Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

2024 (F) Kanon Catchings and Whatever

7 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I believe the main rumor is that he never wanted to play for Purdue in the first place and that his Parents put all the pressure to pick Purdue. Since his mom went there

I thought she went to purdue also but was told it was Illinois and I goggled it appears it is Illinois 

18 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I believe the main rumor is that he never wanted to play for Purdue in the first place and that his Parents put all the pressure to pick Purdue. Since his mom went there

16 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

That's what has been going around for quite awhile.  Usually doesn't end well when parents push a kid into signing somewhere he doesn't want to go.

Happens way too much with non-athletes too, and it never goes well even if parents are just pushing an academic major, let alone a particular school, over the student’s wishes.

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

Happens way too much with non-athletes too, and it never goes well even if parents are just pushing an academic major, let alone a particular school, over the student’s wishes.

As a faculty member at IU, I see this all the time with students. I invite all my students, 600+ a semester, to my office hours and tell them they can come talk about anything. I average around 8 students per office hours. Distressed students come often saying that they don’t want to study computer science or business or whatever but feel like they have no choice. There’s also a lot of basketball and music chats too :)

33 minutes ago, Pudman said:

As a faculty member at IU, I see this all the time with students. I invite all my students, 600+ a semester, to my office hours and tell them they can come talk about anything. I average around 8 students per office hours. Distressed students come often saying that they don’t want to study computer science or business or whatever but feel like they have no choice. There’s also a lot of basketball and music chats too :)

I never went to my professor's office hours for my undergrad and needless to say graduated with a meh gpa.  That was also largely paid for by my parents but when I went back to school, on my dime, I visited professors regularly.  Heck I even found out where one lived and took my kids trick or treating in his neighborhood so I could just happen to run into him lol.  Sure call me a stalker lol, i will go with creative.

Office hours are such an unutilized opportunity to get help, get to know your profs and vice versa and really help you understand things that were missed while in class.  

2 hours ago, lillurk said:

The commitment to Purdue never really made much sense for him from a basketball fit standpoint to begin with. I think he probably realized that early on but couldn't overcome the family pressure. 

I can't imagine why any skilled, athletic forward wouldn't take one look at what Painter did to Kauffman-Renn and run far, far away from that program. 

48 minutes ago, Pudman said:

This 100%. I offer all of my student extra credit if they stop by, in part to normalize and encourage stopping by office hours. I had over 100 come by in the first three weeks this semester, and then lots and lots of repeats. It beats the hell out of me, and my wife says I should reconsider the extra credit, but honestly it’s worth the exhaustion.

Great to see and hear. What you do is well intentioned, valuable, and certainly appreciated by the students -- and their parents. I remember visiting office hours a few times while at IU (late 80's, it's been a while lol) and encouraged my kids to do so at their schools. The extra credit you offer is a huge benefit, and worth it not just for the individual credit to the students but for the motivation it creates to better understand the subject and learn. Good for you!

8 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Gotta be NIL related with that grouping?  

Florida State yes, but BYU?  They don't strike me as big NIL.

That said, he could be an immediate starter at either place.  Florida State did not do well in the portal ins and outs and BYU lost Jaxson Robinson so the 3 spot is up for grabs.  

5 hours ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Florida State yes, but BYU?  They don't strike me as big NIL.

That said, he could be an immediate starter at either place.  Florida State did not do well in the portal ins and outs and BYU lost Jaxson Robinson so the 3 spot is up for grabs.  

BYU has more money than expected, also one of his OTE coaches is now there. They paid 1M+ for Egor.