Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Blue bloods don’t hire aging coaches near retirement either.   

If the L’ville rumor if true, that’s a big time move.  
What rumor

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Curious of y'all's opinion on this:  who would recruit Indiana better, and who has a better reputation with Indiana high school coaches, Pearl or May?  (and I'm just asking.  I don't know the answer, and I'm not suggesting this should be the deciding factor as to which one should get the job)

4 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

I just don't know how it can be a done deal when the season is still going on. Also if things are leaking this much Woodson would have to also know all of this now. You would think it would be kept very quiet so not sure what to believe.

This is strictly me hypothesizing based on nothing but internet gossip, so take with mounds of salt obviously. 

Some of the smoke yesterday, on various forums, IMO alluded to Bruce Pearl indicating he'd be open to the terms IU shared through back channels. That may have been when he also brought up his "most important" ask of having his son as HCIW. 

Which would explain why the tone is a lot more negative today. Knowing that would be a tough sell could present a number of issues making this already tough job a lot harder on Dolson. 

I'm not too surprised that we're hearing quite a few rumors at this point, given the internal politics at hand. Probably an open secret that Dolson is trying to get Woody out and Woody is trying to cling on by stringing together wins while his supporters provide cover. 

Again that's entirely my own speculation. That's where I think the rest of the season is actually pretty important. 

It looks like an uphill battle right now. Rooting for Dolson hard on this tbh

Just now, IUHoosierJoe said:

Curious of y'all's opinion on this:  who would recruit Indiana better, and who has a better reputation with Indiana high school coaches, Pearl or May?  (and I'm just asking.  I don't know the answer, and I'm not suggesting this should be the deciding factor as to which one should get the job)

Pearl is proven, so i think right now, his word would pull more weight for the higher ranked recruits. 
Dusty would sure have a strong word, but he has not proven himself at a big P5 school, so some may be wary

Totally a guess and assumption. 

1 hour ago, 8bucks said:

It just keeps getting thrown around as fact but I am not sure what people expect.  We want a competitive coach who cares about IU but if he does not quit this year it is because of his huge ego.   

I agree with the ego.

This is strictly me hypothesizing based on nothing but internet gossip, so take with mounds of salt obviously. 
Some of the smoke yesterday, on various forums, IMO alluded to Bruce Pearl indicating he'd be open to the terms IU shared through back channels. That may have been when he also brought up his "most important" ask of having his son as HCIW. 
Which would explain why the tone is a lot more negative today. Knowing that would be a tough sell could present a number of issues making this already tough job a lot harder on Dolson. 
I'm not too surprised that we're hearing quite a few rumors at this point, given the internal politics at hand. Probably an open secret that Dolson is trying to get Woody out and Woody is trying to cling on by stringing together wins while his supporters provide cover. 
Again that's entirely my own speculation. That's where I think the rest of the season is actually pretty important. 
It looks like an uphill battle right now. Rooting for Dolson hard on this tbh
I have no doubt these wins are helping Woodson alot. Hard to get our hopes up too much with pearl because in the past we always get let down in coaching rumors.

17 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

We knew we were in for an emotional roller coaster with the possibility of a search... still not an actual opening. 

And very well may not be one this year. The vibes right now definitely suggest Pearl is using this as leverage to get what he wants from AU and that Dusty would be a hard sell over Woodson for a lot of key people who are in the mix. 

Maybe the last few games do matter quite a bit from that perspective, since this entire process is apparently very optics-driven. Woody may pull off a Mark Twain "The reports of my death (retirement/firing) have been great exaggerated." 

But, the vibes could change again plenty of times over the next few weeks. I'm going to try and mentally prepare for no change

Yep. Earliest I could see an announcment is two weeks from today. Crean was fired 2 days after their season ended. Archie I think was 4. I love reading the board and thinking of what ifs/what's going on but until it happens...

41 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't truly think anyone has Dusty May #1. 

....my old IU roommate and Dusty's former AAU coach wants him to IU badly...lol My old roommate graduated from Linton, IN ('83) and Dusty graduated in '95 from Eastern Green in Bloomfield IN.

He does try to stay in touch with him, but hasn't spoken to him for a few months.

Obvious reasons....

I know the majority of us really want a change and if it doesn't happen we will be disappointed. Saying that  I will still root for this team next year and watch every game like I always do. My team is on the floor and there are just a few things to make me not watch IU.  Having Woodson back as coach isn't one of those things.

I know the majority of us really want a change and if it doesn't happen we will be disappointed. Saying that  I will still root for this team next year and watch every game like I always do. My team is on the floor and there are just a few things to make me not watch IU.  Having Woodson back as coach isn't one of those things.
I doubt I would Woodson has drained out all my excitement and trying to regain it won't be easy with him around.

2 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I’ll probably do what I did this year. Keep tabs on scores. Watch a big game and then check scores until football season is over. Then watch if I have nothing else planned. 

If getting Pearl requires IU naming his son as the coach-in-waiting then I want no part of that. 
JMO. It isn't worth the risk.
Plans can change. That can be the plan at the time of hiring Pearl.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

If Woody’s back for year 4, with a pretty bare cupboard, while OSU, UL, UM all load up with hope and potential, getting their pick of the litter of the best of the current crop, it’s clearly mismanagement and a bold signal regarding the admins prioritization of fielding winning men’s basketball. Even Quinn has to see that. A lot of long term fans will internet  it as the nail in the coffin it is.

I’m on board w/Pearl being a proven commodity and really like that he has signed the #1 PG, and one of the top SG’s coming in next year. He also just hosted another of the top recruits in the country. What are the rules for players being able to decommit and follow their coach when they leave a program?

Another, perhaps more important question — what are a school/AD’s ability to ‘lock-up’ another coach, pre-position opening/pre-end of season for the other guy. Can anything contractual be put in place w/penalties to help ensure/force commitments — or is it all just verbal back channeling through agents and others? Seems like we got played during the BS saga, caught with pants down which then stuck us with a long term Woody! How does the admin prevent Pearl from just using IU to get everything he ever wanted, and more from UA…and we end up day late/dollar short with what’s left in the coaching cycle and are forced to keep our Woody, or find another?

If it’s just on verbal/back-channels and hopes, then I’m not certain Pearl is realistic, as the risk of getting jilted again might be too great.

13 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

That is the way it should be. Sadly, I have checked out on IUBB this season. The last game I watched live was Rutgers until halftime, then Minnesota and OSU on delay after seeing the result. Once the underperforming and bad losses starting puling up, I just quit. I stopped watching, & reading about IU. This is my first post here since sometime in January, I think. I did watch the MD game on DVR last night when I saw they won. And of course I am thrilled IU won and hope they win out through the FF to the NC! ....but truthfully I am pretty apathetic at the moment. I didn't like the Woodson hire, but don't necessarily want him fired, I just want them to consistently play hard & smart for a whole season. That hasn't happened in long, long time. 

Anyway, that is my Eeyore routine.