Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

2024 (F) Kanon Catchings and Whatever

3 hours ago, AH1971 said:

He shot well with his feet set and under him with nobody guarding him. You could attribute 80-90% of that due to the attention Edey drew. It’s very clear that in games where teams elected not to double Edey and ran him off the 3 point he struggled immensely. I don’t see anyone on next years Purdue team who comes close to drawing anywhere near the attention that Edey did.

And don’t get me started on the defensive end. If he’s a net positive on both ends of the floor next year I’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Same could be said for CWat and Hulls with Zeller down low. Hornsby and Coverdale with Jeffries down low. Kopp and Galloway's only good season shooting with TJD down low. That isn't a knock a player like you think it is. That's a player taking advantage of what's given to him. He shot 44% from 3 on the year. That's his specialty.

7 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Same could be said for CWat and Hulls with Zeller down low. Hornsby and Coverdale with Jeffries down low. Kopp and Galloway's only good season shooting with TJD down low. That isn't a knock a player like you think it is. That's a player taking advantage of what's given to him. He shot 44% from 3 on the year. That's his specialty.

For Hornsby, Hulls, Gallo, and Kopp? Sure. Though much more so with TJD than Jeffries or Zeller. Jeffries and Zeller didn’t draw anywhere near as many double teams as TJD (and none of them as much as Edey).

Another problem for Loyer; some players have skill sets that enable them to score without a post that draws doubles. Loyer isn't  one of them and Edey is gone.

And Loyer is a disaster defensively. When Gallo forgets how to shoot he gets to the rim, rebounds his position, and always defends with passion. Loyer doesn’t do any of those things.

7 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

It comes down to building a great roster. 

To accomplish that ultimate goal, the ingredients are talent, experience, continuity, depth, and covering a variety of skill sets.

NIL budget helps with that ultimate goal, but it's not an entire means to the end.

I agree, but brining in 5-6 man classes is also not the way anymore. The chances of those players sticking around for 3-4 years is not very realistic. 

1 minute ago, OGIUAndy said:

I agree, but brining in 5-6 man classes is also not the way anymore. The chances of those players sticking around for 3-4 years is not very realistic. 

Rice and Carlyle both have three years left. I LOVE transfers that are proven yet have three years left.

32 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

But what else does Loyer bring to the floor if you’re running him off the 3 point line? He was borderline unplayable in many games for long stretches last year if he wasn’t shooting at a high clip. He can’t handle the ball, he doesn’t break down opposing defenders, and again he is AWFUL defensively. If Gicarri Harris proves to be a serviceable offensive player next year, he’ll eat into Loyer’s minutes.

10 minutes ago, AH1971 said:

But what else does Loyer bring to the floor if you’re running him off the 3 point line? He was borderline unplayable in many games for long stretches last year if he wasn’t shooting at a high clip. He can’t handle the ball, he doesn’t break down opposing defenders, and again he is AWFUL defensively. If Gicarri Harris proves to be a serviceable offensive player next year, he’ll eat into Loyer’s minutes.

Well that's called gravity on a court because you can't leave him open.

39 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

For Hornsby, Hulls, Gallo, and Kopp? Sure. Though much more so with TJD than Jeffries or Zeller. Jeffries and Zeller didn’t draw anywhere near as many double teams as TJD (and none of them as much as Edey).

Another problem for Loyer; some players have skill sets that enable them to score without a post that draws doubles. Loyer isn't  one of them and Edey is gone.

And Loyer is a disaster defensively. When Gallo forgets how to shoot he gets to the rim, rebounds his position, and always defends with passion. Loyer doesn’t do any of those things.

This is the same crap that was said last summer. "Purdue won't be as good. Loyer isn't good enough. Smith isn't good enough blah blah blah." They won the Big Ten and went to the national championship.

46 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

This is the same crap that was said last summer. "Purdue won't be as good. Loyer isn't good enough. Smith isn't good enough blah blah blah." They won the Big Ten and went to the national championship.

With Edey. Without Edey they were trash.

5 hours ago, Scotty R said:

I would love to have their regular seasons. I still rather build a team like Painter than having to rely on the portal very year. Maybe it is because I am old school or I have seen 3 championships. I just would like to have great regular seasons and enjoy 4 months of great basketball over worrying about the last 3 weeks of the year.

Man, I'm right there with you. But, I also realize that things have changed and they are never going back. I loved watching kids grow within the program over a number of years. Now, we are NBA lite. We can either embrace it or move on to something else.

Painter is not an idiot. I'm sure he sees the same things with Loyer that we do. And I'm sure he is planning for a way to compensate. I have no idea how good Purdue will be next year, but I'm pretty sure they will be difficult to deal with.

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

What are you talking about? They were a 1 seed who literally returned their entire team including the reigning NPOY. They were a preseason top 5 team. Who didn’t think Purdue was going to be good coming into this season? 

1 hour ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Well that's called gravity on a court because you can't leave him open.

You’re making my point. You don’t need to leave him open if you aren’t selling out to stop Edey. There was one team in college basketball capable of playing Edey straight up last year and Loyer had one of the most laughable games because of it. He was a literal non-factor in the national title game because UConn simply ran him off the 3point line because they didn’t double Edey. 

