Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

mdn82

Three Year Rebuild?

Honestly, given that Archie was only on the job a short time, he got a heck of a class. I am pretty sure you even said that.

I think many were feeling pretty good and then we started to feel giddy when we thought we might get DG.

Eventually we will need to bring in 5 star kids but I can't fathom even being worried about that yet. I spent the last several years arguing for a change and understand that perspective but my goodness some of you seem to get to panic mode very quick.

Right now we should enjoy that we got our change and let Arch have some time to right the ship. I have no worries about years 1 or 2 and am far more interested in years 3-10.

Dilly Dilly

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yep. Agree. Hence this thread. Prepare for third year. I think we will get there with a stud or 2 in '19. I'm reasonable about it, but much of the fanbase will panic next year if results are similar.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Honestly, given that Archie was only on the job a short time, he got a heck of a class. I am pretty sure you even said that.

I think many were feeling pretty good and then we started to feel giddy when we thought we might get DG.

Eventually we will need to bring in 5 star kids but I can't fathom even being worried about that yet. I spent the last several years arguing for a change and understand that perspective but my goodness some of you seem to get to panic mode very quick.

Right now we should enjoy that we got our change and let Arch have some time to right the ship. I have no worries about years 1 or 2 and am far more interested in years 3-10.

Dilly Dilly

Dilly Dilly

Dilly Dilly

We live in era of instant gratification.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

If we don't get Romeo, we miss out on a terrific player.....for one season.  

I mean, I love Eric Gordon and all, but it's not like he changed the landscape of Indiana basketball.  And when Crean did get this program to the #1 ranking, it wasn't on any one and dones.

Yep. Agree. Hence this thread. Prepare for third year. I think we will get there with a stud or 2 in '19. I'm reasonable about it, but much of the fanbase will panic next year if results are similar.

This is where I disagree. I highly doubt the fan base will start panicking next year. When you go to the games people are far more pleased with the brand of basketball than the wins and losses. People understand fundamentals and what he is trying to teach. The old timers are please now. I feel very few will panic. The people that will panic next year are the people that are panicking now. It’s just their personality, but it is far from the majority. If we got to year 3 and things are bleak of making the tournament? Then people will panic. But I feel next year we will be in the tournament. So I think it’s a moot point.

I've been on the three year plan from the start, mostly because of the things I've heard CAM say. Given the way this offense gets inside, imagine how good we will look when we have shooters who can knock down threes.

Exactly! It's not like we're having all our outside shots contested. We just can't knockdown open looks.

Two of the biggest reasons we're losing right now. (Minus the mental part of the game but CAM and Co. will get that fixed) is giving up open looks and not shooting a high percentage with open looks.

The "foundation" class will fix these issues along with Smith, Durham, and Moore developing. Durham, Anderson, Hunter, and Smith closing out to shooters will look a lot different than Newkirk and Johnson.

A true point developed by CAM will also run the squad better than a few guards trying to switch from run and gun it doesn't matter if you turn it over 20 times a game or take terrible shots to good ball and player movement looking for a great shot.

It will take time, two years, three years? I'm not sure but CAM will get it done at IU.

1 hour ago, coonhounds said:

I predict we win tomorrow and start the build the rest of this season make the tournament and put this thread to rest

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

I think we play well but I'd bet you Brey has had this game circled on his calender all year.  He will have the Irish playing its best game of the year unfortunately. 

I think we play well but I'd bet you Brey has had this game circled on his calender all year.  He will have the Irish playing its best game of the year unfortunately. 

Good would hate for them to have a excuse after we beat them

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

On IU’s 15 turnovers in that game: “Probably four happened in the last few minutes and a couple were pick-sixes. Realistically, we probably played 38 minutes under 12, 13 turnovers. We had a couple at the end that weren’t very good. That’s where it’s gonna have to come to grips with our guards. Those guys have to step up and understand that the last four minutes, there’s nothing more important than taking care of the ball. Not running our offense has been costing us some games, not playing well down the stretch.” - CAM

On IU’s ability to reduce turnovers this season: “I think there’s an emphasis every day in practice. There’s a penalty for turning the ball over. We only give our (players) seven turnovers a practice per team, red and white, then they gotta run. You’re putting pressure on them daily to do it. … The other thing is just understanding how we want to play — what’s a good shot, what’s a good read?” - CAM

It never gets old hearing these type of quotes. I guess after 8 years of "coach speak" I can't get enough of on the point analysis and accountability of what needs to be changed to win. 

This is where I disagree. I highly doubt the fan base will start panicking next year. When you go to the games people are far more pleased with the brand of basketball than the wins and losses. People understand fundamentals and what he is trying to teach. The old timers are please now. I feel very few will panic. The people that will panic next year are the people that are panicking now. It’s just their personality, but it is far from the majority. If we got to year 3 and things are bleak of making the tournament? Then people will panic. But I feel next year we will be in the tournament. So I think it’s a moot point.

I agree as well. There are a few posters on here, and I am sure they represent a portion of the fan base, that are already in that worry mode but I don't think that is a big number overall.

Folks are cool now, we are generally seeing things that take time to yield results on the court but seem to be building a culture we have wanted. Defense is a good example. It is hard to switch from where we were to a defensively strong team overnight. But we are seeing the focus turn. Another is with turnovers or dumb shots. Our TOs are way down already and if you make a dumb TO or shot you come out.

As we see those things we trade them now for wins because we believe those will yield the future results we want. One year guys may not be attracted to that initially either and I am ok trading long term success to build it the right way that means we lose out on some guys over the next couple years.

If we end up last in the BT this year and in the bottom 3 next year then we can have concerns but if we compete and find our way to the middle of the pack and we see improvement as the year goes on folks won't panic they will rejoice and say Dilly Dilly!

So if you are in a panic mode or think some guy is a must get, just sit back, think about IU a couple years down the road and keep telling yourself Dilly Dilly and you will feel much better.

11 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

They panicked in the first game of the season.... It's really easy to see why other fan bases can't stand ours and it's not because they're peanut butter and jealous.