Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

Candidate Thread: Chris Beard (Texas Tech)

2 minutes ago, madmax said:

I could care less what we pay him if he wins.

Well, if we could pay in retrospect that would be one thing.  We can’t. He’s not guaranteed success.  Big Ten is tough.  It eats you.  

I like him as a candidate, but if we make him the 3rd highest paid coach he better win big. 

Offer Tony Bennett again in that case. 

Am I seeing correctly that his buyout is $15M+? Is the second philanthropic donor in for that?

That’s only for schools in the state of Texas.

His buyout for schools outside the state is like 2.5million or something close to that

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Go look at his Twitter. There's some things there that convince me he won't even consider Indiana.. 

Like what? Confused 

Just now, VO5 said:

Like what? Confused 

Pretty close to his family. He’s divorced. He’s going to split his daughters up like that? 

His mom has cancer by the looks of it? Unaware of where she lives but that could be a factor of not leaving Texas. 

The Texas poison pill is interesting. It makes it seem like he’s waiting for Texas to open up. If Shaka fails this week then it could happen sooner than later.. 

I think Beard is a great coach.  One of the ways I judge a coach is to look at how he has done at his school compared to his school's overall history.  Tech has little history.  They made it out of the first round of the tournament a grand total of 6 times before Beard got there.  He's arguably already the most successful coach they've ever had, including Bob Knight.  He's already had more consecutive winning seasons than any coach they've ever had.  Likewise, at Arkansas-Little Rock, look at that school's record the year before he got there (13-18) and the year after he left (15-17).  Yet, he was 31-5.  He's a difference-maker, and that is hard to find.  He hasn't coached at places where everybody generally wins, like Archie and Crean had.  And for icing on the cake, he knocked Purdue out the tournament at both schools.     

30 minutes ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

I think Beard is a great coach.  One of the ways I judge a coach is to look at how he has done at his school compared to his school's overall history.  Tech has little history.  They made it out of the first round of the tournament a grand total of 6 times before Beard got there.  He's arguably already the most successful coach they've ever had, including Bob Knight.  He's already had more consecutive winning seasons than any coach they've ever had.  Likewise, at Arkansas-Little Rock, look at that school's record the year before he got there (13-18) and the year after he left (15-17).  Yet, he was 31-5.  He's a difference-maker, and that is hard to find.  He hasn't coached at places where everybody generally wins, like Archie and Crean had.  And for icing on the cake, he knocked Purdue out the tournament at both schools.     

You make a compelling case. 

I'll give almost anyone a chance (except Pitino) so if IU hires him I won't bash it. Wins will cure everything. 

8 hours ago, IUHoosierJoe said:

Beard is fantastic and young.

Doubtful he’d leave but it’d be great

14 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Fred Glass blew nothing but smoke at us when he told us who he was looking for in a coach.  Dolson isn't going to do that.  Here's what he said he was looking for:

What’s important to us is that it’s a style of play that recruits want to play in and that recruits see that they can see themselves in, but then also is really on the cutting edge of where is basketball going, where is college basketball going, and as you can see, basketball is different than it was three years ago, four years ago, six years ago in terms of how it fits into the NBA and moving on and playing professionally.

I don't think that fits Beard as our next coach.

I immediately thought the same thing re Beard when I saw that. If anything, Drew fits that description much better.

That having been said, I do think some are understating how good Beard is. This team is very young, only one senior on the roster. His recruiting is also much more national than I would have expected, with only a few Texas kids on the roster. And he's also proven adept at identifying impact transfers that fit his system, which is likely to prove to be an important skill moving forward.

14 hours ago, Treesh said:

Did you guys see his girlfriend on the big screen? She looks.. like a lot. I don't think she would like Bloomington folks LOL

Ha.  She is in freaking lubbock TX for god's sake.  

I believe Beard is a longer putt than Stevens simply because of his personal situation and the fact that he already makes more money than they can spend.