Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

JaybobHoosier

General Coach Candidate News

Might I also add that by working at Duke and UNC that I’m not opposed to programs trying to get an edge if you will because simply the dynamics of the NCAA. There are better options than Beard. Trust me I know what IU’s problem is but it has nothing to do with the coaches we pick but the administration that does the picking. 

27 minutes ago, southernindianahoosier2 said:

Dysfunction continued up until 2021 when Glass and Mcrobbie were both let go. Although their goal wasn't explicitly to de-emphasize sports under that administration, winning didn't seem to be a priority for them, and instead the focus and vision seemed to be "to do things the right way". This is seen through the lack of accountability falling on the AD from the president, and lack of accountability on the coaches from the AD. Losing programs are okay with this attitude, winning programs are not. 

Wait -- is this news? I grew up in Indiana and graduated from IU, but for the past 30 years, I've lived abroad, so to speak (Minnesota, Texas, Virginia), so I'm not as in tune to IU news as I wanna be or should be. 

I just took it at face value that both "retired" (McRobbie he was 69 when he left). Were they forced out? I don't recall hearing/reading that anywhere. Again, I don't have the inside info many do, but if they did anything but leave of their own volition, this is news to me. 

1 minute ago, Banksyrules said:

Because you still are employed by a university.  Who 50% of the students happen to be women.  The reality of the world is that the court system is horribly inept with domestic abuse. It might satisfy your needs but I guarantee you women will feel otherwise.  It just makes me so upset how there’s no perspective in life with some people.  Sports is not everything. And if it is to you , I’m sorry you need to branch out and diversify your life.  I’m personally glad I’m not rooting for a  SEC school and we actually have standards. 

What standards does IU have? This comment is so @$$ backwards. This same university employed Bob Knight for nearly 30 years despite a long and repeated pattern of physical, verbal, and emotional abuse. And they employed him till he was no longer winning at the the level he was accustomed too. Spare me with the image bulls***. 

That's enough on Beard and domestic violence.  By now, Helen Keller would be able to discern who was pro-Beard and who is anti-Beard.  This is a coaching candidate thread and not a thread to discus domestic violence as disgusting as it is.  Let's all take a deep breath and move on.  Thank you.

11 hours ago, Ngw7183 said:

You show your colors all the time. For someone to throw stones and act like someone knows nothing while you know a ton is comical? Wrong? Sad? 

You are same guy last year who went on and on about how our facilities are great compared to top 25 programs, how recruits don’t even care, etc. that told me all I needed to know.  IU has more to worry about than the next coach. The football situation seems there is hope. 

I can be very direct, try and prove my side, argue, etc. but, I have on here and will again admit when I am wrong. You don’t. You are always right. Just ask you. 

I live rent-free in his head. And I love it. :-)

12 hours ago, BGleas said:

Yeah, Stevens was never coming to IU the last cycle. He's an NBA guy at this point. 

Like I said earlier, the person I spoke to in the Celtics org didn't even hesitate with an emphatic "no" when I asked if he thought Stevens would ever go back to the college game. 

It was a flatout no. This is not a guy that was having a family debate about coming back to the college game, even at IU. 

I totally believe everything you said but we will always agree to disagree on this and that is OK

4 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I totally believe everything you said but we will always agree to disagree on this and that is OK

All good! Want to make sure we're on the same page, my comments weren't intended to disparage you or your information. Not at all. 

I believe you heard what you're sharing from whoever your sources are, etc.

In this case, based on what I've heard from extremely relaible people in Boston, I don't think it's accurate. 

30 minutes ago, HoosierTrav said:

The issue is that we haven’t had a single coach that would be able to win with those kids. I think that’s why the fanbase so desperately wants Stevens to coach here. We all know he can win with lower ranked kids from the state. He's proved that already. He has no known personal baggage. He would completely unite the fanbase. I agree. It’s never going to happen. But he’s the only guy that can meet everyone’s expectations.

Everyone else is a complete coin flip. Beard wins here immediately but fractures the base beyond repair. I’ll admit that. I have been on the record that I think he would win here and big. I don’t feel like going down that road again bc I don’t have the energy to fight with people and defend my character from assassination by complete strangers. I’ll just agree to disagree.

I’ll also admit that he’s not a good fit for the university. They take many issues more seriously than winning. Thats fine. I respect it in some ways (their firm stance on domestic violence). Some ways I don't (their decision to force Sampson out, rather than reprimand or suspend). I think the school wants to win but not as bad as the programs who are winning consistently. I think that fact is really difficult for anyone to dispute. I also think it’s a pill that the fanbase (myself included) needs to finally swallow, so that we can finally adjust our expectations for this program. If the university’s expectations match the fanbases, there would be 40 year gaps between titles and 50% tournament birth rate over a 20 year period. It simply wouldn’t happen. So I think the only rational explanation, is that winning is not a priority. Is what it is. We’d be happier as Purdue fans. 

There's a guy out there who could possibly be the best Xs and Os guy in the league on day 1.  He's available and would be cheap.  Would kill it with those 3 star recruits Brad had at Butler.  Did I also mention that his wife is a lot of fun at games?

gregg-marshall-abuse-allegations.jpg

4 minutes ago, Kentuckysucks said:

There's a guy out there who could possibly be the best Xs and Os guy in the league on day 1.  He's available and would be cheap.  Would kill it with those 3 star recruits Brad had at Butler.  Did I also mention that his wife is a lot of fun at games?

gregg-marshall-abuse-allegations.jpg

I remember a time when IU fans didn't want him because he looked too much like Tom Crean. 

1 hour ago, realTomCrean said:

So with the news of IUBB having benign talks of life after Coach Woodson, it's worth asking from those who'd know: Is Woodson flirting with the idea of retirement, or is this strictly others talking about the what's to come after him? @Chris007

I think some money pushing him to resign has crossed his mind. He's not walking away from 12 million & Quinn is not going to do his best friend wrong. So I think it's crossed his mind. I think boosters are split on Dusty, Schrews and a proven winner not named Beard. 

47 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

At least you're honest about it and I respect that.

They loud minority on here vehemently opposing someone like Chris Beard will also be the same camp 10-15 years from now wondering why IU is still a third rate B10 program. 

Chris Beard isn't the end all and be all.  There are other options available who will do well and haven't put hands on their wife.  I don't understand the dogged determination to push a guy with that many red flags.

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Chris Beard isn't the end all and be all.  There are other options available who will do well and haven't put hands on their wife.  I don't understand the dogged determination to push a guy with that many red flags.

Because he's a troll and just likes to argue. 

3 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I wonder how that’s calculated. Looks like you get some points for beating up inferior competition. I think any list that doesn’t have Tony Bennett in the top ten is a little suspect. In the last ten seasons in the same conference as legends at Duke and UNC, he won at least a share of the conference 6x and an NCAA title.  

He’s from the midwest and still heavily recruits here. And it seems uva is struggling a little in the new NiL/transfer era, so I wouldn’t even be surprised if a big school could make a run at him.

But in the never ending saga of IU f-ups apparently we made an enemy of the Bennetts by firing his sister. If this program didn’t have bad luck, we wouldn’t have any luck at all. Lol