Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2024) PF - Derik Queen to Maryland

On 11/10/2023 at 8:43 AM, 8bucks said:

I agree unless he wants to see what Woodson's offense would look like now that TJD is gone.  Woody has said having TJD was great but created a need to run a different offense than he preferred.  So that begs the question, what will his offense really look like.  

Good God, I hope that's not his plan... because if it is, IU's first 4 games are screaming "Go somewhere else!" 

As embarrassing as the first 4 games have been for us as fans, imagine being a 5-star recruit and hitching your wagon to that.

2 minutes ago, AZ Hoosier said:

Good God, I hope that's not his plan... because if it is, IU's first 4 games are screaming "Go somewhere else!" 

As embarrassing as the first 4 games have been for us as fans, imagine being a 5-star recruit and hitching your wagon to that.

image.png

Better than hitching it to this lol.

3 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

image.png

Is it too greedy to add "2. An above average natural shooter to compliment, or at least back up Liam, so that we can (gulp) have what every other power conference team has, being multiple outside weapons"?  

Just now, triple said:

Is it too greedy to add "2. An above average natural shooter to compliment, or at least back up Liam, so that we can (gulp) have what every other power conference team has, being multiple outside weapons"?  

Include: All players make vast improvements throughout the preconference games;

All players play well in conference games;

Compete favorably with the best in the conference;

Get a decent seed in the NCAAT;

Get into the Sweet 16 with a decent opportunity to advance;

Start thinking about hanging another banner!

Is Liam capable of playing the 2? I assume he's more of a SF, especially on defense.

He often plays the 2 for Montverde. Then sometimes the 3. He’s capable but he’s not your traditional 2. Woody loves positional size so I wouldn’t rule it out but he slots as a 3 most appropriately.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He often plays the 2 for Montverde. Then sometimes the 3. He’s capable but he’s not your traditional 2. Woody loves positional size so I wouldn’t rule it out but he slots as a 3 most appropriately.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

*It's not gonna happen* for like 8 reasons, but Mack staying, developing, and playing the 4 with Liam at the 3 makes me feel things.

5 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

*It's not gonna happen* for like 8 reasons, but Mack staying, developing, and playing the 4 with Liam at the 3 makes me feel things.

It’s not the outcome we “should” want because it means our 8th-ranked 5 star didn’t go pro, but I *could* see him stay if there’s an upward trajectory throughout the season and Reneau goes pro. That opens up the 4 and gives him a chance to show even more on tape while boosting his draft and potential lottery status. Queen at the 5, Mack at the 4 and Liam at the 3 - is this #DreamB1G24? 

3 minutes ago, IUHoosier5 said:

It’s not the outcome we “should” want because it means our 8th-ranked 5 star didn’t go pro, but I *could* see him stay if there’s an upward trajectory throughout the season and Reneau goes pro. That opens up the 4 and gives him a chance to show even more on tape while boosting his draft and potential lottery status. Queen at the 5, Mack at the 4 and Liam at the 3 - is this #DreamB1G24? 

Yeah I love this scenario, but I'm thinking - and USPS has alluded to this aka it isn't actually an original thought - that no matter what happens Mack is outta here for better or worse. It happens around the country pretty often, but it definitely sucks.

I did realize we're in the Queen thread though so I'll leave it at this so Old Fart doesn't dock my pay.

5 minutes ago, IUHoosier5 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing him stay. People worry too much about "negative recruiting" and how coaches might use it against us when it comes to player development. Our results over the past 6-7 years are all the ammo coaches need. We aren't going to miss on our top targets because a guy wasn't quite good enough to get drafted at age 19. 

On 11/21/2023 at 12:42 AM, IUHoosier5 said:

If I’m DQ, I’m watching Reneau and thinking to myself, ‘Dang, I’ve got footwork like him. I’m gonna eat in their system.’

To be fair I would love to have him come but if he is really open to Houston, and Kansas the fact that those programs have been consistently a top 10 ish the last few years would be pretty attractive.  I would really want to attract kids that want to be a part of a winning program vs just coming here to get minutes and individual production.  We really need to get to that next tier of success and DQ may be able to help us get there but not being at that level also may be why we cannot land more guys like him.

On 11/22/2023 at 9:11 AM, IUHoosier5 said:

Where would Mgbako go? Those early draft projections will go out the window if it already hasn’t. Unless he does a complete 180 he isn’t going pro this year.

Similarly, Reneau isn’t going pro either. There is no place in the NBA for a plodding 6’9” player. TJD is twice as athletic and was an all-American and he was a late 2nd rounder.

I’m not saying both will be here next year as players transfer etc but pro? No