Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

2 hours ago, Artie86 said:

Unfortunately that was one of Coach Knights traits too… However he seemed to be able to back it up.

Again exactly but there has to be a balance.  Everyone has to answer to someone and BK felt like he didn’t.  The next coach has to realize that and the administration has to have confidence that he does.  Again, there has to be a balance on both sides!

Hopefully that plan includes Buckner, the BoT and the donors... otherwise, it's gonna miss.
Sounds like quinn is har no on a change I read. As long as quinn is around we are stuck with this dumpster fire for years to come.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Or Pearl is using IU as leverage to get a raise and have his son designated as the head coach in waiting at Auburn.  Pearl has been at Auburn for 10 years.  I'm sure that he and his wife have developed a lot of friends at Auburn.  At 64, I don't see him wanting to pick up and start over again.  I think the IU fanbase is getting way too excited about the Pearl rumors.  

Dude, you're harshing my mellow.

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

I was speaking more about NCAA issues, he hasn't been exactly been 1000% clean.

Neither was Sampson, but we hired him.  It didn’t end to well, but those infractions are legal now.  Matter-of-fact, with NIL, there isn’t much these days that aren’t illegal 

22 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

Well maybe since 007 is in a meeting now, I can go to my meeting and not have to come back to another 10-15 pages to catch back up on! I need to get some work done today guys! :103:

Retirement is nice... wish Woodson would try it out right about now.

Sounds like quinn is har no on a change I read. As long as quinn is around we are stuck with this dumpster fire for years to come.

Just curious, do you think Quinn is pulling the strings here? Do you think he is terrible? How ugly do you think it will get if we keep Woodson?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, TadQueasy said:

That is true.  

I also must say I find it amusing how fast things have changed to Pearl being seen in a positive light here as a possible coach.  The last couple go arounds he has been seen in a very negative light.  

It is a hard situation to not get your hopes up.  But we have went through the Donovan ordeal.  The Stevens ordeal.  Now who is the next person to walk that path and then we end up with a less than stellar selection.  

I want to be positive that there is still a bright future for IU Basketball, but more and more I feel like things have passed us by and we will never be more than what we have been for the last few years.  Maybe an occasional sweet 16 run, but more times than not we are a bubble team or a NIT team. 

Yeah... especially because we have been here before. Billy and Brad, I'm looking at you.

Come on guys,  Pearl's age is a none issue.  We're talking coaching basketball, not running for or being President of the USA....lol.  Honestly, 60 something isn't that old anymore.   And just because they carry a little extra weight, doesn't mean they are going to drop dead soon.  My aunt Flossie (true name) was the size of our sofa and she lived to be 87 with a clear mind and sense of humor.  I'm sure there are old guys on this site that still function quite well.  Our new football coach seems quite alert and active to me.

The problem with being over 60 is making big changes.  Pearl doesn't need to make changes as a coach of college ball.  When Woodson was hired he made a comment about always listening to advice, and surrounding himself with people that could help win games.  That just hasn't been the case.  His assistants are either clueless, or they enjoy their perks and keep their mouths shut.  Hanging around NBA friends, rich donors,  being celebrities on campus,  and earning good money is hard to beat.

Woodson coming back next year without TJD, or a healthy X (haha), isn't going to end  well.  It's time to put this experiment to bed. IMO.

13 minutes ago, Adillac said:

It would seem a little improbable for IU to buyout Woody and Pearl and then pay Pearl a huge salary. That's a lot of dough. 

Mark Cuban just sold majority stake in the Mavericks.  Sure, other doners will help but I don't see money being the reason it wouldn't get done

4 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Retirement is nice... wish Woodson would try it out right about now.

I am only half retired (medically from the Army), I had to join the civilian side of the army to make a living for another 17 years!

18 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

You ain't getting me this time.  Stevens doesn't even coach anymore.  :)  

Plus, he runs a team with a legit shot at an NBA championship. He isn't walking away from that.

Just curious, do you think Quinn is pulling the strings here? Do you think he is terrible? How ugly do you think it will get if we keep Woodson?

Seems to be common knowledge quinn is the reason we hired Woodson his good buddy. And quinn isnt firing his good buddy. They will run this baby right into the ground if they have to but they think this year was a fluke and he is all aboard the Woodson train. He is delusional.

4 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Mark Cuban just sold majority stake in the Mavericks.  Sure, other doners will help but I don't see money being the reason it wouldn't get done

I don't know if it's true, but I've always read that Cuban doesn't donate to the basketball team. Not sure why he would start now just because he sold the Mavs. It's not like he didn't have the money to donate before.

1 minute ago, kottke said:

I don't know if it's true, but I've always read that Cuban doesn't donate to the basketball team. Not sure why he would start now just because he sold the Mavs. It's not like he didn't have the money to donate before.

sure, but if money was truly the concern Cuban has alot more now than prior to selling the team.  He may not donate to basketball specifically but that wouldn't/shouldn't stop him from donating to IU in general, right?

Seems to be common knowledge quinn is the reason we hired Woodson his good buddy. And quinn isnt firing his good buddy. They will run this baby right into the ground if they have to but they think this year was a fluke and he is all aboard the Woodson train. He is delusional.

I know man, just pointing out that you’ve repeated the same thing over and over anytime a new promising idea comes up. All love, just messing with you.

2 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

Which scares me that the Dolson plan will involve Woodson coaching 1-2 more years and hiring an assistant coach that will be the announced successor. Any plan that involves Woodson returning doesn't excite me at all.  

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

From what I have heard we have a really good plan going forward. We just need to let Dolson work. 

Is the plan towards a specific coach or just to get rid of the one we have?

5 minutes ago, kottke said:

I believe Cuban takes care of the big time donations and steers the rest of the Jimmies and Joes (every other donor not named Cook or Simon-Skjodt) to donate towards athletics or other small project endeavors.