well rounded 5 over the summer and we got a modern 4 to go along with him, great.  If, as we are being told, we go out and get a "rim protector" we start running into the same issue we have had the past 3 years with a clogged lane.

I think Woodson has a system and style that he is stubbornly clinging to and his personnel has made it easier for him to do that.  Reneau and Race Thompson are the types of players who were good enough to argue, "I am just doing what my roster dictates" when paired with Ware and TJD.  If Reneau left, Woodson may not have that luxury and you could end up with more of a Walker 4 and Ware 5 type of situation where you can actually get your PF out of the way.

10 minutes ago, mamasa said:

100% completely disagree. These are still kids/young men. They absolutely do not need to be practicing all the time, they need their own lives as well. They don't just exist for the enjoyment of fans. If they want to be on social media, let them. If they want to practice, let them. Not our business at all. 

Social media isn't the issue.  It's letting strangers on a message board affect their decision on choosing a school.  They can read social media all day, if that's what they choose.  But, if what they read bothers them so much, they should not continue putting themselves through that.  

The poster I quoted says it will keep recruits from coming to our school.   I find that unsettling to be honest.  I just wouldn't want to deal with a recruit that will have such a hard time worrying about other's opinions when things get difficult.  That's why I said, just stay in the gym and don't frequent the message boards for that type of kid.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Which, coupled with the fact that there has still not been an official announcement, still makes me think that there is a real, not zero chance that he could retire.

Didn't he say earlier in the season in a post game interview that he wasn't going anywhere, and then followed that up on Senior Day with the same thing? I don't think that he has the humility to walk away. I think they're going to have to drag him out kicking and screaming when that time comes.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Having Reneau creates a predicament.  I like him, but I think having him in as a starter causes us to have roster issues.  He is an offensively talented kid in the post.  Really good.  The issue is that A)he wants to be a 4 and B)what he brings on the offensive end, he often gives right back in the areas where he has room for growth in his game.  If Malik could turn himself into a well rounded 5 over the summer and we got a modern 4 to go along with him, great.  If, as we are being told, we go out and get a "rim protector" we start running into the same issue we have had the past 3 years with a clogged lane.

I think Woodson has a system and style that he is stubbornly clinging to and his personnel has made it easier for him to do that.  Reneau and Race Thompson are the types of players who were good enough to argue, "I am just doing what my roster dictates" when paired with Ware and TJD.  If Reneau left, Woodson may not have that luxury and you could end up with more of a Walker 4 and Ware 5 type of situation where you can actually get your PF out of the way.

I agree that we either need to play Reneau at the 5 or if we're getting a rim protector let him go. But no one wants to see two bigs playing together any longer

Have you read other team's message boards?  A recruit better get thicker skin if he chooses his school based on message boards.  He should be in the gym practicing, not worrying about getting his feelings hurt by what someone says on social media.  God help the team that lands such a baby.
Nope, I don't really get into multiple message boards. But apparently, one of our current players' mother has had concerns about the CMW rumors, so this nonsense here just adds to uncertainty retaining players, and/or recruiting new players. If you don't think recruits talk to each other......get over it.

Sent from my SM-S906U using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, Bankshot said:

If there remains chance of actually making a coaching change, it may be smart to wait and do a 'post-portaling' assessment.

If the staffs bombs horrendously enough in the portal it could be a tipping point?

(I'm holding out hope that someone in the administration is rational enough that having Woodson stay isn't a real possibility I guess)

While that might be good overall, it would guarantee a really bad season next year (24-25). But then again, there's no guarantee that we won't see a pretty bad season, either way. 

So, assume you are correct. Who is going to coach? And who will they coach? Doing that will give us another Dakich-esque coach and a Tom Crean rebuild year one roster.