Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Home Jersey

IUBB vs Auburn (Atlanta, GA) | 12/9/2023 @ 2:00pm on ESPN2

3 hours ago, str8baller said:

I’m not sure zones are all that simple, or at least they bring a new set of problems for everyone they solve. It was a nice wrinkle versus Lville, but they’re not very good.  

I like zone as but a wrinkle, but I'd prefer we get man sorted out. Honestly our D was pretty good Woodson's first year but has gotten progressively gotten worse each year since.

13 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Succession plan could be the most challenging part. Would Woody want to have one of his assistants take over?  Would we go IU guy again?  Could we go outside the program for a top coach and keep the history connected?  

Would be nice if Woody can find a way to deliver a really big year soon 

I don’t think he’s established enough to demand an assistant take over, but it’d be nice if he were involved in the process.  

In any event, I’m not necessarily ready to move on from Woody or kick him out the door. I like a lot about him as our coach. It’s just more of the age aspect combined with there’s clearly an adjustment period for him with the college game, that I hope IU has a long term plan sketched out. 

Hopefully we make some progress and make the tourney this year. That’d be a nice 3 year stretch given what he walked into. 

16 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

We've had plenty of big time coaches we could've landed that would've made us elite again over the years... Pitino, Matta, Beilein, Pearl, Drew, etc.  Our administration just doesn't care.  I'm convinced they all have the Michael McRobbie attitude that athletics are a nuisance.

18 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

We've had plenty of big time coaches we could've landed that would've made us elite again over the years... Pitino, Matta, Beilein, Pearl, Drew, etc.  Our administration just doesn't care.  I'm convinced they all have the Michael McRobbie attitude that athletics are a nuisance.

Kind of overlooking the morality/ethics issues there

20 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Pearl did get Auburn on probation for four years so doubt he would have been considered after Sampson was here.  Probably would have been persona au gratin.   :)

He was high up on my wishlist several times but yeah, IU wasn't going to consider him at the time.  

35 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not reading 39 pages of this but I'm sure everything has been covered. I do see we are at the point where we wish Bruce Pearl was our coach. Wonder how our fanbase would have handled losing to Appalachian State just last week? 

Anyway just like everyone else we don't need to sub 5 guys at a time. We do need to play subs but interchange them with some starters.

Also sitting the rest of the half with 2 fouls needs to be on a person-by-person basis. Trey only averages 1.8 fouls a game, so leave him in.

Also on Trey I think he has played his worst ball of his whole career this year. Did he get a new g/f? Something has to have changed for him. 

Anyway, we get Kansas at home Saturday. Let's redeem this loss or at least keep it to single digits

Hoping we come out ready to play and sustain that energy for 40.

Watching Dickinson drop 30 on us in AH is not on my Saturday plans haha. 

It's hard not to be a little discouraged about the current state of IUBB. Not so bad that I want Bruce Pearl though, I just want Woodson to win :) 

It could be worse, we could be Iowa or Mich State. Sheesh. 

If XJ was healthy and IU had pulled in a good (not even great) SG from the portal last summer I believe they'd be a fringe top 25 team. The guard quality & depth is a couple of big steps below top teams. 

48 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I'm not reading 39 pages of this but I'm sure everything has been covered. I do see we are at the point where we wish Bruce Pearl was our coach. Wonder how our fanbase would have handled losing to Appalachian State just last week? 

Would have started the "Fire Bruce Pearl" thread.  :)  

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

Anyway just like everyone else we don't need to sub 5 guys at a time. We do need to play subs but interchange them with some starters.

Also sitting the rest of the half with 2 fouls needs to be on a person-by-person basis. Trey only averages 1.8 fouls a game, so leave him in.

Also on Trey I think he has played his worst ball of his whole career this year. Did he get a new g/f? Something has to have changed for him. 

Anyway, we get Kansas at home Saturday. Let's redeem this loss or at least keep it to single digits

g/f(s) !!!     wink wink. :)

^^ Agree on the hockey substitutions (and hey, I played hockey), why that's still a thing, and against a good team like Auburn, is something I've been wondering about.

Also agree on the 2-foul thing, but that's not going to change (imo). Some coaches just believe in that religiously. That's too bad, it unnecessarily (imo) puts the team in position to fail in the 1st half when the depth isn't there -- and as should be clear by now to the coaching staff, the depth is not there at guard. 

And on Trey, I have to think he's going to break out of this slump or whatever it should be called. He's shown us for years the caliber player he is, and the decision making and assisting is still there, it's the shooting that has gone off the cliff. I do think part of it is adjusting to a more prominent or expected shooting role, while also adjusting to a new starting group / on floor chemistry. It's still early on - he can turn it around -- and that may be the key that either helps or takes away from our getting to the tourney.

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

To quote Verna from Hoosiers, “this goes a little deeper than 1 game”. 

Bruce is a guy that gets into the tournament just about every year. Not a lot of deep runs but he certainty has had some. 

All 6 years at TN they made it in and over that time go to 2 sweet sixteens and an elite 8.  At Auburn he took a few years to get going but have made the tournament 5 of the last 6 years and had a Final Four in 2018/19.  

So, if woody can build a track record like that, or hopefully better, a loss to an App St will be more easily overlooked   

IMG_5108.png

IMG_5107.png