Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

ThompsonHoosier

Indiana vs Iowa Game Thread 10/13 12:00PM ESPN2

1 minute ago, Old Friend said:

Am I defending him?   I just don't think we're very good.  But he's not the one who misses open receivers and quickly elects to check down.  He's not the one making the wrong read on seemingly every RPO.  He's not the one whose throws take an extra second to get there.  He's not the one who can't throw a receiver open.  He's not the one who's now missing even short throws.    

You've consistently defended DeBord game after game, despite his play calling. You always bring up his "record breaking offense" at Tennessee, but haven't lately after Brass Cannon showed that it wasn't that impressive. 

Ramsey completed 74% of his passes today. He's an average quarterback who's forced to throw 40+ times a game because IU has no running game. 29 yards against Michigan State, 84 yards against Ohio State, and 67 yards today against Iowa. Ramsey is an adequate quarterback if your team has a balanced attack but he's having to throw it way more than he should. Then, there are the defensive woes. IU has given up 12 passing touchdowns and almost 1000 yards in the past two games. But sure, it's Ramsey's fault. 

Purdue will beat us soundly this year and probably going forward unless they lose their coach. (This is not a new thought for me as I knew we were overrated and they were underrated but as time passes everyone will see)

Indiana has some solid recruiting momentum going but as good as it is, the honest truth is it’s still ONLY 10th in the B1G.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

38 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You've consistently defended DeBord game after game, despite his play calling. You always bring up his "record breaking offense" at Tennessee, but haven't lately after Brass Cannon showed that it wasn't that impressive. 

Ramsey completed 74% of his passes today. He's an average quarterback who's forced to throw 40+ times a game because IU has no running game. 29 yards against Michigan State, 84 yards against Ohio State, and 67 yards today against Iowa. Ramsey is an adequate quarterback if your team has a balanced attack but he's having to throw it way more than he should. Then, there are the defensive woes. IU has given up 12 passing touchdowns and almost 1000 yards in the past two games. But sure, it's Ramsey's fault. 

This (in bold) is the most meaningless stat in sports.  Not sure why you think that matters given he's either last or next to last in the Big Ten in yards per attempt.

I've defended DeBord because he has a resume that warrants it.  And I still say his play calling is limited because Ramsey is not a good QB.   Being there live, I saw WR's running open and Ramsey throwing to check downs.  So he completes a 3 yard pass instead of a 25 yard pass.  Time after time.  Laughable.  

(I also laugh at "always bring it up," except lately.  Contradictions entertain me.)  His offense set records at Tennessee.  That's a fact.  Who else does IU get?  We had Cam Cameron, and even he never won more than 5 games here.  Kevin Wilson was just fine, but some people didn't like his personality, so he's gone.  Who's coming to IU better than DeBord?  You can b*tch, but do you have a solution?  I watched Ramsey today specifically.  He was terrible.  Godawful.  Even my teenaged boys noticed.  (And it's the same 3-4 of you who consistently defend him, so I know I'm talking to a wall)

The defensive woes have nothing to do with the Ramsey discussion.  He's not adequate.  He is below average, he makes consistently poor decisions, he is inaccurate (and yes, despite his completion %; he completed at least 5 balls today which were soft throws or behind receivers which went for little gain because the throws were poor); and he still cannot hit tight windows, see the field well, or throw it down the field consistently well.   

And your last sentence....  When did I say "it's Ramsey's fault?"   I'll wait while you find that somewhere.  Or maybe you're creating an argument so you can make points against it?   Well done.  

This seems to be another lost year. I really thought he would at least give Iowa a fight and Mich St. is getting beat up by everyone but us. This is only year two of Coach Allen but if he does not bring in a decent QB next year (hopefully Penix is the answer) I will start wondering if he is the right guy for the job and if a switch is needed. I also hope he cans Debord. I don't care what the guy did at Tennessee. There are plenty examples of coordinators that had success at one place and flopped elsewhere. Ramsey is limited but I don't think our OC always plays to the teams strengths. And another 4-5 win season imo warrants some change among the coaching staff. 

2 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

This (in bold) is the most meaningless stat in sports.  Not sure why you think that matters given he's either last or next to last in the Big Ten in yards per attempt.

I've defended DeBord because he has a resume that warrants it.  And I still say his play calling is limited because Ramsey is not a good QB.   Being there live, I saw WR's running open and Ramsey throwing to check downs.  So he completes a 3 yard pass instead of a 25 yard pass.  Time after time.  Laughable.  

