Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Stuhoo

Corruption in College Basketball

I was reading a bit on RR yesterday and the UK fans are pounding their chests about being above board.  Now, I understand this is typical fan behavior but some of their reasoning is laughable.  My favorite is that only the other schools have to cheat (presumably out of desperation) trying to keep up with Cal's prowess. Wow.

It’s like they ignore the fact that Cal is a notorious cheater who has been caught multiple times.

40 minutes ago, Tom White said:

That is the type of statement that always worries me a bit. If you are not involved, and there has been not even a hint of you being involved, then why do you feel compelled to say anything at all?

I imagine it was direct question posed to someone; whether to Jeremy Gray or otherwise. The alternative  "no comment" probably would make us all even more uneasy.

6 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

This, I think, is what is finally going to push the ball over the top of the hill regarding paying college athletes, as in legally like a "salary"

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

If you paid college athletes the vast majority would come out no better than they do getting a scholarship. 

This, I think, is what is finally going to push the ball over the top of the hill regarding paying college athletes, as in legally like a "salary"

Wouldn't fix anything, you'd have to make it a fixed salary so there wouldn't be a bidding war, and then coaches would still just spend more for players.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

6 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

I don't see how that would help clean up the sport. It would likely be a number set by the NCAA or some other sanctioning body that would apply to all schools within a division. From there the bidding war begins with all the usual suspects. What we end up with is the NBA junior division. This may be broken beyond repair.

Wouldn't fix anything, you'd have to make it a fixed salary so there wouldn't be a bidding war, and then coaches would still just spend more for players.

I don't know if it will fix anything I'm not saying it will. But as much push there has been from that in the past I really think that this will tilt things in the players favor as far as getting paid, legally.

I don't know how they would do it or if there is a correct way. Just saying imo I think in the next few years we will starting seeing "professional" college sports.

54 minutes ago, Dalton26 said:

Recruiting and Coaching.

You'll probably throw out names like Cody and Vic but there are just as many guys that should've been D2 or D3 that ended up at IU. Coaching wise he was god awful I'm not even sure if anyone can even attempt to argue that.

There are 3 major parts of coaching. Recruiting, Coaching, and doing it the right way. 1/3 isnt good especially when youre being paid as much as Crean was. If I only did a fraction of my job I would be fired not given a pat on the back like some of you all are wanting to do.

Edit: I'm truly dumbfounded by this participation trophy mentality that most have on here.

I think you could argue he was doing 2/3 of his job. Since doing it the right way hindered his recruiting. 

But I agree. If he had been at least a decent coach in game I might give him a pass 

26 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

Just let them get apparel deals, shoe deals etc. and let other athletes in other sports that don't garner the attention and athletes that simply don't have the pull as the big names be able to have jobs and earn some money.  To me this whole thing is very simple.  My conspiracy theory is that the NCAA knows that these kids can get paid legally if they want to change the rules, and it would be very easy, but someone in the organization is involved with the deals that are currently going on and are making a lot more cream than they would if they split the cut. 

I'm truly dumbfounded by your stance. The point that has been made is, "Holy crap, you mean Crean brought Indiana back from the Sampson era, brought in some top recruiting classes, sent five or so players to the NBA, made it to three Sweet Sixteens, and won the B1G outright twice, while remaining clean even though he was losing games and recruits to guys paying players and cheating by any means necessary?!"
No one has said, "Wow, in light of all this, Crean is probably the best coach we've ever had, and he fulfilled all of our goals as a fanbase."

How many years did crean coach to get to those three sweet sixteens? Those outright titles? Is he the one you believed would get us to the next step? Did IU have good fundamental basketball teams for the most part? Did he make good in-game adjustments after his pregame planning fall apart? How did they do against Syracuse? Wisconsin? The questions can go on and on...it has been established he brought the program back to where we are now. The consensus, I have always believed, is that what he did at the end just wasn't good enough. There are plenty of teams that didn't buy players and got comparably better results from their coaches. I'm kinda surprised by your stance

Sent from my LG-H900 using BtownBanners mobile app

Pretty spot on. The posts about taking it easy on him because he was clean is my issue because no one has ever said a bad thing about how he ran his program in regards to the rules. To want to take it easy on him because of that doesn’t make any sense when the reason he got fired and most dislike him has nothing to do with that.

I don’t like Crean as a coach or as a person(based on a personal experience which we have hashed out a million times so I’m not going down that road again). But I do absolutely and unquestionable respect him running a clean program, but that doesn’t pardon the other things.

I've never read a post that said he should be pardoned for the other things and I've read every post. They are just saying we should be glad he didn't play the recruiting game like Louisville.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

On another note I don’t feel sorry for the programs, coaches, players, or families involved in this but I feel horrible for the student athletes on these teams that have done it the right way. The kids who didn’t take money and busted their butts practicing and in the classroom are going to take the fall for the bad apples around them. I hope the NCAA will allow them to transfer and not sit out a season.

I agree

Sent from my SM-G930V using BtownBanners mobile app

The one-and-done wheels of capitalism is rolling through the NCAA.  And at the CFB level the money train is even bigger. 

I read a column back in 2011, I can't remember who wrote it, but it was basically about the big dogs being big dogs and it's time to understand that.  It's not going to change.  The writer proposed that the NCAA should also recognize it and change the rule book to about 50 pages instead of the current 430+ page book it is.  It covered topics like having licensed NCAA affiliated agents for the athletes.  It covered topics like the NCAA knowing the dollar amount going to athlete.  It covered things like jersey sell percentages going to the athlete.  I covered things like unlimited text messaging and phone calls.  It wasn't perfect but it was practical.  I'll have to search the interwebs and see if I can find it.  

Edit:  Found it.  

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/07/27/new-rules

Edited by Lebowski