Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

3 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

or our offer to Brad is $4.4 mil for his first year.  

I hope not because I think he would probably laugh at that. I dont see him getting anything short of about 7.

4 hours ago, Kentuckysucks said:

So apparently the school that kept Davis on for 6 years and hired Sampson only because they were minorities might be racist.  They're getting nervous fellas.

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/are-there-any-minority-candidates-being-considered-for-the-iu-job.208649/

Nice...great to hear from the crew that has had a combination of Gene Keady and Pork Belly over the past 40 years - and I would guess similar in the program's entire history prior.   The most diverse thing about those two has been Keady's hair piece! 

6 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

To change gears here because I still don't believe it'll be Brad. Although I will say it went from like 5% to 20% for me......still not good odds. Anyhow I'm going to start putting a couple coaches against each other that seem similar in some way and I'd like to hear who you guys would rather have. Let's start with:

Nate Oats vs Eric Musselman

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Good question.  Musselman has NBA head coaching experience, so advantage to him there.  Everything else I'd have to give to Oats.  Oats is 10 years younger, plays a more attractive style to recruits, and appears to recruit a little better.  Overall I'd give the advantage to Oats, but I'd be happy with either one.

Thad Matta vs John Beilein

This one is also tough for me. If Matta is healthy enough then it's a no brainer but his back worries me. My issue with Beilein is he'd be a band-aid that would have to be removed in 5-7 years and then there would be no guarantee his successor could maintain the trajectory. I'd still go with Matta because I believe he could get an incredible staff that could help minimize his health problems i.e. on the recruiting trail, practices etc.

18 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

Keith Smart allegedly checks all the boxes the writer of that article wants -- and it's a very arbitrary set of boxes. It really didn't have anything to do with what the administration wants. 

What does the administration want?  

1 minute ago, jmsgws said:

What does the administration want?  

No idea. ... This fellow was just saying the article reflected what the administration wanted. Instead, it reflected what the writer wanted in the next coach. 

6 minutes ago, rcs29 said:

Chris Beard vs Scott Drew

This one is tough for me but I think I'd lean Beard because I think he could really rebuild the brand and his personality would be a great fit here. Why this one is tough is because Drew has proven he can take nothing and make it very good. He has also landed and utilized elite recruits which Beard really has not. May not be any of Beard's fault but it's the reality. Still lean Beard though.

Agree with you.  I wanted Beard when Archie was hired,  He just looked like an up-and-coming star back then.  I'm a bit concerned he hasn't been able to sustain that extra-high level with his own roster, but it's Texas Tech.  Nobody is going to win big every year there.  Drew has had rebuilding years at Baylor, too.  I'd prefer Beard, but again would be happy with both.