Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Class of '66 Old Fart

(2022) - SG C. J. Gunn to DePaul

On 6/29/2023 at 9:23 PM, 8bucks said:

If you had not listened to the HH podcast with Gunn it is a must.  CJ played against my kids HS team in sectionals a couple years back. It was my first time watching him and I came away less than impressed.  Could not hit anything and seemed to be a hot head when he lost his cool a few times. 

He was probably the best interviewee the HH guys ever had on. Very engaging, even with those idiots, and you just come away wanting him to blow up in the best of ways this year. 

lol

1 hour ago, lillurk said:

Ok, let’s have some off-season fun: better sophomore season, Scoop Bates last year, or CJ next year?

I’ll go with CJ even though I thought Bates came back with a nice spot up jumper. He just wasn’t athletic enough to do much off the dribble. If Gunn can come back with that shot and his athleticism he should find a role. 

7 hours ago, lillurk said:

Ok, let’s have some off-season fun: better sophomore season, Scoop Bates last year, or CJ next year?

What is the measure of the season?  Personally, I don't think Gunn gets as many minutes as Bates had last year.

I’m glad to see there’s some folks on both sides of the debate. My hunch is Gunn will be more effective but in fewer minutes. Bates played almost exactly half of available minutes, and I think/hope with better guard  health, Gunn probably ends up playing about a third of minutes.

Gunn is listed an inch taller, but I would guess he’s at least a neutral or slight positive on defense. I would not have graded Bates out that highly. Gunn’s a better 2 point finisher and a worse FT shooter. So the swing is if the stroke comes around from distance, which I would bet on.

I hope he is good enough to be better than Bates was last year. I think he has the tools to really help us if he can put his game together. I'm rooting for him and believe he could be part of the outside shooting solution.

9 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It seems like C. J. has been getting a lot of press lately.  I hope it's not just smoke and some real fire to back it up.

Almost as soon as the Antonio Reeves rumors were put to rest the media hype train started up.  

I mean, he’s got the Athleticism and framework to be a beast.  Hopefully last season put the extra hunger in to maximize his skill set.  I think realistically he’s another year off but he will be much better this year (can’t be much worse).  Like the kid, the family, and the potential.  We need him.  Here’s to hoping we don’t have guard injuries as we’d get shorthanded in a hurry. 

3 hours ago, Alford Bailey said:

Have not been real high on Gunn but with all the off season chatter  maybe we get a surprise contribution here

The kids always say the right things. The reports are always about how much work they are putting in. But there are only eight or nine kids who get significant playing time. When things get real, we'll find out who has the game. I like CJ a lot and am hoping he will be one of those guys. Ultimately, CMW will make that decision.

7 hours ago, cthomas said:

The kids always say the right things. The reports are always about how much work they are putting in. But there are only eight or nine kids who get significant playing time. When things get real, we'll find out who has the game. I like CJ a lot and am hoping he will be one of those guys. Ultimately, CMW will make that decision.

See I look at it and think CJ is actually making the decision. (I understand what you're saying) 

One thing i like about Gunn is that he probably hunts his shot more and can get that shot off more than guys like Kopp.  Now, I understand that Kopp hits far more of those and plays within the offense more and thus was far more important to the team last year.  Still, guys that can go off script and get a shot, and then hit it at a high rate, are guys that are difficult to guard.  Especially when they get hot.