Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DoctorP

Mgbako Arrested, Paying Small Fine for Misdemeanor

19 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This Taco Bell is easily the worst in the state. Sometimes they close in the middle of the day so workers can all go smoke together. One day they told me they were out of meat and cheese but could give me a hard shell tortilla with lettuce in it. The workers don't care because the building is going to be torn down soon for a car wash to be built.

I think some things to clear up are MM left the drive-thru when the police asked him to. He parked where the police asked him to while they talked to the Taco Bell workers. He then left but came back parking in a different area up by Jiffy Treat. That is when the cops went to arrest him. He asked the cops if he would wait in his car until his parent or another adult got there. They said no and broke his window out. 

I think we will see all charges dropped, he will maybe sit half if that of one of the exhibition games. Monroe County Sheriffs are not known to be very good at their jobs in this town. I've had first-hand experience with that. Now let's get back to negotiating Tom Allen's buyout. 

I say, Coach Woodson makes him work off hours in the drive-thru at said Taco Bell!.... lol

(I know it's Good Burger, but seems fitting.....)

All That Nicksplat GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

16 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

First of all,  let me preface my comments that I respect law enforcement and the risks they take every day they're on duty.

MM moved his car off the TB lot as he was directed.  Per the police report, he didn't move it immediately but he did move it "to a nearby lot".  So why didn't the incident end at that point?   Did the officers take it that he was mocking them and decide to make it an issue?  Did the officers know he was an IU bball player and decide to flex their muscle?   We know these types of things can happen.  Not defending MM because he should not have acted  in a way that caused the TB staff to call the police in the first place but is the escalation of the incident solely on MM's shoulders?  

In part I agree with you. But it sounds like they had already made the decision to arrest when he left. Once you're trespassed from a place you can't hang out for an extra 15 minutes. 

41 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

This Taco Bell is easily the worst in the state. Sometimes they close in the middle of the day so workers can all go smoke together. One day they told me they were out of meat and cheese but could give me a hard shell tortilla with lettuce in it. The workers don't care because the building is going to be torn down soon for a car wash to be built.

I think some things to clear up are MM left the drive-thru when the police asked him to. He parked where the police asked him to while they talked to the Taco Bell workers. He then left but came back parking in a different area up by Jiffy Treat. That is when the cops went to arrest him. He asked the cops if he would wait in his car until his parent or another adult got there. They said no and broke his window out. 

I think we will see all charges dropped, he will maybe sit half if that of one of the exhibition games. Monroe County Sheriffs are not known to be very good at their jobs in this town. I've had first-hand experience with that. Now let's get back to negotiating Tom Allen's buyout. 

Thanks for sharing…and as you’ve alluded to, let’s move on. 

9 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I independently also heard that he wanted the police to wait until his parents arrived when they asked him to get out of the car. I can understand why they didn’t, but it’s harder to understand why they broke the window out.

Not sure if Bloomington PD wear body cams, but if they do that’d really shed light on this.

IMO body cams are the best friend of professional law enforcement and the enemy of lesser law enforcement.

If this is the case, then shame on the police for escalating that which didn't need to be escalated.  

11 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

I independently also heard that he wanted the police to wait until his parents arrived when they asked him to get out of the car. I can understand why they didn’t, but it’s harder to understand why they broke the window out.

Not sure if Bloomington PD wear body cams, but if they do that’d really shed light on this.

IMO body cams are the best friend of professional law enforcement and the enemy of lesser law enforcement.

His parents are living in Btown?

Not giving you crap but that rendition of the story makes MM seem like Opie Taylor. My guess is the truth lies somewhere in the middle as it typically does. Also 18 year olds are adults and police do not have to allow a parent to be present.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

22 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Taco Bell! This will be a learning experience for Mack and he most likely will be better for it. 

I, for one love Taco Bell, especially late. This could have all been avoided if he would have just gone to my #1 late, late night food venue! White Castle..... AHHHHHH, Yessss! 

Fast Food Day Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle GIF - Fast Food Day  Harold And Kumar Go To White Castle - Discover & Share GIFs

No they don't have to but it's a common courtesy to wait. I guarantee if Bob Knight was still the coach the officer wouldn't have a job by the end of the day. I'm one who doesn't believe everything the police say, especially in this town dealing with a large black man. 
All depends how civil things had been to the point of the request. In my experience you get the respect you give in interactions with police. I also am a little biased as I have officers in my family who have shared their perspectives with me and has affected my outlook on things.

