Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

Game Thread: vs. Eastern Michigan 11/9 - 6 pm - BTN

Seems like the litmus test is how this staff will address ten minute lapses. That’s a pretty freakin long lapse, but can be overcome against MAC teams. A ten minute lapse in the B1G equals another loss to goddamn Purdue.
Completely agree it's too long. It was in spurts during that 10 min. It has to improve and someone has to step up to stop it quickly when it starts...

Sent from my SM-F926U1 using BtownBanners mobile app

21 hours ago, Dave from Dayton said:

Maybe EMU is 'not that good'.  But they have 10 new players and a new head coach.  The pre-season ranking on EMU and others really doesn't mean a thing.  Did people notice the players that they added.  Some good ones.  

I like the fact that EMU challenged IU.  I don't like the fact that IU faded.  Not surprised.  Hope that gets fixed.

We start this year with a new coach, a new scheme, new players in a stadium with fans that hadn't been happening.  Unknowns are: who will be the point guard starter; who will be the shooting guard; who on this team can shoot; will Race extend and/or rebound; will TJD extend and go right and play defense and hustle; what will the defense look like; will they play sharp on every play; screens; pick and roll; assists; penetrate and dish; rebound; block out; foul out; be stupid; call timely timeouts; have lockerroom issues; will coaches teach;  etc.? We do not know. 

We now have a sample.  Much too small a sample size to know much.

Agreed, no reason to panic. If IU would have rolled and looked great, we'd worry they were peaking too soon!

23 hours ago, Uspshoosier said:

His was basically a 4 minute hot streak where he couldn’t do anything wrong in that timeframe.   Rest of the game before and after that stretch he was no bueno 

He also got a laughable call on a missed 3PT where he kicks out his leg to create contact and then flops.  Hate that call.

27 minutes ago, CS2 said:

He also got a laughable call on a missed 3PT where he kicks out his leg to create contact and then flops.  Hate that call.

Luckily for us, he missed two of the three free throws.  Unfortunately, the shot itself was blocked and we had a run out on it that should have led to an easy bucky.

What gets to me on that call is that the whistle didn't even come until well after the play was over.  It's one of those 'he couldn't have missed the shot that bad so it must have been a foul' calls.

1 hour ago, brumdog45 said:

Luckily for us, he missed two of the three free throws.  Unfortunately, the shot itself was blocked and we had a run out on it that should have led to an easy bucky.

What gets to me on that call is that the whistle didn't even come until well after the play was over.  It's one of those 'he couldn't have missed the shot that bad so it must have been a foul' calls.

The contact was created by the shooter and was on the way down from the pinnacle of the shot.  Reggie miller used to do that and PU got to an elite eight when carson edwards pulled the same move and got away with it.

10 hours ago, IUFAN1976 said:

I agree with this!  It’s 1 game.  This team will improve.  Let’s see how this team looks after 4 or 5 games and again after 8 or 9 games!  I bet this will be a whole different looking team by the end of December!  

GO HOOSIERS!!!!

I do expect improvement, at least little by little.

Game 10 my expectations will start to fill in. 

Right now though, gotta give them at least 5 games to start to gel and play together. 

It'll take Woody at least that to find the right rotation. 

2 hours ago, CS2 said:

The contact was created by the shooter and was on the way down from the pinnacle of the shot.  Reggie miller used to do that and PU got to an elite eight when carson edwards pulled the same move and got away with it.

I think that's even an offensive foul in the NBA this season.

15 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I think what he is saying is what I was trying to say is in the 4 out 1 in offense it's about either getting shots in the paint or driving to the paint and kicking out to the 3. In the NBA you have plenty of guys who can knock down the 3, here we don't. Can you coach that? Or do you need to recruit that? I'm not worried about Woody coaching the game at all. He without a doubt knows how to coach basketball. 

Right.  But that assumes Woody can't/won't adjust.  The best coaches adjust their systems to fit the talent they have.  Unfortunately, we have been thru two coaches who where too stubborn to adjust.  

23 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

A good way to break up one of those lapses: somebody, anybody, hit a freaking 3-pointer. 

In a sense, I disagree with that. I feel like the best teams/floor generals/coaches can sense things getting sideways and take a possession or two to get deliberate on offense. It might be running a set play you feel good about or some ball movement into your best action. 

Same thing applies to breaking up runs by the other team, imo.  

So where I give Woody credit and something I was happy to see was them just continually get TJD post touches when things got hairy down the stretch.

1 hour ago, str8baller said:

In a sense, I disagree with that. I feel like the best teams/floor generals/coaches can sense things getting sideways and take a possession or two to get deliberate on offense. It might be running a set play you feel good about or some ball movement into your best action. 

Same thing applies to breaking up runs by the other team, imo.  

So where I give Woody credit and something I was happy to see was them just continually get TJD post touches when things got hairy down the stretch.

We could have stopped the run at any time but 1) wanted to see how we performed in a close game and 2) didn't want to reveal any go to plays... /s

I was really hoping to see a player step-up and take charge during that run. We did start to get TJD the ball a bit but other players must step up to get buckets. TJD can't do it alone.