4 hours ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

You’re conflating “was Purdue good enough” (yes), and “was Loyer helpful with Edey on the court” (yes, but got subbed out on defense) with “is Loyer good” (not so much).

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

You’re conflating “was Purdue good enough” (yes), and “was Loyer helpful with Edey on the court” (yes, but got subbed out on defense) with “is Loyer good” (not so much).

I'm pretty sure you said last summer that Loyer wouldn't even be able to shoot better than 40% from 3. Everyone on here kept being wrong about Purdue outside of just a few of us. Loyer was a big part of that and showed up in some big games. 27 against Arizona and Tennessee(14 against Tennessee the 2nd time). His top 8 scoring outputs were against those 2 and big Ten teams(Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan State and Wisconsin). Had a rough game against UConn, but everyone was blown out by UConn. Having zero there doesn't somehow mean he sucks. Hell Klay Thompson just did the same thing in an elimination game. He isn't going to be Purdues best player or #1 option, but he's probably Top 5 SG in the B1G. Which, may not say great things about the B1G but it isn't exactly a star stuffed league by any stretch and Shannon and Storr both are gone.

3 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Y'all wanna create a Fletcher Loyer thread? 

Maybe join a PU board? 

Holy crap -- I came here to see what the latest on Catchings was and all I'm seeing is about PU and Fletcher Loyer. 

Imagertrnrh

Catchings is going to whoever offers him the most PT. So probably BYU.

27 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I'm pretty sure you said last summer that Loyer wouldn't even be able to shoot better than 40% from 3. Everyone on here kept being wrong about Purdue outside of just a few of us. Loyer was a big part of that and showed up in some big games. 27 against Arizona and Tennessee(14 against Tennessee the 2nd time). His top 8 scoring outputs were against those 2 and big Ten teams(Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, Michigan State and Wisconsin). Had a rough game against UConn, but everyone was blown out by UConn. Having zero there doesn't somehow mean he sucks. Hell Klay Thompson just did the same thing in an elimination game. He isn't going to be Purdues best player or #1 option, but he's probably Top 5 SG in the B1G. Which, may not say great things about the B1G but it isn't exactly a star stuffed league by any stretch and Shannon and Storr both are gone.

No. I said Loyer had not shot close to 40% from 3 (32.1% < 40%). So last year he shot really well from 3, still shot under 40% from 2, and was pulled in end of game situations. Again, he is a very good catch and shoot guy, an excellent ft shooter, and I believe more than anyone he benefitted from Edey.

Defense? Last year Loyer's defensive rating wasn't just bad, it was worse than

• Trey Galloway; 
  • Xavier Johnson,
  • Gabe Cupps,
  • Anthony Leal, AND
  • CJ freakin Gunn

If he improves his handle, his defense, and his strength he'll still be useful. If he doesn't improve those aspects much? Harris and Colvin will take his minutes. Colvin is probably gonna get at least 20 mpg somewhere; last year when Colvin played it was largely in place of Loyer. So I think that if he doesn't gain 10 lbs and work hard on his handle he may not be the top sg on Purdue, never mind top 5 sg in the B1G. Painter did good - SG is Purdue's deepest position. Painter wasn't afraid to reduce Morton's minutes so Loyer will need to be better.

22 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

No. I said Loyer had not shot close to 40% from 3 (32.1% < 40%). So last year he shot really well from 3, still shot under 40% from 2, and was pulled in end of game situations. Again, he is a very good catch and shoot guy, an excellent ft shooter, and I believe more than anyone he benefitted from Edey.

Defense? Last year Loyer's defensive rating wasn't just bad, it was worse than

• Trey Galloway; 
  • Xavier Johnson,
  • Gabe Cupps,
  • Anthony Leal, AND
  • CJ freakin Gunn

If he improves his handle, his defense, and his strength he'll still be useful. If he doesn't improve those aspects much? Harris and Colvin will take his minutes. Colvin is probably gonna get at least 20 mpg somewhere; last year when Colvin played it was largely in place of Loyer. So I think that if he doesn't gain 10 lbs and work hard on his handle he may not be the top sg on Purdue, never mind top 5 sg in the B1G. Painter did good - SG is Purdue's deepest position. Painter wasn't afraid to reduce Morton's minutes so Loyer will need to be better.

Colvin might? But I doubt it. Loyer is actually a part of a scouting report. "Don't leave him open." And Loyer has gravity on the court himself, even without Edey. If those other guys can shoot 44% from 3, they could overtake him, but I don't see that happening.

On 6/16/2024 at 9:03 PM, RaceToTheTop said:

Just as a reminder, Wisconsin finished 5th in the Big Ten.  So let's say Purdue didn't have Edey and were a Wisconsin type of team last season.  Now, with Edey out of the equation, they are losing three players:  Lance Jones, Mason Gillis, and Ethan Morton.  If you are matching them up with Wisconsin, the best matches are Lance Jones = Max Klesmit, Mason Gillis = John Blackwell, and Ethan Morton = some back end rotation player.

So let's say that Wisconsin returned everyone from last year's roster but lost Klesmit, Blackwell, and a back end rotation guy.  Would anyone seriously consider that Wisconsin team a top 20 team?

I wouldn’t!