Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

Thank you for sharing this.  There is something here that bothers me though.
He wouldn't want to come here because he doesn't think we'd give him adequate time??  For f*** sake, we keep coaches too long!  Louisville did the smart thing and fired their coach after two years and he's interested in them?
That just doesn't make sense.

I know. “If you win there, you’re king. But if you lose, everyone turns on you.” That’s (I believe) word for word from our conversation. Again, I would argue that’s everywhere, but it’s not my place to try to reason that with family.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah, I would think he would have his choice. This person also said that they “spoke to him last week,” so the Louisville job probably wasn’t open yet. I hope you’re right about IU. It pretty much made me lose hope about that, even if he was offered. Just to be clear, I don’t blame Dusty at all. Just kinda felt like a gut punch.

More than a gut punch. ... That's an Xavier Johnson nut grab!!

I had heard through a mutual friend I have with Dusty that they thought he'd rather stay in Boca then move to Columbus.... that too was before Louisville opened.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, ap2345 said:

I might become a Louisville fan if he takes that job. They will start taking players from IU left and right because they will have an IU flavor just a little further south and will actually focused on winning. 

Meanwhile at Indiana will have a banked scholarship, 3 flawed guards, 2 Payton Sparks from the portal to go along with the current one, and a 4 playing the 3. 

9 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

But we’re too dumb to figure that out. We’re just going to run it back with Woody.

Any ideas on anyone outside of Banks, Gunn and Cupps(???) that will be moving on? Come Monday are we going to be upset with news of who will be leaving?

2 minutes ago, Mr. Hoosier Pride said:

More than a gut punch. ... That's an Xavier Johnson nut grab!!

I had heard through a mutual friend I have with Dusty that they thought he'd rather stay in Boca then move to Columbus.... that too was before Louisville opened.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

That was before he was being offered 3.5 million for 6-7 years.

Just now, cbp4iu said:

Meanwhile at Indiana will have a banked scholarship, 3 flawed guards, 2 Payton Sparks from the portal to go along with the current one, and a 4 playing the 3. 

And a HC that doesn’t like to recruit, likes to bash the fan base, throws players under the bus, doesn’t hold players accountable, skips his weekly radio segment pretty regularly, has issues with other IU programs, and just thinks he’s untouchable. 

Just now, cbp4iu said:

Any ideas on anyone outside of Banks, Gunn and Cupps(???) that will be moving on? Come Monday are we going to be upset with news of who will be leaving?

Mgbako is going to test NBA waters but will most likely be back. I think Reneau will be back because we’re over paying.

5 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

Winning solves everything in sports. 

Crean got 9 years and was fired due to his inability to make in-game adjustments and a mediocre record in the NCAA tournament.

Archie got 4 years and was fired for the same reason Woody will eventually get canned - program trajectory trending down. Coaches are fired more much less these days but I can't say I disagree with Dusty's assessment of us if this is true. The fans can be brutal. That's because we care and are tired of mediocrity. OSU is a football school first and always will be. The noise will never get loud for the bball coach bc fans over there just don't really care. I guess that's nice for the coach but also depressing. 

Remove $$$ from the equation and I'd say if he had a choice between IU, OSU, and Louisville - OSU should be last on that list.

Getting pantsed by a zone defense when we should have made a final four didn’t help either hahaha 

8 minutes ago, DLG3 said:

I know. “If you win there, you’re king. But if you lose, everyone turns on you.” That’s (I believe) word for word from our conversation. Again, I would argue that’s everywhere, but it’s not my place to try to reason that with family.

One reason I think Dusty lean’s Louisville is because they’re Adidas. He’s Adidas. Those relationships matter.

I think context is always important. People turned on Woodson quickly because he was someone no one asked for or thought was qualified to begin with. People gave him a chance but we have seen the same problems each year get worse. Now he has no recruiting class. I agree part of the problem is fans are so restless from the years of just making stupid hire after stupid hire. It was never the fans fault these coaches didn't work out 
Nobody wanted him except some over 60 year olds living in the past. The hire was a gut punch.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

That was before he was being offered 3.5 million for 6-7 years.

I am with you, he has to strike now. FAU is such a terrible job, he can’t afford to do another build. They are going to lose enough that he’s gonna have to develop another group (which for the record I am sure he would), but his earning power and career prospects aren’t getting higher at FAU than they are now. He has to move up. I don’t think most people realize just how hard winning at a place like that is. IU football is an easier job than FAU basketball. 

10 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I thought players were supposed to get money on their Name, Image, and likeness?  I can’t see how some of these players are getting that much of a fat paycheck unless it’s not really based on Name, Image, and Likeness, just what the coach and school want to give you. Am I missing something here?

It seems like a damn free for all!

Because NIL was just a front to get players paid to play. Has nothing to do with name, image and likeness.

Just now, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Whatever 5, 6 or 7 seed gets them isn't going to be happy.

I think I’ve just picked bad games to watch them maybe. I haven’t been impressed. They went like 6+ minutes in this game without a bucket.