(I also laugh at "always bring it up," except lately.  Contradictions entertain me.)  His offense set records at Tennessee.  That's a fact.  Who else does IU get?  We had Cam Cameron, and even he never won more than 5 games here.  Kevin Wilson was just fine, but some people didn't like his personality, so he's gone.  Who's coming to IU better than DeBord?  You can b*tch, but do you have a solution?  I watched Ramsey today specifically.  He was terrible.  Godawful.  Even my teenaged boys noticed.  (And it's the same 3-4 of you who consistently defend him, so I know I'm talking to a wall)

The defensive woes have nothing to do with the Ramsey discussion.  He's not adequate.  He is below average, he makes consistently poor decisions, he is inaccurate (and yes, despite his completion %; he completed at least 5 balls today which were soft throws or behind receivers which went for little gain because the throws were poor); and he still cannot hit tight windows, see the field well, or throw it down the field consistently well.   

It's already been explained to you that his offense "set records" while not being one of he best in the nation. It was more of a result of offenses as a whole putting up bigger numbers than anything he was doing. He also had an NFL quarterback and an NFL running back. 

You've had it out for Ramsey ever since he took the job from Lagow last year. Through 7 games he's thrown for 1,624 yards, completed 68% of his passes and thrown 12 touchdowns to 7 interceptions. He threw for 300+ yards and 3 touchdowns last week against Ohio State. A below average qb doesn't do that against the #3 team in the country. Ramsey hasn't cost IU any games this season.

I was at the game today and Ramsey is that guy that can win if you can run and play D. On his own, he is not someone that makes it difficult on opposing Ds.

He did often miss the open receivers to throw to the contested guy. His % would be even higher had he made better reads and those open guys would have then gotten first downs instead of a 5 yard catch.

That being said, I am not sure what was going on with our bench and coaches today but they were getting warned and penalized often today. We had a few penalties like that one on the kickoff where we tackled Iowa inside their 10 only to be offsides. Poor leadership today and that hurt us.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

28 minutes ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

This seems to be another lost year. I really thought he would at least give Iowa a fight and Mich St. is getting beat up by everyone but us. This is only year two of Coach Allen but if he does not bring in a decent QB next year (hopefully Penix is the answer) I will start wondering if he is the right guy for the job and if a switch is needed. I also hope he cans Debord. I don't care what the guy did at Tennessee. There are plenty examples of coordinators that had success at one place and flopped elsewhere. Ramsey is limited but I don't think our OC always plays to the teams strengths. And another 4-5 win season imo warrants some change among the coaching staff. 

This post makes me smile.  I feel like this illustrates the middle between one staunch side and the other that gets all dramatic.  This post is spot on.

1 hour ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

Um, whoops. Spoke too soon

2 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

You gotta be a DeBord burner account to still be defending him. Dude needs to retire immediately. He is a trash offensive coordinator. 

Hey, DeBord had Dobbs and Kamara that one year.  He just needs those two to walk through the door...to play for IU.....easy enough...

49 minutes ago, Iugradman said:

Ramsey threw a terrible interception in the endzone that essentially ended the game when IU was trying to mount a comeback. 7 interceptions at this point in the season is terrible. He can’t stretch the field at all. No decent WR wants to play for IU with Ramsey at QB.

Who cares about yardage? IU scored 16 points today. SIXTEEN.

And they gave up 6 passing touchdowns. For the second week in a row.

You have no idea who wants to play with Ramsey and who doesn't. 7 interceptions in 7 games isn't terrible. Tom Brady has 6 interceptions in 5 games this year. Is he terrible?

Yeah, Ramsey threw a bad interception. Before he threw it he was 8/8 for 64 yards on that drive. The only reason IU was mounting a comeback in the first place was because of him. 

We are who we are. We are having one of our better recruiting efforts this year and the experts still think 9 other teams in the conference are doing better. When you consistently recruit in the bottom third, that's where you stay. 

9 hours ago, azguybob said:

IU FB...never changes....

That's exactly right except for those occasional hiccups for which we immediately find a cure and return to mediocrity (or even sub-mediocrity).  The link below is 120 years of IU football.  Take a good look at just how few years we've ever had a winning record.  It's not Fred Glass, it's not Tom Allen, it's not McRobbie, it's just Indiana football.  

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/indiana/index.html

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

That's exactly right except for those occasional hiccups for which we immediately find a cure and return to mediocrity (or even sub-mediocrity).  The link below is 120 years of IU football.  Take a good look at just how few years we've ever had a winning record.  It's not Fred Glass, it's not Tom Allen, it's not McRobbie, it's just Indiana football.  

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/indiana/index.html

It’s hard to imagine 87-88 two years of 8 win seasons are the best back to back seasons ever. And I was there. Also, hard to believe it was our last NC in basketball. Hopefully, that changes soon.

There were plenty of empty seats today, and IU practically gives football seats away.

McRobbie specials! Nothing will change till he is GONE! Well, you all know my opinion of that DB so!

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app