Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

For Dolson to make a move this year it had to be a big name to get board approve that is why Pearl was mentioned. But we still reached out to Dusty but Dolson found out that didn't move the needle after reaching out

Whose needle was not moved? Are you talking about the BoT's needle or Dusty's? Honest question, as someone posted many pages ago that Dusty may not be as interested in IU as we want to think. Food for thought.

1 minute ago, iubhounds2 said:

But it DOES happen today .... Illinois player had to hire a lawyer to sue the school for him to get back on the team this year. Amazing. Can't remember his name right now.

Terrence shannon jr.

Just now, RoncalliHoosier said:

Whose needle was not moved? Are you talking about the BoT's needle or Dusty's? Honest question, as someone posted many pages ago that Dusty may not be as interested in IU as we want to think. Food for thought.

People love saying that about Dusty but I don't believe it to be true. 

46 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

Can you believe this was posted on Twitter this morning? Is this the first step in the transfer portal by the IU staff? IMO it's ridiculous. 

IUbb.png

Maybe this means that no one is leaving?

2 hours ago, KnightsChair said:

Wouldn't logic predicate that Pearl will be interested in an opening if it were to occur next year?

Or will Pearl never be approved by the BoT? To me, the silver lining is that we aren’t willing to roll the dice on a “flavor of the month” HC hire.

Also, in the spirit of silver linings - I’m seeing quite a few guards hit the portal. All who can shoot better than anyone on our current roster.

I find that somewhat laughable. The BoT would not be interested in a Dusty May who built a contender from a nobody and got a deep run in the tournament, but they were OK with hiring a mediocre NBA coach with ZERO college experience and an extremely low energy level, AND give him a lame duck unwarranted 4th year. Help me understand this crap if it's something besides pure, unadulterated corrupt nepotism.

2 hours ago, JF87 said:

The Woodson supporters keep pushing it has to be a big name or a "proven" P5 coach because they know the odds of getting a P5 coach from a winning program are extremely rare.  Coaches don't leave winning P5 programs for another unless they are returning to their alma mater.  One of the few exceptions was Bill Self, but that was a no-brainer.  

What has Woodson proven beyond the fact that he's not the guy, he can't be the guy, doesn't have the drive to be the guy, but in his mind, he's been the guy?

Should Gunn and Banks leave, that means 4 portal players are needed at minimum. That doesn't even account for Ware going pro.

If I'm Reneau or Mgbako, there's no way I'm not testing the waters to see what else is out there. I would want to play in a better situation even if it meant a pay cut.

This is going to go so poorly.

We might as well stop with the Pearl talk (or chill with it in honor of Anthony Leal). 

It's not happening. We are riding with Woodson right over the cliff for next year.  

If you are firing Woodson, the earlier the better. Even if Woodson strikes out in the portal(like I fully expect), it's too late. This team is done. You have already made your bed and you have to live with it. I cannot imagine any coach would want to come in after the portal closes to try and clean things up until next year. 

2 minutes ago, iubhounds2 said:

But it DOES happen today .... Illinois player had to hire a lawyer to sue the school for him to get back on the team this year. Amazing. Can't remember his name right now.

Honestly I was more so thinking about the professional leagues with my comment and forgot about the Illinois guy. The nba didn’t suspend Kobe at all during that. That’s not happening today. The legal system will do its thing and in the Illinois case said the player could play, but post-MeToo sexual assault allegations are treated differently and I don’t think we’d see Steve Alford handle it the same way now as he did then. But in any event it doesn’t really matter because he’ll never be the coach at IU. Plus, you can get his results from someone else who doesn’t have that event in his past. 

1 minute ago, Ghost of Rick Majerus said:

We might as well stop with the Pearl talk (or chill with it in honor of Anthony Leal). 

It's not happening. We are riding with Woodson right over the cliff for next year.  

If you are firing Woodson, the earlier the better. Even if Woodson strikes out in the portal(like I fully expect), it's too late. This team is done. You have already made your bed and you have to live with it. I cannot imagine any coach would want to come in after the portal closes to try and clean things up until next year. 

Just FYI, the portal closing doesn’t mean you can’t still sign kids out of the portal.  It simply means kids can no longer put their name in it.

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

They won't care next year if it is a proven guy or not. They only cared that it was a proven guy to take over for Woodson this year.

Quinn is going to let them hire whoever they want next time. It could be a high school kid

When does his term expire (date)? I know that it's up next year but when? Early? EOY? Will Buckner still be there in March to approve/reject the hire?

2 hours ago, TadQueasy said:

I have a hard time believing that he is going to go from super involved, to completely hands off hire who ever you want?  

Not when you put it all in context. This has been all about protecting his buddy. Absolute nepotism. There ought to be a law.

Should Gunn and Banks leave, that means 4 portal players are needed at minimum. That doesn't even account for Ware going pro.
If I'm Reneau or Mgbako, there's no way I'm not testing the waters to see what else is out there. I would want to play in a better situation even if it meant a pay cut.
Yep many just assume mm and mr are coming back based on money. It's not always about solely money. They may actually want to play on a good team.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

5 minimum. Don't forget portal expert Woody couldn't land a guard last year when we needed one and left a scholly open all year. 

24 minutes ago, RoncalliHoosier said:

My response is not about Dusty, per se, but this whole thing is a real head scratcher. Can somebody help me understand the thought process? It would appear that this is all about making Woodson feel good about himself and not hurting his feelings

If Woodson has, at most, one year, and he currently has zero recruits and he's hoping to rent a team for 2024-25 via the transfer portal, WHY? Why put the program and the fanbase through this BS? The odds are tremendously against success, and even if he were to be successful, they will burn that down to hire whatever coach they can get next year. And in the meantime, we're spending $4.5M on a lame duck coach, and untold millions of the Cooks and Simons money to rent the players. It just makes ZERO sense. I don't think that it's naiveté on the part of the administration. I don't think that anyone truly believes Woodson will be able to pull it off. And even on the outside chance that it's even remotely successful, what have we gained, aside from letting our next coach end up at another school and therefore out of reach?

It's just more of the ridiculous stupidity that we've seen and had to endure as fans for the past 25 years.

Just. Make. It. Stop. 

I'm not sure they are committed to the "Woodson has one more year" idea.  If he does enough to make the tournament next year, he'll get another.  And then another, and another, and on it goes.