Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

Wasn't good... But 1000% guarantee this board and I 1000% know Inside the Hall boards(because I was probably banned shortly after both lol) that Gelon and Even Priller were going to be good and contribute by their Junior and Senior years... That was a legitimate belief.

Lol. You can imagine my reaction and the debates here re:Gelon. Especially as Sasha outplayed him all season long. The other recruitment that blew my mind was Max Hoetzel/Montana. I’m pretty sure Crean never watched him play a live game. It had become so obvious. I do like Crean even through his oddities. Just more examples of coaches making millions missing talent evaluations.
Archie surprisingly was awful at it too. Or at least getting it to work on the court. His early Rhodesia Island struggles kinda mirroring Crean’s career arc.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

Wasn't good... But 1000% guarantee this board and I 1000% know Inside the Hall boards(because I was probably banned shortly after both lol) that Gelon and Even Priller were going to be good and contribute by their Junior and Senior years... That was a legitimate belief.

I can guarantee you not many on this board thought Gelon was going to be good.   Of course there were some that thought he could in time but most knew it was a reach.   I will never forget watching him at the forum tip-off classic and reporting back here that he had a goose egg and they didn’t even run the last play for him in the game they ran it for a junior kid.  That junior turned out to be Sasha from Purdue.  

Ok but this isn’t Crean.
and if all this assuming is based on Rhabjohn then I think that is short sighted. 

BB recruiting is not that different than recruiting in business. People can be a priority until you hear what they want paid, their expectations for 9-5 work etc. Then you go an look for a better option. Doesn’t mean you settle. 
you also don’t put all your eggs in one basket and sometimes someone you would have taken is now off the table because a better option became a reality that you didn’t believe you could get. 

All are certainly options. Its not all Rabjohns but he guides the narrative. Then sometimes Leakers leak info.. examples: Dan Fife’s firing and his “issues”. Caleb Love that he wants 25 shots. DHS that he wasn’t a fit. . Some others. You never really know but the quality of the players that ultimately say yes tell the tale in the end. Excited to see it unfold. I genuinely wonder if the NIL talk happens In stage 1 or stage 5 because knowing the landscape a lot of energy might be saved if it happens at stage 1.

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Wow….

I’ve never said we are gonna suck. I believe I AM realistic and I could write an 18 paragraph post about too, but no one wants that. Lol.

My reaction yesterday was primarily based on DeLoach and how I don’t think he is a fit for us to be at the level I want us to be. Coupled with that, was 2023 recruiting efforts/results and the progression of a few of the recruitments we are currently in. (At the time, Timberlake, Shedrick, and to some extent Love (although that one is a blessing, I’m sure)).

I’ve been stating all year how big this off-season was going to be. I’m excited we are portaling. We need mature pieces that are college ready. I do “fear” what comes if we don’t hit it big and have a nice off season thus making the tournament.

I feel like the staff knows what we need to do, but it’s hard out there and it’s bidding wars central and with HOW much we need I’m concerned at the level of player we will get. But that doesn’t at all mean I think we will suck. I know we will get some good pieces. It’s the fan in me to project good fits and what not. To sense struggles if I feel we are having struggles. This is probably the part that angers so many I guess.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

touch-grass-touch.gif

12 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Archie surprisingly was awful at it too. Or at least getting it to work on the court. His early Rhodesia Island struggles kinda mirroring Crean’s career arc.

Miller's problem wasn't just getting it to work on the court. He was pretty bad at player evaluations. If you look at the all of players he recruited, even those he didn't land, there were lots of busts so it wasn't just that he didn't coach them well enough.

I feel comfortable with our frontcourt going into next year. Sounds like the staff is really going to push for Ledlum to commit this weekend which is what Chris and Rabby have said. Feels like they are in good shape to land a 5 (Ware/Shedrick/Handlogten). All that's left is a guard/wing. Knecht would be a nice get. I don't know how things stand with Timberlake but he didn't commit to UNC on/after his visit. Just can't stress how important it is for this program to keep going forward and to not take a step back. Can't afford to have a 2013-2014 like season with the '24 and '25 classes coming up. 

25 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Lol. You can imagine my reaction and the debates here re:Gelon. Especially as Sasha outplayed him all season long. The other recruitment that blew my mind was Max Hoetzel/Montana. I’m pretty sure Crean never watched him play a live game. It had become so obvious. I do like Crean even through his oddities. Just more examples of coaches making millions missing talent evaluations.

Living around Crown Point, 1000% Stefanovic was better than Gelon in high school.

26 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

I can guarantee you not many on this board thought Gelon was going to be good.   Of course there were some that thought he could in time but most knew it was a reach.   I will never forget watching him at the forum tip-off classic and reporting back here that he had a goose egg and they didn’t even run the last play for him in the game they ran it for a junior kid.  That junior turned out to be Sasha from Purdue.  

They also ran the last play of the sectional final for Stefanovic.  He hit the game winner.

3 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

True, but that wasn't even the aspect I meant. A quarter to a third of players changing teams PER YEAR?! At some point the silliness is gonna matter. 

One has to wonder if and when the Fed Gov't will step in.

1 hour ago, Ngw7183 said:

BB recruiting is not that different than recruiting in business. People can be a priority until you hear what they want paid, their expectations for 9-5 work etc. Then you go an look for a better option. Doesn’t mean you settle. 

you also don’t put all your eggs in one basket and sometimes someone you would have taken is now off the table because a better option became a reality that you didn’t believe you could get. 

That is an excellent point. All we see are some highlight videos or a few games during the season, but there are more to these kids and other aspects to the relationship. 

1 hour ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Oddly enough... I actually liked Hoetzel. He definitely would have been better off on the 12 or 13 team or even the 16 team. Him, Hanner and Which Hand? Stan transferred out... Then we win the B1G. But I do think Hoetzel could have thrived more the year after. He was definitely a good shooter. Oddly enough, he was probably a better shooter than anyone SDSU had on the team this year.

1 hour ago, TeeterInNJ said:

100% true story

I sat next to Jeremiah April and Tim Priller on the first day of Psych 101. We introduced ourselves. 

Jeremiah asked me if I could share my notes with him. Tim told him to take his own. 

I said "You guys are on the basketball team right?" Jeremiah said "Yeah, but if basketball doesn't work out I'm going to move to Colorado and become a Rastafarian." Colorado had just started legal recreational marijuana sales. 

Tim looked mortified, we all awkwardly laughed, and I only sat near them again once all semester. 

Ran into April a handful of times on campus during school hours and…after hours…and he never didn’t smell like he just finished hot boxing.