Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

4 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Which scares me that the Dolson plan will involve Woodson coaching 1-2 more years and hiring an assistant coach that will be the announced successor. Any plan that involves Woodson returning doesn't excite me at all.  

I can't see that happening for any "coach in waiting", and most assuredly not if the goal is Pearl. Dolson needs to find a way to end the Woodson experiment so he/we can move on.

I don't get the sense that Buckner is opposed to moving on from Woodson. I think he is vehemently opposed to moving on from Woodson after one bad year without any kind of contingency plan in place. Firing Woodson is one thing, but it's still only half the battle. I think the last thing in the world Buckner wants is to shell out a bunch of money to make Woodson go away while not having any kind of plan in place and the new coaching search ends in a national media charade where the job is publicly turned down multiple times and IU is stuck with a tier 3 or 4 candidate.  

Edited by AH1971

18 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Which scares me that the Dolson plan will involve Woodson coaching 1-2 more years and hiring an assistant coach that will be the announced successor. Any plan that involves Woodson returning doesn't excite me at all.  

Won't happen.  If there's a change it will be a complete break.  And what competent person would want to come into our situation knowing he had to kiss Woody's a$$ for even 1-year?

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Won't happen.  If there's a change it will be a complete break.  And what competent person would want to come into our situation knowing he had to kiss Woody's a$$ for even 1-year?

Correct. The Matt Painter leaving SIU to sit next to Keady for a year just doesn't happen without the weirdest of circumstances.

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Him going to the F4 and losing... maybe that would be him coming to the realization he can't win one at AU? 

Hopefully it won’t matter and Dolson would have a solid backup idea.

50 minutes ago, IndyHoops said:

The only way I see this working is if Woodson, Pearl, Auburn, and IU are all willing to negotiate all the numbers. 

The Colorado Buffaloes didn't have the money to pay Deion Sanders when they hired him.  They banked on him being able to bring about a change that would increase the value of the program.

19 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I don't get the sense that Buckner is opposed to moving on from Woodson. I think he is vehemently opposed to moving on from Woodson after one bad year without any kind of contingency plan in place. Firing Woodson is one thing, but it's still only half the battle. I think the last thing in the world Buckner wants is to shell out a bunch of money to make Woodson go away while not having any kind of plan in place and the new coaching search ends in a national media charade where the job is publicly turned down multiple times and IU is stuck with a tier 3 or 4 candidate.  

My guess, and this is just me guessing, Woodson would not be fired/let go unless an agreement was in place with the next coach. We wouldn't let him go and then reach out to coaches and be like "hey, what up". Again, just my guess without any knowledge how it all goes on

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Him going to the F4 and losing... maybe that would be him coming to the realization he can't win one at AU? 

Maybe, though if you can get there twice, you have a real shot. I think Auburn would also be inclined to meet whatever demands he’d make to stay in that case, up to and including a Cal-style perpetual renewal and making Stephen the coach-in waiting.

This will only be the 13th time they make the dance in the program’s history. Pearl has their only F4, otherwise their deepest runs are the ‘86 elite 8, and sweet sixteens in ‘85, ‘99, and ‘03.

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don’t see Donovan and Stevens as being comparable to this situation. Neither of them were even coaching college basketball at the time. Stevens hated recruiting, and Donovan had literally zero connection to IU. Pearl just gushed about the IU job this past November. Doesn’t mean he’ll come here, but it’s not nothing. 

Interesting that Pearl was born in Boston, graduated from Boston College, and has apparently dreamed about coaching at IU for decades.

Brad grew up in Indiana, was raised a huge IU fan, and now works for the Celtics.

1 minute ago, cleeter said:

My guess, and this is just me guessing, Woodson would not be fired/let go unless an agreement was in place with the next coach. We wouldn't let him go and then reach out to coaches and be like "hey, what up". Again, just my guess without any knowledge how it all goes on

That's how I interpret it as well. And not just any coach though, but a steady and proven coach. I think Buckner can man up and admit he made a mistake if we're replacing Woodson with someone like Bruce Pearl. 

We'll probably true this cannot continue another year they gotta get something done with a new coach. Woodson isn't magically going to improve next year.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk