Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Fire Coach Woodson Thread

1 minute ago, lillurk said:

Dayton has spent ~100 years supporting basketball institutionally like most Catholic schools and has NIT banners (from a time that meant more), tournament appearances, and infrastructure to prove it.

FAU is a commuter school with no basketball history.

Arch still has never had a top 25 offense or defense in any season on Kenpom, nor a top 25 finish. May has both.

You’re definitely misinterpreting my comments regarding Dusty May. He could absolutely kill it here. But at the same time he could absolutely bomb and do it quickly. I don’t think he’s the guaranteed grand slam that you think he is.

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Archie Miller went to an elite eight and made four straight tournaments before coming to IU. His last four years at Dayton he went 26-11, 27-9, 25-8, and 24-8. Overall he won 69% of his games, and 67% of his conference. Yes, he had a better resume at the time IU hired him than Dusty May currently has.

Why do the Dusty fans have such a hard time accepting that he's a very risky hire in a lot of people’s minds? If he was Dusty May, former Central Michigan manager, the desire would not be nearly as strong. But, he’s an “IU guy,” so his question marks get looked past. 

There is certainly revisionist history on people that say Archie Miller's resume wasn't good when he came to IU.  It was a solid resume.  Soild resumes aren't guarantees.

But in terms of Dusty May's resume, his name is going to be coming up for a lot P5 jobs, not just IU.  And that's not because he was a manager at IU.

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

There is certainly revisionist history on people that say Archie Miller's resume wasn't good when he came to IU.  It was a solid resume.  Soild resumes aren't guarantees.

But in terms of Dusty May's resume, his name is going to be coming up for a lot P5 jobs, not just IU.  And that's not because he was a manager at IU.

All very true. I think the same could be said about Archie Miller. I think most thought he was a shoe in for Ohio State job but OSU kind of dragged their feet in moving on from Matta. Had they mutually parted ways a few months earlier, Archie probably takes the OSU job instead.

Edited by AH1971

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I picked a school at random to make my point that if he didn’t have any IU affiliation, fans wouldn’t be so adamant about him. Coincidentally he actually was an assistant at Eastern Michigan. 

Schools are going to take a look at him because he’s the flavor of the month. Guys going deep into the tournament and parlaying that into a better job is nothing new. I simply have no appetite for another rebuild. Absolutely none. My fandom can’t take more of it. 

Really flavor of the last 12-14 months. He could have taken a P5 last year.

The accusation that May has some IU shine blinding people is true in a way of Pearl, too, who has regional connections and a history of speaking highly of the IU opportunity

15 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Dusty May is certainly a legitimate P5 coaching candidate and he very well could succeed at IU or another P5 school. I’ve never said that he couldn’t. But I 100% believe that the fervent desire for him expressed by some is because he was a manager at IU. The IU connection is important for some people. It doesn’t matter at all to me. A coach could be an alum of Pyongyang University of Science and Technology for all I care. I want as risk-free of a hire as we can get. If we swing and miss and then end up with Dusty May, fine. We could (and have!) done worse. But in no world would he be my first swing, or even my third.

3 minutes ago, lillurk said:

The accusation that May has some IU shine blinding people is true in a way of Pearl, too, who has regional connections and a history of speaking highly of the IU opportunity

The history of speaking highly of the IU opportunity is mentioned as a reason why Pearl would consider leaving Auburn for IU, not as a big plus in his favor.

8 minutes ago, lillurk said:

I’d say his success at multiple stops spanning 4 decades is a much bigger draw. 

8 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

I’d say his success at multiple stops spanning 4 decades is a much bigger draw. 

To be clear I like Pearl and think he’s clearly good! I do worry about downside risk, even setting aside health or age-related retirement.

As Demo pointed out, his son is the next in line at Auburn and would likely want a similar anointing at IU. He may be great but that sort of patrilineal succession has mixed results.

And sometimes you just let the game pass you by as you age. Or you hit a wall and only have five years left, not ten.

Anyway, I’m confident he’s a short-term upgrade. But the anti-May case seems to assume he’s just like Arch, or [insert failed mid-major coach here — this is a smaller category than some realize IMO]. Pearl has risk too.

3 hours ago, AH1971 said:

Anyone else think Chris Mack could be a viable candidate? Would anyone be in favor of him? I'm not going to pretend to know why it didn't work out at Louisville, but his record at Xavier speaks for itself. He was actually my preferred candidate to replace Crean. 

Vanderbilt 

38 minutes ago, Mopladysman said:

Not sure your point.  Please explain. 

It wasn't a point.  I was asking an honest question, whether you were referring to IU's final four 23 years ago or Pearl's one final four in the approximately 23 years since he started coaching D1. I didn't see anybody's post you were quoting from so I didn't know what you were referring to.

7 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

It wasn't a point.  I was asking an honest question, whether you were referring to IU's final four 23 years ago or Pearl's one final four in the approximately 23 years since he started coaching D1. I didn't see anybody's post you were quoting from so I didn't know what you were referring to.

Apologies.  It was in response to a statement about pearl.