Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Demo

What Are You Willing to Live With?

2 hours ago, JSHoosier said:

We're going to have to play the game if we want to win.  I don't want us covering up sexual assault or rapes, but we have to be willing to play in terms of recruiting.  Not really breaking rules when the MCAA doesn't care to enforce them. 

This is where I’m at. 

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

win the right win fun but winning and then vacating those wins are not.  I still can't believe how fat this fan base has fallen the last few years.  I thought I would never hear IU fans saying they want to win no matter the cost of doing it.  It is truly embarrassing to me as a long time fan.  I would rather never win another championship than winning one while cheating to get hat title.  I would assume most saying to whatever it takes are the younger fans who never seen a championship.

What's embarrassing to me is only making 10 tournaments in the past 20 years and only 1 elite eight in my 26 year lifetime. 'Cheating' is the way of the game in college basketball. It has been for decades. John Wooden didn't win all those titles in the 60s and 70s by being Mr. Clean. And the NCAA has made it perfectly clear that they're ok with it. If you want to do things the 'right' way in 21st century college and consistently win big then you better have a top 3 or 4 head coach. You aren't consistently winning big and doing it cleanly with the coaches IU has hired this century. 

1 hour ago, Hardwood83 said:

Absolutely. Cheating is stealing wins from those who play by the rules. Not a victimless crime. 

Is it ok to cheat at Candyland with your 6 yr old daughter? Apparently it is if you really to want to WIN! 

What if your 6 yr old daughter stacked the deck?

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

What's embarrassing to me is only making 10 tournaments in the past 20 years and only 1 elite eight in my 26 year lifetime. 'Cheating' is the way of the game in college basketball. It has been for decades. John Wooden didn't win all those titles in the 60s and 70s by being Mr. Clean. And the NCAA has made it perfectly clear that they're ok with it. If you want to do things the 'right' way in 21st century college and consistently win big then you better have a top 3 or 4 head coach. You aren't consistently winning big and doing it cleanly with the coaches IU has hired this century. 

3 of the last 5 champions are clean in Villanova and UVA so I disagree 

I don't look at thing as just winning championships or bust either.  I want to eventually win championships but I first care about getting back to competing for the conference titles first.  People need to learn to enjoy the journey instead of needing the results right away.

I'm personally good with playing in the grey area but within the rules, with the compliance dept. working TOGETHER with the basketball program, to assist it, in working within the rules (and not playing a gotcha role, as a limiter).

Work within the rules, maintain the integrity of IU basketball, while pushing the envelope where there is grey.

No, I'm not at all on board with violating the rules just because other programs (UNC, KU, UK, Syracuse, AZ, etc. etc.) do. Win, but win right, but also go full bore with compliance dept. assistance. 

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

3 of the last 5 champions are clean in Villanova and UVA so I disagree 

That's where this comes in. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If you want to do things the 'right' way in 21st century college and consistently win big then you better have a top 3 or 4 head coach.

Tony Bennett and Jay Wright are two of the very best coaches in college basketball. And even then, I question just how clean those programs actually are.. 

I guess I am really not sure what you are asking.  What will it take for me to stop being a fan?  How much unethical stuff am I willing to live with to have a consistent winner?  

For me I would rather lose every game than have a coach and player knowingly and willingly violate the rules, no matter how dumb and out of date those rules are.  I was offended when IU hired Sampson, and was kind of glad IU got kicked in the teeth over that one.  I would say if we hire Pitino, I will probably never watch another BB game again.  

Maybe, just because I am old and set in my ways, but I want a coach and players that always strive to represent the University in the very best possible light.  I want student athletes that will take advantage of the IU Bill of rights, and become graduates no matter what their employment goals are. 

I see it as three main “buckets” of current issues. 

1. pay- I think the likeness thing will take this off the table, and quite frankly I’m fine with that. These guys should be able to profit off if their own image and/or fame.  

2. Grades - I’ll never support a diploma mill type situation. Otoh, I get that some of these kids aren’t scholars. As long as they are actually required to do something towards a real degree, work at it (even with heavy tutoring),  and learn some life skills along the way I can live with it. 

3. Character- I’ll never put up with and support a program that coddles  borderline violent criminals because they can play ball. Indiana has been really lucky to have a long history of pretty high character guys. The Zellers, VOs, JJs, Damon Baileys, Chaneys, Hendersons, etc...  We could go further back too.  Some of our best players have been our best character guys. I do not think we should, nor have to, deviate from that standard to have a good team. 

I’m for the paying for using athlete’s likeness....anything to get the ncaa 2K football and basketball series back.

FWIW, those of you following the return of the 2K football game, it is coming back but not until 2023.  My guess is they are waiting on the likeness decisions to be decided to see how they tailor their game.

13 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

I go back to the glory days but college sports is big business now days. You don’t play the game you will be left behind.

Most everyone is dirty, imho. There’s just varying levels of dirt. I don’t think even Crean was clean at IU. February/March of 2015 he was in trouble. Recruiting wasn’t going well and we were having another bad season. Suddenly, we land a McDonald’s all American from Rochester, New York. Then Crean’s recruiter leaves IU for Louisville. Was that recruitment legit? People can decide for themselves...

Most everyone is dirty, imho. There’s just varying levels of dirt. I don’t think even Crean was clean at IU. February/March of 2015 he was in trouble. Recruiting wasn’t going well and we were having another bad season. Suddenly, we land a McDonald’s all American from Rochester, New York. Then Crean’s recruiter leaves IU for Louisville. Was that recruitment legit? People can decide for themselves...

Yes I am sure Kenny jhonson was playing the game here thats probably why university 6 wanted him. He new how to play and they were ready to add him to the staff. He recruited James Blackmon Jr when he switched to iu from uk

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk