Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IUc2016

NCAA MBB Transfer Portal

2 hours ago, Chris007 said:

I was going to say that roster right now is better than Penn St, Minny, Nebraska, ILL, Michigan, maybe a few others

Yeah,I was thinking the same.

Add a scoring wing and a defensive stopper in the middle and we won't be terrible.

6 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I hope that is the case. It's possible he tries to do too much (there's a history here) being the best or one of the best players on the team too.

I 100% think there will still be some growing pains with X. I think that is just who he is. But if we can get him right, for most of the season then that will help a lot. 

17 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

I'm seeing intimations here that X will be back. 

Are we just referring to his intentions -- or has he actually been granted the waiver? 

Haven't seen anything yet that the NCAA has issued any ruling. 

He’s reported to having announced it to Hoosier Hysterics released sometime today.  

12 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Only one person has called X elite.

Admittedly I didn't read through the rest of the comments around that time. I figured it panned out similarly to what we typically see here of "why are you so negative we have x, y, z" with several posters agreeing then a retort that flows the other way. One side claiming the other is too positive/negative until a poster tells another to get off the board to get fresh air/touch grass/doing something because they're freaking out.

Rinse and repeat

I believe we can all agree we had a superior roster of talent this past season than what is projected for next season that led us to a T2 in the Big 1.o and a first round W. Can the coming season be one where the sum of its parts is better than the individual talent? I don't think we've been there for many years.

5 minutes ago, RaceToTheTop said:

Only one person has called X elite.

call me out if you want....I could care less. This exactly what I posted earlier.  

X is and elite level PG and if he is granted another year at IU, we will be in decent shape.

I specifically added "level" behind elite because IMO, he has the ability and has shown flashes to be elite. My intention was to put him in a class close to elite and better that average. I also added elite level because of his defense too. 

5 minutes ago, Artie86 said:

call me out if you want....I could care less. This exactly what I posted earlier.  

X is and elite level PG and if he is granted another year at IU, we will be in decent shape.

I specifically added "level" behind elite because IMO, he has the ability and has shown flashes to be elite. My intention was to put him in a class close to elite and better that average. I also added elite level because of his defense too. 

Well yeah, Race was an elite level shooter when he made a few in a row in one game. TJD was an elite level FT shooter when he had a game or two making a high %. I'm an elite level poster when I don't **** post.

I would agree XJ has potential like few others currently on the team. He'll be going into his 5th or 6th year of college ball. You would think that elite level would have consistently shown by now. Similar to Troy Williams I believe there are factors non basketball related at play here that lead to the erratic play.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Well yeah, Race was an elite level shooter when he made a few in a row in one game. TJD was an elite level FT shooter when he had a game or two making a high %. I'm an elite level poster when I don't **** post.

I would agree XJ has potential like few others currently on the team. He'll be going into his 5th or 6th year of college ball. You would think that elite level would have consistently shown by now. Similar to Troy Williams I believe there are factors non basketball related at play here that lead to the erratic play.

I think some of it is mental.  He can be very good, but bad things can snowball with him and turn into WTF in a hurry.

2 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Did you even watch the tournament?

Yep. And who of those transfers they talked about were grand slams?  They were put in situations with coaches who took the pieces and made the sum of parts better than the individuals.  It’s a jigsaw puzzle.  

Elite or not, that's just semantics. I look at XJ and say, which Big Ten point guard on another team would you trade XJ for straight up? I'm not completely up to speed on who all is coming back on the other teams, but I'd guess the list of point guards that you trade XJ for in the conference is pretty small. 

On top of that, we weren't even supposed to really have him back. It's almost like a portal win in and of itself. 

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think people have different definitions of "hit it out of the park". 

IMO hitting it out of the park isn't necessarily getting 3 former 5* burger boys that are in the portal. 

To me, Woodson hitting it out of the park would be IU landing 3 of the top 5 or so guys we're targeting. Getting 2 more guard/wing playmakers and scorers that are ready to start and/or play 20mpg.

Its about getting guys that fit what Woodson is trying to do, that help us move to a more perimeter oriented system and fit the culture that's being built. 

Then why all the “woe is us” due to Love?   Dude clearly didn’t fit.  

I know this is portal talk but player development is key to our roster as well.  I have watched IU since the late 70's and have enjoyed seeing players get better the more they stay.  Not just better because they are older but some players make more noticeable jumps.  Felt Trey's shooting improved a ton for this year and I thought TJD became an incredible 3/4 other than the lack of shooting.  

I can see some athletic potential in guys like Gunn and Banks and hope they make a big jump this summer.  If they do, then they are a bigger add than some of the portal guys but if they just marginally improve or stay the same then we need some instant portal starters.

As I look at the team, I wonder who will be our #1 guy to go to when we need clutch buckets.  If that is going to be Malik or even X both need to improve a lot this offseason.  I see a lot of guys who can be pieces, even starters, of a good team but replacing TJD, JHS as our top players will require special players if we want to continue as a top 20 team.  

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Elite or not, that's just semantics. I look at XJ and say, which Big Ten point guard on another team would you trade XJ for straight up? I'm not completely up to speed on who all is coming back on the other teams, but I'd guess the list of point guards that you trade XJ for in the conference is pretty small. 

On top of that, we weren't even supposed to really have him back. It's almost like a portal win in and of itself. 

XJ could be the best PG in the Big 1.o and the worst on consecutive plays. When he's at his best I don't think anyone in the conference is better than him. When he's not...

It's definitely a win to have him back but being arguably the best player on the team has a range of possible outcomes.

2 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

I know this is portal talk but player development is key to our roster as well.  I have watched IU since the late 70's and have enjoyed seeing players get better the more they stay.  Not just better because they are older but some players make more noticeable jumps.  Felt Trey's shooting improved a ton for this year and I thought TJD became an incredible 3/4 other than the lack of shooting.  

I can see some athletic potential in guys like Gunn and Banks and hope they make a big jump this summer.  If they do, then they are a bigger add than some of the portal guys but if they just marginally improve or stay the same then we need some instant portal starters.

As I look at the team, I wonder who will be our #1 guy to go to when we need clutch buckets.  If that is going to be Malik or even X both need to improve a lot this offseason.  I see a lot of guys who can be pieces, even starters, of a good team but replacing TJD, JHS as our top players will require special players if we want to continue as a top 20 team.  

It’s the moneyball rule.  You’re not going to replace them.  There is no one out there like them. You’re going to recreate them with various pieces.  Woodson is going to earn his check this year, that’s for sure. 

6 minutes ago, Golfman25 said:

Then why all the “woe is us” due to Love?   Dude clearly didn’t fit.  

That's why I said people have different definitions. My definition, and many others, of hit it out of the park is what I said in my post. Finding pieces that fit. Getting at least 2 more guard/wings that fit the culture and are multi-skilled playmakers. Also, landing your main targets and not having to go to option 3, 4, 5, etc., to get players. 

Others think we need too land massive recruits from UNC, Kansas, etc., that are former top 30 recruits with ever portal transfer or else it's a failure.

But, not everyone means that when they say "hit it out of the park".