Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Game Thread: NCAA R32 IUBB vs Miami - 3/19 @ 8:40 on TNT

Its like trying to get advice on how to run an NBA team from SAS.

they hot take con artists, who only care about generating outrage and clicks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 offensive rebounds and 29 2nd chance points. There it is kids. That's the ball game. 29. 2nd. Chance. Points...... Lose by 16. There's your game. Time for pappy to read and not post until September/October. It's that time of year.

Go Cubs Go! If you're in the fantasy baseball league, I look forward to it ladies and gents!

Also, my Trees are in the CBI as the number 1 overall seed, so I've got some basketball left to cheer!

Sent from my SM-G986U using BtownBanners mobile app

24 minutes ago, pappy1865 said:

20 offensive rebounds and 29 2nd chance points. There it is kids. That's the ball game. 29. 2nd. Chance. Points...... Lose by 16. There's your game. Time for pappy to read and not post until September/October. It's that time of year.

Go Cubs Go! If you're in the fantasy baseball league, I look forward to it ladies and gents!

Also, my Trees are in the CBI as the number 1 overall seed, so I've got some basketball left to cheer!

Yep, 2nd chance points.  And it's been an issue the entire season and the staff completely failed to address it.  That has to change.

7 hours ago, Golfman25 said:

I’d keep trey in the lineup. He’s your bleed Indiana guy.  Going to be the guy who sets the culture, at least on the court.  Going to have a lot of new faces who will need to learn. 

Also he is going to conserve a lot more energy not having to guard the best player on the other person team. End of the season it looked like he was gassed after the @ Purdue game and just didn’t have it on offense outside of last night.

Yep, 2nd chance points.  And it's been an issue the entire season and the staff completely failed to address it.  That has to change.
I think it gets better next year but rim protection/shot blocking will go way down. TJD and Race tried blocking everything leaving the weak side exposed quite often.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

18 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

I think it gets better next year but rim protection/shot blocking will go way down. TJD and Race tried blocking everything leaving the weak side exposed quite often.

That accounts for some of it but not all of it. I'm still not sure how we would have multiple players around the ball only to give up an offensive rebound to a single opponent. Maybe it's the old cliche "if everyone is responsible nobody is?"

That accounts for some of it but not all of it. I'm still not sure how we would have multiple players around the ball only to give up an offensive rebound to a single opponent. Maybe it's the old cliche "if everyone is responsible nobody is?"

It doesn't you're right but it will have to get better, one would think, by default. That is unless we bring in a shot blocker. Lack of defensive rebounding and over helping off of man are my 2 biggest issues from this season.

13 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

It doesn't you're right but it will have to get better, one would think, by default. That is unless we bring in a shot blocker. Lack of defensive rebounding and over helping off of man are my 2 biggest issues from this season.

Outside of optional letters I would agree with this. I believe the over helping is partly personnel issues in the inability for certain defenders to keep their man in front of them and certain defenders inability to help and recover. The rebounding is mostly technique which is concerning.

18 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Outside of optional letters I would agree with this. I believe the over helping is partly personnel issues in the inability for certain defenders to keep their man in front of them and certain defenders inability to help and recover. The rebounding is mostly technique which is concerning.

I think that the rebounding issue is a combination of things. 1. TJD/Race/MR focus on blocking, 2. Overhelping usually leaves at least one opponent uncovered, 3. Opposing teams take a lot of shots outside of the post due to No. 1, leading to shots that bounce off of the rim away from the shot blockers/best rebounder, 4. Guards and wings more focused on getting back and trying to prevent the fast break. 5. Hustle or lack there of (watching the ball hit the floor, instead of going for it)

Depending on the roster make up next year, hopefully our rebounding trend improves. Have to have guards rebounding.

10 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

On the plus side, with X’s application under way, we have a (imo) likely returning veteran, talented, athletic  point.

If granted that application will be interesting to see what the NCAA decides. 

11 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

We need some dudes. It really was a pretty good year but we didn’t have the talent to win a championship, especially without X and with Bates as a 20minute per game guy. 

