Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Barrel Rick

(2025) SG - Braylon Mullins

46 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Considering he’s been very public about his struggles with mental health, including missing time during the season at SHU, he definitely does not fall into the “thinks his **** doesn’t stink” category of a$$hole.

I have mental health issues myself, and the on court behavior and off court behavior are separate things.  He does fall into the 'thinks his **** doesn't stink' when he's on the court.  He may hate himself off the court, but no one is a bigger Hurley the coach than Hurley..

1 hour ago, RaceToTheTop said:

I have mental health issues myself, and the on court behavior and off court behavior are separate things.  He does fall into the 'thinks his **** doesn't stink' when he's on the court.  He may hate himself off the court, but no one is a bigger Hurley the coach than Hurley..

I wish Mike Woodson showed one tenth of the vigor Hurley does on the court. But this conversation is starting to blur… his on court antics are another story. You generally won’t find me defending those, other than to say I think it’s odd people fixate on it so much. Him talking crap to fans in the stands is too much. I’m not inside the guys head (clearly) but he’s never really had a scandal. Guys clean as a whistle in terms of being a decent human being. 

It sucks from the standpoint of the homegrown IU fan getting poached. But I agree this is nowhere near a program breaker. I'm really looking forward to our back court additions that don't have a freshman learning curve and come with 3 years eligibility. 

I hope the Indiana boy represents basketball country well. But UConn can kick rocks, Mullins or no Mullins. Really big rocks. While barefoot.

Yeah this certainly seems like the tipping point year for Woodson. As some have reported he might want to enjoy more retirement activities than other coaches of the same age. But is he too stubborn to step down if this is a medium-successful season? 
As long as boosters hand him a six million dollar check again next year I bet he stays. And there is way too much talent for have to have a bad enough season to get fired. You'd have to be an awful coach to miss the tourney with this group.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, HinnyHoosier said:

It sucks from the standpoint of the homegrown IU fan getting poached

Not sure how big of IU fans the family was. I don’t  think this was a Sisley situation where the whole family was IU fans.   Pretty sure Braylon was named after a Michigan football player and his dad is a huge Michigan football fan 

2 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Not sure how big of IU fans the family was. I don’t  think this was a Sisley situation where the whole family was IU fans.   Pretty sure Braylon was named after a Michigan football player and his dad is a huge Michigan football fan 

Mullins was named after Braylon Edwards? Jesus. UConn can have him lol. 

35 minutes ago, Hornsby said:

As long as boosters hand him a six million dollar check again next year I bet he stays. And there is way too much talent for have to have a bad enough season to get fired. You'd have to be an awful coach to miss the tourney with this group.

Sent from my SM-A146U using Tapatalk

Making the tournament will be all it takes for him to last through the year, so we’re stuck on the Mike Woodson carousel until Mike Woodson decides to get off it. I don’t blame Mullins or any other player for choosing not to jump on board. Why come play for Grandpa Mike and his 1950s style offense when there are plenty of 21st century programs out there?

5 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

Dad might want to prepare for a big dose of irony before IU football hands Michigan a loss within weeks of Braylon turning down Indiana lol.

14 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

I wish Mike Woodson showed one tenth of the vigor Hurley does on the court. But this conversation is starting to blur… his on court antics are another story. You generally won’t find me defending those, other than to say I think it’s odd people fixate on it so much. Him talking crap to fans in the stands is too much. I’m not inside the guys head (clearly) but he’s never really had a scandal. Guys clean as a whistle in terms of being a decent human being. 

I think that’s where I’m coming from….the responses to the fans during games…and some of his interviews he seems pretty arrogant….you can say he’s earned it with back to back championships, but you can still be humble. I just don’t see that trait with him at all

11 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

This would explain/confirm some things for me. 

14 minutes ago, Gnet550 said:

I think that’s where I’m coming from….the responses to the fans during games…and some of his interviews he seems pretty arrogant….you can say he’s earned it with back to back championships, but you can still be humble. I just don’t see that trait with him at all

Totally get why that’s off putting for people. Like I said, getting into it with fans is entirely too much. At the same time, I think he recognizes that and a lot of it is bravado / part of the mental games he does to get the most out of his team. I think it’s easy to dislike him because the media coverage tends to put him on a pedestal too and he plays into that. If people had a son being recruited and welcomed him into your home for a visit, I think people would generally have a very different idea of who Danny Hurley is… that’s not to say he can’t still be an a$$hole at times. He can be a really big one. IMO it just doesn’t define him as a person. 

3 hours ago, Home Jersey said:

Totally get why that’s off putting for people. Like I said, getting into it with fans is entirely too much. At the same time, I think he recognizes that and a lot of it is bravado / part of the mental games he does to get the most out of his team. I think it’s easy to dislike him because the media coverage tends to put him on a pedestal too and he plays into that. If people had a son being recruited and welcomed him into your home for a visit, I think people would generally have a very different idea of who Danny Hurley is… that’s not to say he can’t still be an a$$hole at times. He can be a really big one. IMO it just doesn’t define him as a person. 

Just like I understand why opposing fans hated Knight, I understand why opposing fans hate Hurley.

in terms of how people treat you when they want something from you….anybody can be welcoming in those circumstances.  The true measure is how they treat people who aren’t going to affect them.  I’m not going to give kudos for a coach being accommodating to parents of recruits.  That’s a pretty low bar.

28 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Just like I understand why opposing fans hated Knight, I understand why opposing fans hate Hurley.

in terms of how people treat you when they want something from you….anybody can be welcoming in those circumstances.  The true measure is how they treat people who aren’t going to affect them.  I’m not going to give kudos for a coach being accommodating to parents of recruits.  That’s a pretty low bar.

Only reason I bring up the parents of recruits is because that was the premise of the original post I replied to - that they’re not sure if they’d let their son play for him despite their success because of who he is as a man. Not saying he’s a great guy because he knows how to wine and dine parents/close on recruits. I’m saying it because I happen to think he’s a decent man… that’s not to say I don’t understand why opposing fans hate him. I do.

To me, just sort of silly to blur the lines between hating him as a competitor and believing that makes him a POS as a person. He and his father basically single handedly kept small inner city Catholic schools afloat with their basketball success, fundraising efforts and charity. When he first took the Wagner job, I went to a game. He spent time talking to fans afterward and I showed him an old photo of my father and I at a St Anthony’s game. He asked my name and told me to come to another game and bring my father. I did. He remembered my name and was a good sport talking for a few mins with my father about the game of basketball.  This is getting off topic and I doubt anyone cares about why I’m a Hurley fan, but that’s basically why I felt compelled to respond. People can hate him all they want if that’s what they’re inclined to do.

UConn has two brilliant assistant coaches. Which by the way am I the only one that didn't know Luke Murray's dad is Bill Murray? For me that's enough. I wish I could go to UConn now. 

15 minutes ago, BA47591 said:

UConn has two brilliant assistant coaches. Which by the way am I the only one that didn't know Luke Murray's dad is Bill Murray? For me that's enough. I wish I could go to UConn now. 

a man wearing a hat is making a funny face and smiling .

22 hours ago, BA47591 said:

That my friend is the million dollar question.  What if:

• a class of Mullins and Sisley • win at Wisconsin • split w/Purdue • win the BTT• finish in the top 15 • 3 seed and lose in the second weekend ? 

That would give Woody a pretty good 4 year story. He could retire having stamped his name on a couple of things and give us the perfect window to hire someone from a short list. 

I'll believe it when I see it........