Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mamasa

IUBB vs Nebraska 12/13 8 pm BTN

NOTES: IU Welcomes Nebraska for Conference Home Opener

Story Links

OPENING TIP
Indiana University is in its 120th season of competition in men's basketball and will host Nebraska in its Big Ten home opener.  The Huskers have won the last three meetings in the series and this will be their first Big Ten game of the season.  None of the players who will suit up against IU have ever played against the Hoosiers.  IU leads the series, 12-7.  IU is coming off a 57-54 win over UConn in Tuesday's Jimmy V Classic in Madison Square Garden.  The Hoosiers dropped its first game in the league, 84-64, Saturday at Wisconsin.  Nebraska is finishing up a six-game stint away from Lincoln and fell 95-76 at Creighton last Saturday.  In this stretch of 24 straight games against high-major opponents, IU will play 11 games against Top 25 opposition and 22 against Top 100 teams according to KenPom.com.

GAME INFORMATION
Friday, Dec. 13 • 8 p.m.
Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall (17,222)
TV: BTN (Kevin Kugler and Shon Morris) | Watch Online
Radio: IU Radio Network (Don Fischer, Errek Suhr, Joe Smith) | TuneIn
Series History: Indiana leads, 12-7
Last Meeting: NEB 66, IU 51; 1/14/19 in Bloomington, Ind.

THE COACHES
Indiana Coach Archie Miller is in his third season of guiding the Cream and Crimson.  He is 183-95 in eight-plus years as a head coach, which includes six years at the University of Dayton.  His Flyer teams made NCAA Tournament appearances in each of his last four seasons, including a trip to the Elite Eight in 2014.  He is 44-32 at IU.  Fred Hoiberg is in his first year at Nebraska after coaching the Chicago Bulls.  In five seasons as the head coach at Iowa State, he was 115-56.

NEWS & NOTES
Freshman Trayce Jackson-Davis is averaging a team-best 14.1 points and 8.5 rebounds.  He leads the team shooting 62.7% from the floor and in blocked shots with 19. He has had 4 double-doubles in 10 games this season.  Among freshmen nationally, he leads the nation in free throws made and attempted, is 3rd in FG% and blocked shots and 8th in rebounding. He has twice been named Big Ten Freshman of the Week.  Senior Devonte Green made his first start of the season against UConn.  He is averaging 13.6 points and shooting a team-best 45.7% long distance.  He scored a career-high 30 points and added 6 rebounds and 3 assists in leading the Hoosiers over Florida State. Junior Justin Smith is averaging 13.2 points and 4.7 rebounds and leads the team in steals with 17.  Junior Aljami Durham had a team-high 17 points against Wisconsin.  He is averaging 12.7 points and is shooting 51.3% from the field and 41.2% from long distance.  Sophomore Rob Phinisee, who has missed five games with various ailments, returned to the lineup Tuesday and had 6 points, 4 rebounds and 2 assists.  Redshirt junior forward Joey Brunk had 9 key second half points to  help IU earn the win in the Jimmy V Classic.

ODDS AND TRENDS
IU leads the nation in free throws made per game at 20.1 and free throws attempted at 28.5 per game.  While no individual scored in double figures against UConn, 10 of the 11 players who played entered the scoring column

Guesses for starting line-up now that they're reasonably healthy? 

I'd recommend: Rob, Al, Smith, TJD & Brunk. Devonte (to my shock) seems to do better coming off the bench. 

I'm hoping for a merciless beat-down. A serious 45 point humiliation. It can't undo the turds IU has delivered against Nebraska since joining the conference, but will still make me feel better. 

Guesses for starting line-up now that they're reasonably healthy? 
I'd recommend: Rob, Al, Smith, TJD & Brunk. Devonte (to my shock) seems to do better coming off the bench. 
I'm hoping for a merciless beat-down. A serious 45 point humiliation. It can't undo the turds IU has delivered against Nebraska since joining the conference, but will still make me feel better. 

I like that starting lineup with Green first guard off the bench. I’m not sure if Phin gets the start though. My guess would be Green starting in place of Phin.

As far as the game plan, I’d like to see Brunk and Jackson-David getting a lot of touches early to beat them up inside. That’ll cause Neb to collapse into the paint and leave Green, Durham, Anderson, and a Phin wide open. I’d love to see Durham get back in a groove.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

TJD and Justin should have big games. They are undersized inside and the only size they have lacks experience. Hopefully IU can feed the ball inside continuously and wear them down/force a bunch of fouls and get to the foul line. 

It is still a conference game and anything can happen. But it would be nice to see IU blow them out and not have to sweat it. 

TJD and Justin should have big games. They are undersized inside and the only size they have lacks experience. Hopefully IU can feed the ball inside continuously and wear them down/force a bunch of fouls and get to the foul line. 
It is still a conference game and anything can happen. But it would be nice to see IU blow them out and not have to sweat it. 

I would expect a Nebraska defense collapsing in the paint to force us outside. Pretty common theme amongst teams against us.

As for starters, I will go with:

Brunk, Trace, Smith, Green, and Al. Miller likes sticking with his starters so I don’t see that changing from UConn. However, I do like Green off the bench.

I’d like to see:

Phin if healthy enough

Al

Smith

TJD

Brunk

Guards

1. Green 2. Franklin only if one of the 3 guards are playing poorly.

Wings

1. Hunter 2. Damezi

Bigs

1. DeRon give him first chance. 2. Race- I’m not as impressed as others with Race. Or DeRon. Our backup bigs are underwhelming.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’d like to see:

Phin if healthy enough
Al
Smith
TJD
Brunk

Guards
1. Green 2. Franklin only if one of the 3 guards are playing poorly.

Wings
1. Hunter 2. Damezi

Bigs

1. DeRon give him first chance. 2. Race- I’m not as impressed as others with Race. Or DeRon. Our backup bigs are underwhelming.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I’d like to see Race be a little more aggressive. He seems to catch the ball and quickly look for a pass. If he has a mismatch I’d like to see him go to the post.

I’d like to see Race be a little more aggressive. He seems to catch the ball and quickly look for a pass. If he has a mismatch I’d like to see him go to the post.

To me, he seems clumsy with the ball. Catching, passing, dribbling. He rebounds well. That’s his strength now. Offensively, he’s a non factor.