A championship quality lineup looks like the IU women’s team; you look at the starting lineup and think “wow, we’ve got a star at every stinking position, and our sixth player would be another team’s best player.”

We’re not there yet, but we’ve already got some good pieces for next year and our roster is nowhere near complete.

Always the voice of reason

8 hours ago, pappy1865 said:

with you on the Sycamores!

Way I look at it is this..two years ago when Woodson was hired he probably needed to keep the majority of the guys around to avoid a rebuild and to develop a culture. The arrow has gone up since he got here. IU was a bottom 4 Big Ten Team in 2021. Last year in 2022 they were about a mid level team. 9 of the 13 scholarship players were players he inherited. That talent ranged from your best player to bench warmers. This year the expectations were higher. Unfortunately the Xavier Johnson injury, in my opinion, kept this team from reaching it's potential. Still, they finished tied for 2nd in the Big Ten with a TOUGH conference schedule and were a top 15 team in the eyes of the Selection Committee. Miami was just the better team. They wanted it more. Since about mid-February this is who this team has been. Can't put back to back games together. 

What happens in the next month is going to be similar to what Woodson had to do in 2021. This time he needs to be more picky. I said last night I think IU has 4 guys on scholarship who are not contributers on a team that wants to win a National Championship (Bates, Geronimo, Duncomb, and Leal). Jury is still out on Banks/Gunn and I hope both are back next year. I'm sure the 4 players I mentioned are great kids. However, this team lacks the athletes to compete with the Miami's, Houston's, Alabama's, etc.. Keeping these guys around prevents Woodson from getting athletes I think he would be able to land. Woodson can point to the success of JHS and Trayce this year. I'm actually very excited to see where this program can go. This team HAS to get: 

1) A legit upper 30% three point shooter. Hopefully he is an athlete much like the guys we saw on Miami

2) A 6'10 guy that can play inside/out

3) I'd like for them to get a reserve guard that is a decent shooter as well as another big man that can come off the bench. A big is a must. I think Cupps could be the first guard off the bench. 

I think Xavier, Trey, and Malik are your building blocks. However, If X and Malik are the two best players I think IU is in trouble. Our portal guys have to be two of the best players on the team. X is coming off a serious injury and Malik, while I like him, I'm not sure he is ready to be the man. I see him as a 10 points 6 rebounds per game kind of player next year. Still solid but not All-Big Ten yet. 

13 hours ago, HoosierHoopster said:

On the plus side, with X’s application under way, we have a (imo) likely returning veteran, talented, athletic  point.

IMO, X when healthy was one of the two keys to the defense, he'll be even more important if IU is not able to find some significant rim protection in the portal. 

4 hours ago, reconmkd said:

4. Guards and wings more focused on getting back and trying to prevent the fast break.

Why would our guards and wings be more focused on getting back to prevent fast breaks when their offense is rebounding for second chance points?

Fundamentals of finding a man and blocking them out then going to get the basketball is what we lacked this season. I can see a game or two being statistically odd with bad bounces but you make your luck. We chose to go half-assed for rebounds and watched as a single player from the other team grabbed an offensive rebound amongst 3-4 Hoosiers too often this season.

It'll probably never happen but I want a faster team.  I want more possessions.  More 3 point shots, more crashing the glass.  And a team that absolutely locks down on D and takes pride in MantoMan D.  More transition play.  Less focus on the midrange stuff but use it as a weapon as needed but not a go to shot.  

5 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

It'll probably never happen but I want a faster team.  I want more possessions.  More 3 point shots, more crashing the glass.  And a team that absolutely locks down on D and takes pride in MantoMan D.  More transition play.  Less focus on the midrange stuff but use it as a weapon as needed but not a go to shot.  

I think the mid-range is OK and I agree with everything else you said.  I was listening to a college bball station in Sirus XM and they said that exact thing.  The B10 needs to totally get away from the Purdue style of play and get to a style of play you described.  They said that is the main reason why the B10 hasn’t had a National Title since 2001.  They also said Matt Painter is a relic or fossil with his coaching style and only focuses on winning the B10 and not the big picture, the NCAA tournament