Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

48 minutes ago, IU Prof said:

To keep certain donors happy. The thought being that one more year of Woody would do less damage to the department as a whole than burning that bridge.

Not saying I agree, just giving a reason...

That one doesn't work for me... why would someone wealthy enough to do what they've done want to pour their money down a rat hole? The whole program is imploding, and they keep throwing money at it... unless they have so much money that they need a tax write-off... but still... it just boggles the mind.

2 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

The McNeeley decommit completely changes the dynamic for next season. I would expect Woodson coming back to be revisited.

I think it changes nothing. Chumps like us already think Woody should be gone. The geniuses who make the call don’t care about ball. What the difference is there in fishing one more guy from the portal? I’m not sure where the change comes from, but I’m open to being persuaded.

48 minutes ago, jbeaman9 said:

Archie got 4, so every coach for the rest of time must be given 4 regardless of other factors.

Nope... just Woodson... he's "special"... he was "wronged" by Glass (probably the only thing Glass did right for the program).

Given the dire circumstances, we'll likely only have a chance with guys motivated mostly by the money - not the desire for team success, not to advance their skills.  Maybe there's players who are looking for playing time but they probably won't be difference makers.  The best chance for a major name would be a big who's looking to be the feature player so he can bolt to the NBA at the end of the season.
This is the recipe for failure.
Exactly the point I just made the McNeeleys of the world can all choose top ten programs for similar money and play for winning teams. Woodson will get the leftovers who just want money and aren't good enough for those programs.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

This whole quinn and Scott plan that Woodson can just go buy all these great players in the portal is absurd. Liam just proved its not just about money. All the best portal players will be able to go to schools like Kansas or Arizona do why would they choose iu? Woodson isn't going to be able yo outbid those schools and money is all he hs to offer. They have good programs and winningbto offer.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

It's possible but you'd probably need $15M just for the starting 5 each season.  Another $5M for the bench.  Let the Simon's put their money where their mouth is.  Woody is that bad.  Will take lots of cash.

45 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I would think these next 14 days will be interesting.  I think Woodson definitely returns if we win against Michigan State and our first BTT game.  It could be a different story if we lose our last two.  Once the season ends, we'll see who enters the portal.  My guess is that most of the players will enter the portal or indicate their NBA draft intentions.  That means a total rebuild which will take 2-3 years if done properly.  Does Dolson really want to commit to Woodson for 2-3 more years? If a rebuild is going to be done, bring in an actual college coach to do it.  We've learned that an NBA coach learning on the job is not the answer.   

But remember, entering the portal does not necessarily mean that they are leaving... it would be up to Woodson to bring them back or not if it shifts that direction... and it could work to their advantage to up their NIL... it's not like Woodson would refuse to bring 'em back - he will be desperate for players next season...

Just now, mdiu28 said:

Until we hear from Scott, anything can happen. 

But I suppose Scott doesn't have to actually say anything if he's keeping Woody

We already heard from Scott this past week. He’s Zach’s source. 

1 minute ago, Banksyrules said:

The portal argument is ridiculous. Other programs have the money to go toe to toe with IU.  We're not going to get the best of the best lol. 

Nuh uh, we have the backing of the Simons! Didn't you get the message, lol.

43 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This is bull I can't like or laugh at anything because I have already used mine up for the day. When did they start counting 24 hours ago?

This has only happened one time before and that was Brad Stevens day

Another Buckner rule?

11 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I'll grant you #1.

Your point #2 is pretty damn gutsy given the $$ have spoken their mind and in effect are blackmailing the university to keep him.  Egos are way too big to do an about face and now say OK, go ahead and get a new coach.

Ya Boy AD Scotty D has got b@lls of steel.

(Let's hope anyway)

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I am not gutsy enough to say it's a fait accompli that Woody will be gone; I went with "At least as good a chance of May" as of Woody.

So I'll add point #3: The most I've seen is Zach Osterman stating he has been told Woody will be back and others like Rothstein reporting on what Osterman reported. soooo.... Show me the IU press release confirming this! Until that happens there is lots of wiggle room. 

That is the only thing that has given me hope is I haven't seen Dolson say anything

4 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Until we hear from Scott, anything can happen. 

But I suppose Scott doesn't have to actually say anything if he's keeping Woody

All he has to do is confirm the Indy Star story. Why hasn't he? 

Where is Scott Dolson?

3 minutes ago, Trish said:

We already heard from Scott this past week. He’s Zach’s source. 

I believe that to be true but Dolson didn't want his name on it. He'll have to speak to the media or release something after the season.