5 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

All depends how civil things had been to the point of the request. In my experience you get the respect you give in interactions with police. I also am a little biased as I have officers in my family who have shared their perspectives with me and has affected my outlook on things.

That's not biased; that's just plain old true. And that works for any profession. The converse is also true; police usually get the respect they give.

7 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

Man, the more I read the comments here the more I wonder why folks are putting poop in their mouths from this Taco Bell?  LOL!

to be clear... this is the TB by the mall. Not the one downtown. 

I assume the one by the mall sucks too. I know for a fact the one downtown is terrible. 

1 hour ago, Chris007 said:

So while we're going to be moving on from this topic, it's not going away at the moment and valuing your inside view here as I do, was not happy with the Herald Times' reporting or arrest report / "jail records" it appears to be based on -- which is written by Osterman and Nelson at the Star in Indy -- am wondering if you can confirm if the following statements are in fact, based on the info you've received from inside the program, false:

- the officers, reported as Bloomington police (not Monroe County sheriff deputies) "told him he needed to leave the property" and he refused, then left but came back and parked "in a space at the restaurant."

- the officers continued to tell Mgbacko to leave for the next 15 minutes, resulting in his trespassing charge.

- that was when they approached his vehicle and told him to get out, he refused, so they broke his window and forcibly removed him and arrested him -- nothing about his asking for a parent or adult to be present.

https://www.heraldtimesonline.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2023/10/22/indiana-hoosiers-basketball-freshman-mackenzie-mgbako-arrested-iu-bloomington-police/71280781007/

The story says the typical IU athletics is aware of the situation and is continuing to gather facts. If the above are false, someone in the program should tell the paper to fix their facts once that fact gathering has been done.

43 minutes ago, HoosierHoopster said:

So while we're going to be moving on from this topic, it's not going away at the moment and valuing your inside view here as I do, was not happy with the Herald Times' reporting or arrest report / "jail records" it appears to be based on -- which is written by Osterman and Nelson at the Star in Indy -- am wondering if you can confirm if the following statements are in fact, based on the info you've received from inside the program, false:

- the officers, reported as Bloomington police (not Monroe County sheriff deputies) "told him he needed to leave the property" and he refused, then left but came back and parked "in a space at the restaurant."

- the officers continued to tell Mgbacko to leave for the next 15 minutes, resulting in his trespassing charge.

- that was when they approached his vehicle and told him to get out, he refused, so they broke his window and forcibly removed him and arrested him -- nothing about his asking for a parent or adult to be present.

https://www.heraldtimesonline.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2023/10/22/indiana-hoosiers-basketball-freshman-mackenzie-mgbako-arrested-iu-bloomington-police/71280781007/

The story says the typical IU athletics is aware of the situation and is continuing to gather facts. If the above are false, someone in the program should tell the paper to fix their facts once that fact gathering has been done.

I was told it was MCSD, not BPD because BPD was helping IUPD with looking for an armed robbery suspect loose on campus. 

My understanding was he did finally leave but moved to another spot in a lot close by because he was waiting for his dad to get there. 

Hopefully, we will see the camera footage and hear from someone from the basketball team soon. 

Just now, Chris007 said:

I was told it was MCSD, not BPD because BPD was helping IUPD with looking for an armed robbery suspect loose on campus. 

My understanding was he did finally leave but moved to another spot in a lot close by because he was waiting for his dad to get there. 

Hopefully, we will see the camera footage and hear from someone from the basketball team soon. 

It all depends on what the camera footage shows. If it's not the official story, they're known to malfunction :D

1 hour ago, HoosierHoopster said:

I've been questioning some aspects, but let me state this in strong favor of the officers:

If it's true that he wouldn't get out of the car because he wanted his dad to arrive, there would be no way for the officers to know if that was BS or not, and they shouldn't wait to find out. Can you imagine a standard where officers confronted with a suspect in a locked vehicle were required to wait because the suspect wanted to have his purported dad there? Yikes!

Now, the devil is in the details. How the officers and Mgbako interacted and what warnings they gave before breaking the window is relevant. 

So, as I said, body cameras are the best way to know what happened.