Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ebridges24

Xavier and Race

12 minutes ago, Scotty R said:

I think Banks will be a lot higher in the rotation next year. I could see him if he improves a lot being the starting 4 with Reneau at the 5

Could definitely see us going with that lineup for long stretches too. I see him and Geronimo fighting for a lot of the same minutes. 

1 hour ago, TeeterInNJ said:

We are really thin in the front court at the moment. Woodson will need to land some major talent in the portal for this roster to be top 5 in the B10, but I don't think it's unlikely. If Bates and Geronimo to take a few steps forward over the offseason, we could be dark horses IMO. Would like to see us pick up some guys who are 6'10"+ for once.  

• PG: XJ // Gunn // Gabe Cupps
  • SG: Trey // Bates // Jakai
  • SF: Portal player // Geronimo // Banks
  • PF: Reneau // Geronimo
  • C: Portal player // Portal player 

I think one or two of those that you mentioned will not be here next year.  Kaleb Banks is going to get a lot of minutes.

30 minutes ago, IU - Kaulie said:

I think one or two of those that you mentioned will not be here next year.  Kaleb Banks is going to get a lot of minutes.

Yeah? We'll see. I know people speculate about Bates and Geronimo... I could see Bates transferring more likely than Geronimo. But that's me speculating based on 0 facts lol. Agree Banks will have a bigger role next year, could see him playing ~15-24 mins per game over the course of the season

16 hours ago, Hovadipo said:

Looking past my complete lack of math skills, I wonder how they calculate the game in which you got hurt. The NCAA counting X playing in either 11 or 10 games makes a pretty big difference when figuring how many postseason games we need to play for him to have played 30% of our season. 

By rights it shouldn’t count as a game at all, especially if he went down in the 1st half, I can’t remember which half.  But on his stats, it counts as a game played

i went back and looked at the box score and he only played 8 minutes, that should not count as a game played 

Xavier Johnson

Trey Galloway 

Tamar Bates

Gabe Cupps

CJ Gunn

Jakai Newton

Anthony Leal

Kaleb Banks

Malik Reneau

I think Geronimo and Duncomb transfer out. Who do we bring in? No clue. If I could go out and get anyone to add.... Max Abmas, Connor Vanover, Dwayne Cohill all have extra years left. Need a couple more bigs for sure... BUT I am not against playing small if we are committed to running and gunning like the 2005 Suns. Xavier Johnson, Tamar Bates, Trey Galloway, Kaleb Banks and Reneau. Everyone shooting 3s, playing the passing lanes hard and getting out in transition(a reason I'd like Cohill, great defender). But that's all just a dream. It's going to be a rough year in Bloomington likely. 

2 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

It's going to be a rough year in Bloomington likely. 

I think that largely depends on how good the transfer portal bigs we bring in are. And how much the guys currently on the roster improve over the offseason of course.

10 minutes ago, TeeterInNJ said:

Do we have reason to believe he is unhappy/the staff or university is unhappy with him? 

He’s not a BIG10 caliber player.  CMW is a straight shooter.  It’s just my opinion but I think he tells Geronimo that he is welcome to come back as a role player off the bench (at best ) but he is not a starter.  I think this year he leaves to be closer to home to finish his career.  

I doubt anyone transfers until another player transfers in who would likely take away playing time. With four starters leaving (Race, Miller, TJD & JHS), there will be plenty of opportunity for returning roster players to play. If Woodson hits the jackpot in the transfer portal and lands a top player or two, that will affect how returning players view their prospects for playing time. But you can't assume IU will land top transfers. He could end up with more role players. The success to date has not been great in attracting truly good transfer players.

8 minutes ago, Honkyman said:

I doubt anyone transfers until another player transfers in who would likely take away playing time. With four starters leaving (Race, Miller, TJD & JHS), there will be plenty of opportunity for returning roster players to play. If Woodson hits the jackpot in the transfer portal and lands a top player or two, that will affect how returning players view their prospects for playing time. But you can't assume IU will land top transfers. He could end up with more role players. The success to date has not been great in attracting truly good transfer players.

Honestly how many “truly good” transfers are out there.  Most of the A+ players are good with their situation.  Guys transferring are having a tough time at their situation and looking for something better.  Don’t get me wrong there may be some good pieces available but is a TJD type transferring?  With guys like him it’s usually between school and the NBA, not another school. 

20 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Honestly how many “truly good” transfers are out there.  Most of the A+ players are good with their situation.  Guys transferring are having a tough time at their situation and looking for something better.  Don’t get me wrong there may be some good pieces available but is a TJD type transferring?  With guys like him it’s usually between school and the NBA, not another school. 

Last year's portal has 30+ guys who this year averaged 10+ ppg and 3/4+ apg or rpg. Many in there averaging 15+, I stopped counting after 30 on this page: https://247sports.com/Season/2022-Basketball/TransferPortalTop/

If you can find two bigs who average 12-14 ppg and 8-10 rpg, I think that can be a competitive team. 

Add a 3 and D kind of wing player and I think we can be in a similar position to this year or better. 

Still too many variables to say anything with great confidence yet.

1 hour ago, Golfman25 said:

I agree.