Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

COMPLAIN HERE!

13 minutes ago, JF87 said:

Initially former players appeared to be happy.  Then Mike Roberts wasn't retained as a coach.  Then a year later Dane Fife was shown the door.  So much for healing and bringing the "family" together.  I do think the Jordan and Calbert additions have been positive.  If bringing the family together was the goal of hiring Woodson, the treatment of Roberts and Fife ended that honeymoon with many fans and players fairly quickly.  

Just so we have all the facts, both of those guys we let go are no longer in CBB. Mike was let go by Cincy after leaving IU. 

5 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Just so we have all the facts, both of those guys we let go are no longer in CBB. Mike was let go by Cincy after leaving IU. 

Isn't Roberts at NC State now? I know he was hired there in '23. I thought they hired him away from Cincy.

2 minutes ago, go iu bb said:

Isn't Roberts at NC State now? I know he was hired there in '23. I thought they hired him away from Cincy.

He's not listed on their staff or his Twitter page, no school is listed. Plus he has criticized officials on Twitter. Don't think he would do that if he was on a staff. 

29 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I haven't been in this thread much, but I have formulated my primary complaint associated with IU basketball. It's when fans:

1. Posit a speculative narrative. 
  2. Repeat the speculation frequently, until it becomes the established theme.
  3. Complain about it at various challenging points during a season, but not during an extended winning streak.

For #3 at any point in the last 3 years have you ever said “wow we’re building something special here”? 

I don’t hate the Woodson hire.

I am simply expressing frustrations from of a place a FEAR that Isiah who is widely regarded as one of, if not the, worst nba exec in the last 20 years is running our program from behind close doors.

Therefore i’m looking at anything that would disrupt the narrative. I want to be proven wrong.

Thats why I’m asking for any sliver of hope that we interviewed other candidates and had a strategy vs blindly just hiring someone’s buddy

Woodson’s media availability today is not my favorite. Using excuses particularly with injuries to justify this season and saying people just want him to win in spite of them.

I think when it gets to the point of blaming injuries, it’s a bit of a collapse. I hate seeing. Normally he will say he’s just gotta do this or do that. That’s the better way of handling things.

I’m certain the media’s distaste for IU and the fans frustrations make it feel like “Indiana vs Everbody” (as Killer Mopp would day).

I think getting the media semi on our side would go a long way and I’m not even sure where to begin on that one.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

If you think those 2 were the only ones happy with the hire then im not sure what more else there is to say.    There is always going to be fans not happy no matter who is hired but when he was hired I’m guessing most of it was positive.   He still got a huge ovation at HH this year.   Mad fans on free message boards isn’t the majority I hate to break it to you.   As I’ve said I wasn’t a fan of the hire but a knew a ton of people who were just because it was one of IUs own 
All depends on your expectations. I know of people who wanted archie back for year five. Many fans now are content with an ncaa berth every few years so yes to them Woodson was and is great.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Hornsby said:

All depends on your expectations. I know of people who wanted archie back for year five. Many fans now are content with an ncaa berth every few years so yes to them Woodson was and is great.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

By "every few years" under Woody you mean, "two years and two appearances."

By "every few years" under Woody you mean, "two years and two appearances."

To be fair, both seasons underperformed expectations and then the third season “jump”, instead, we are currently at our lowest metrics in a LONG time. We were just home underdogs to a very average Iowa team.

I mean, I get he deserves another year based on results thus far but we aren’t even close to doing the things the administration is telling the fans they want to be doing.

We’ll just have to see how this season ends and see what lessons our older coach has learned. See if he has what it takes to build a top B1G program.

And none of this even involves the analytics and playing styles that are in contrast with the most likely ways to win in todays game. This is officially his second chance to rectify this issue.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

58 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Wasn't Roberts on NC State staff after leaving Cincy? Is he not with them anymore?

EDIT: Googled it and found this article, but when looking at NC State Coaching staff on their website, he's not listed. 

https://hoosierillustrated.com/former-indiana-basketball-assistant-mike-roberts-joining-nc-state-staff/

Just now, monskisprodigy said:

Wasn't Roberts on NC State staff after leaving Cincy? Is he not with them anymore?

I just checked their staff, not on there. His bio on Twitter doesn't have a school on it. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

I just checked their staff, not on there. His bio on Twitter doesn't have a school on it. 

I looked as well and he's not listed. I thought I remembered him moving there after Cincy, and found the article below confirming he was at least hired. Not sure what happened.

https://hoosierillustrated.com/former-indiana-basketball-assistant-mike-roberts-joining-nc-state-staff/

26 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Woodson’s media availability today is not my favorite. Using excuses particularly with injuries to justify this season and saying people just want him to win in spite of them.

I think when it gets to the point of blaming injuries, it’s a bit of a collapse. I hate seeing. Normally he will say he’s just gotta do this or do that. That’s the better way of handling things.

I’m certain the media’s distaste for IU and the fans frustrations make it feel like “Indiana vs Everbody” (as Killer Mopp would day).

I think getting the media semi on our side would go a long way and I’m not even sure where to begin on that one.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Winning would help a little. But even in there 5 year stretch under Crean where we went to the tourney 4 of 5 years, won the B1G twice, got a 4 seed, 1 seed, 10 seed and 5 seed, 3 S16s... The media still didn't like us. It was all about z Michigan State and Michigan.

Winning would help a little. But even in there 5 year stretch under Crean where we went to the tourney 4 of 5 years, won the B1G twice, got a 4 seed, 1 seed, 10 seed and 5 seed, 3 S16s... The media still didn't like us. It was all about z Michigan State and Michigan.

That’s what I mean. It’s not really about winning. It’s about relationships I guess. And backscratching. And whatever else. Can’t really figure it out, but the talking heads pretty much hate us. Maybe it’s the “blue blood” tag but Duke, UNC, hell, even Kansas doesn’t get the hate. Idk.

But winning always helps.

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

That’s what I mean. It’s not really about winning. It’s about relationships I guess. And backscratching. And whatever else. Can’t really figure it out, but the talking heads pretty much hate us. Maybe it’s the “blue blood” tag but Duke, UNC, hell, even Kansas doesn’t get the hate. Idk.

But winning always helps.

Well as of now it helps Duke, UNC and Kansas that they still have the ESPN connections. But you would think they would try to prop up arguably the largest fan base in the nation.

34 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Same people the call out positive people for being sunshine pumpers are the biggest sunshine pumpers when it comes to where they think this program is actually at in the landscape of college basketball.     Really interesting stuff 

In fairness, currently year three is possible but not likely for the tourney. Two out of three ain't bad ... but it ain't special either. 

For me? Year 1: play-in and done; year 2: 4 seed and round of 32, is perfectly good progression.

If we get in as a ten seed this year and play to the round of 16 or better? That's more progress, especially if we have continuity going into year four. But if we flail and fail down the stretch this year and then recruiting tanks? Well the writing begins to be on the wall.

There's a lot of this season left for that to play out, so who the hell knows! There's certainly potential for this season to have either outcome.