Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

lillurk

A Case for Dusty May

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Gainesville is a four hour drive from FAU; Orlando (UCF) is a three hour drive. So it's not like those college kids are coming over for dinner. Both of those towns have easy access to the Orlando airport, which has direct flights to almost anywhere.

I would think that given the pay and resources of a larger program, he'd be able to get together with his college kids as much as he wants no matter where he goes. Nothing like a $4 million/year pay increase to allow for unlimited family travel.

Are his kids any good? We’d have somewhere between 3 and 10 roster spots to fill in this hypothetical. Family dinner at Cook Hall baby!

7 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

Are his kids any good? We’d have somewhere between 3 and 10 roster spots to fill in this hypothetical. Family dinner at Cook Hall baby!

https://floridagators.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/jack-may/16016 

https://ucfknights.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/season/2023-24/player/charlie-may

A couple of young walk-ons. There’s always room for that. Of course, there was also room for them at FAU, so they probably wanted a non-dad college experience.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Jack May……just be the veteran presence we’re looking for. 

Charlie May…………grow into a solid contributor. 

(I’ll be here all week)

12 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Sounds like if they work really hard they could have a “Leal-like” impact.

Don't remember when but RMK was addressing a crowd and someone asked him a question about Glen Grunwald's injury and I think was hoping Bobby would "oh poor Glen" etc.  Instead, he said to the effect don't worry about Glen Grunwald he'll be a success.  In my mind that's Anthony.  IU career won't be what he hoped for or expected but  he's going to be successful in life.

54 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Don't remember when but RMK was addressing a crowd and someone asked him a question about Glen Grunwald's injury and I think was hoping Bobby would "oh poor Glen" etc.  Instead, he said to the effect don't worry about Glen Grunwald he'll be a success.  In my mind that's Anthony.  IU career won't be what he hoped for or expected but  he's going to be successful in life.

I tried helping him out by having the Leal Deal at Mother Bears last night. It was ok. Probably wouldn't get it again. But wanted to do my part. I like the Malik burger much better

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

I tried helping him out by having the Leal Deal at Mother Bears last night. It was ok. Probably wouldn't get it again. But wanted to do my part. I like the Malik burger much better

Just wait for the Cig Cigar when real football returns.  :)  

53-8 (26-3) with a final four, conference championship, conference tournament championship since the start of last season. Never had a losing season at a school that only had one winning season in the decade before he got there. 

Why are people so down on Dusty? Why is he Archie Miller, as I have seen so many say? Why is he not Brad Stevens? Really curious. 

I get wanting a proven winner from a power conference. That would be my wish, just not sure that coach is out there other than Pearl or Beard (no thanks imo) and I don't see IU hiring them. I don't see Scott Drew leaving Baylor.

My fear is that Larranaga at Miami or Leonard Hamilton at Florida State will retire after this season.  If one of those universities would offer Dusty, we could end up missing out.  I don't think we can assume that Dusty would be willing to wait another year on the IU job.    

2 minutes ago, JF87 said:

My fear is that Larranaga at Miami or Leonard Hamilton at Florida State will retire after this season.  If one of those universities would offer Dusty, we could end up missing out.  I don't think we can assume that Dusty would be willing to wait another year on the IU job.    

Right and that's the hard decision for IU administration: do you let May take another big time job when you know that he could be the coach of the future for IU

5 minutes ago, JF87 said:

I've always got the vibe from people that seem to know what's going on that if IU is serious about Dusty, it probably doesn't matter where he's coaching or how long he's been there. He'll pack up and head to Monroe County.

8 minutes ago, JF87 said:

You don't think Dusty would leave those schools to come back here, if this is his dream job.

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

I've always got the vibe from people that seem to know what's going on that if IU is serious about Dusty, it probably doesn't matter where he's coaching or how long he's been there. He'll pack up and head to Monroe County.

I mean for crying out loud, the guy apparently chooses to vacation in Terre freakin Haute!

If that doesn't say "I wish I was anywhere in Indiana" I don't know what does.

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I mean for crying out loud, the guy apparently chooses to vacation in Terre freakin Haute!

Vacation was a strong word, should have said hang out.

19 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Larranaga is so checked out of this years team he didn’t even participate in the huddle a couple times last night when they were getting board raced.    Unless he was sick it was an odd look 

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Easy on the Haute slander, now. Don't make me sick @pappy1865 on you.

I’m not trying to disparage Dusty. The reality is, though, his *BEST* team in the four years before he nabbed this current group of players was 129th in KenPom. That’s just flat out not very good, winning record or not. And again - that was the best team he had. 

Schertz was able to muster a top 100 team at Indiana State in just year 2 at Indiana State. And this year they’re playing like a sweet 16 team with far less talent than FAU. 

Dusty seems to be a capable coach. But I’m not convinced he’s special. People are falling  for him here more than they should because he has a tie to IU and happened to go on a deep run last season. Those aren’t sufficient bases to favor him over a guy who’s been elite for like 15 straight seasons as a head coach and who plays mathematically perfect modern basketball. 

I feel pretty confident IU would ultimately regret hiring Dusty over Schertz. 

Edited by Truthhurts