Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Banksyrules

Ooooook who’s your # 2?

7 minutes ago, Jam said:

That would be a huge surprise, but I would never say a bad thing about Mike Woodson. Legend!

Well he was a great shooter and should be able to help this teams shooting.

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey all - get yourselves on wiki and compare the resumes of Mike Woodson versus Dane Fife. 

Curious who you like.

I don’t like either of them. If we’re in a position where we’re choosing between one of them then we are in big trouble. Just when I think we can’t get any worse when it comes to candidates, we get worse. As much as I don’t want Fife, Woodson would be even worse. At least Fife has potential to be a good hire. Woodson is 63 years old. If we’re going to hire the guy in his 60s then hire the one with recent proven Big Ten success.  

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Hey all - get yourselves on wiki and compare the resumes of Mike Woodson versus Dane Fife. 

Curious who you like.

Woodson being 63 and Fife being 41 does bear mentioning, though.  

Personally, neither are guys I want.  But it ain't my rodeo to run.  And I'm not going to pretend to have a crystal ball to how either would do.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Curious who you like.

Dane at 25 taking a terrible program to a better place in five years. 

Age 30 joins a Big Ten staff. He knows the conference. Recruits know him and his program. He knows fellow assistant coaches that he knows can recruit Indiana and the Midwest. He’s actually coached on the college level unlike Woodson. 

Seems pretty obvious to me. 

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

His last stint in the NBA is now. He’s been in demand from the day he retired as a player. (Not sure what in g_D’s name Roy Hubert has to do with lol)

Wanna know how he played for Indiana? A true leader on a national champion. That’s how he played.

I  love you Treesh; you’re funny and interesting, but your hot take is way too hot— you need to reassess.

He wasn't on the championship team.  He graduated in 1980 but that team had a chance until Woodson hurt his back and had to have surgery.  He came back and played half the season and was still the big ten MVP.

11 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Mike Woodson would be the most IU thing ever. He turns 63 on Wednesday and he has a 46% winning percentage in the NBA. I refuse to believe that IU would be this dumb. If they are, my winters just cleared up. 

His winning % as a coach? Took over the worst team in the NBA. First four years as a head coach 106-222. Next five years as an NBA head coach? 209-143.

As an NBA assistant coach? 566-493. 

10 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Dane at 25 taking a terrible program to a better place in five years. 

Age 30 joins a Big Ten staff. He knows the conference. Recruits know him and his program. He knows fellow assistant coaches that he knows can recruit Indiana and the Midwest. He’s actually coached on the college level unlike Woodson. 

Seems pretty obvious to me. 

All true! And not shabby at all.

2 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

His winning % as a coach? Took over the worst team in the NBA. First four years as a head coach 106-222. Next five years as an NBA head coach? 209-143.

As an NBA assistant coach? 566-493. 

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen someone’s record as an assistant coach referenced before.. I’m sorry, but there’s nothing that would get me excited about this hire. It would be completely underwhelming. He’s another coach who no one would ever consider for the job if he hadn’t played at IU over four decades ago. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever seen someone’s record as an assistant coach referenced before.. I’m sorry, but there’s nothing that would get me excited about this hire. It would be completely underwhelming. He’s another coach who no one would ever consider for the job if he hadn’t played at IU over four decades ago. 

Only because there was some talk of how he’s with a sucky Knicks team. That’s the complete resume.

At the end of the day, winning on the court is infinitely more important than winning the hiring sweepstakes or the press conference. But with that said, Woodson or Fife would be huge losses in terms of the hires themselves. 

It would mean Dolson either struck out on all of the proven, established hire major college coaches, or maybe worse that he didn't even try. 

12 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Only because there was some talk of how he’s with a sucky Knicks team. That’s the complete resume.

He was a mediocre head coach in the NBA. In 8 full seasons he had a winning record three times. He hasn’t been a head coach since 2014. He’s never coached college basketball before, and he turns 63 on Wednesday. He played basketball for IU over four decades ago, but that has nothing to do with his coaching abilities. Recruits’ parents were children when he was at IU, if they were even alive. I’m 26 years old and my mom was 5 during Woodson’s last year at IU. I sincerely hope that this is nothing more than a smokescreen from IU. Otherwise, IU is in a far worse place than I thought that we were. We’ll find out soon enough.

4 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

FWIW, there is probably a reason that we are hearing about Woodson right now:  he's available to touch base with.  Lot of coaches we are probably looking at aren't as they are still coaching in the tourney.  Nothing wrong with testing the waters to gauge what's available.

This is a GREAT post, especially because it’s flat out true. With others we have to speak with agents, with Woody we can speak to the guy.

1 hour ago, Treesh said:

I watch NBA mostly and there is a reason why Mike Woodson isn’t a head coach. It’s the same reason Marc Jackson isn’t a head coach. 

His last stint was when the NBA was different. Roy Hibbert was a starting center in the NBA for Christ sakes. 2014 to 2021 has changed in terms of style of play in the NBA. 

Im sure he’s a great guy. I’m too young to even know he played for Indiana. (I knew he played here) But again with the connections, if he wasn’t an IU grad then he wouldn’t be considered for this job at all. We might as well Hire Jason Kidd! Throw in Alvin Gentry! 

If you want to go the Indiana connections route. Go with a young coach that recruits already know and see at each recruiting event. Dane ******* Fife! Hire Lewis as an associate head coach and call it your Indiana guy. 

Dane Fire is the Indiana guy, not Mike Woodson. 

I’d take Woodson over Fife any day of the week. Fife is terrible.