Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2019) PF Trayce Jackson-Davis to INDIANA

10 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Didn’t 007 say the staff was very confident in getting Darius Garland all the way up till they didn’t? That alone gives me pause but trying to overrule myself on that hesitation

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Pretty sure he was 50/50 

16 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

The point of my post is not to assess the staff's relative confidence by their words or what insiders are hearing. It's the staff's actions; the apparent lack of their pursuit of another big, that draws me to the conclusion that they fully expect a high-level big to commit.

That's a level of "in Archie we trust" that I just can't reach.

We pursued a bevy of guards over the summer, seemingly handing out a new offer every week. Yet the only targets we were ever able to bring on campus were the two in-state recruits. At this point you could also say the staff is no longer pursuing any guards, but the explanation isn't that they stopped trying, or because the staff ever felt confident or satisfied with landing only Armaan Franklin. It's that the staff struck out.

As for bigs, there actually several targets still on the board. Matthew Hurt mentions us in his core seven, Isaiah Stewart in his final six. Trendon Watford is planning an official visit for the Louisville game. I agree we don't seem to have a great shot at any, but I don't believe it's for lack of trying; we're still in pursuit. No doubt we are prioritizing the targets with whom we feel we have the best shot, and that's where you see the most recruiting effort, but reading Trayce and Keion as locks because of it, rather than just our best remaining options, is a bridge too far for me to cross.

12 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

IDK, we've seemingly slow danced Watford to the point I really don't think he's ever destined for B'town.

Isn't he scheduling an official visit for the Louisville game? That's gotta mean something.

I think fans are the one slow dancing. The staff doesn't talk about the recruits any, it's the fans and media that drive the urgency. Brooks and TJD are local and we get more local reports, but each article is 99% rehashed and 1% nothing important, but it makes it seem like they are constantly "around" when they really aren't.

I've been hearing some variation on this since last January, so I'd say that time has come and gone.

But did we really think a kid who, in the middle of his junior year that was really beginning to shine with 5 star talent, would just pop for IU without even testing what was out there?

Yes, we have heard since then he’s a heavy IU lean, but as far as the timing of an imminent commitment I don’t feel that was the case back then. At least not realistically.

Isn't he scheduling an official visit for the Louisville game? That's gotta mean something.
I think fans are the one slow dancing. The staff doesn't talk about the recruits any, it's the fans and media that drive the urgency. Brooks and TJD are local and we get more local reports, but each article is 99% rehashed and 1% nothing important, but it makes it seem like they are constantly "around" when they really aren't.

Yes that is his official visit date.

I think the staff is really trying to sell to Brooks that if he comes to IU, he will playing the 2 spot. Hence the lack of urgency on getting a guard. Brooks is going to LL because he wants to play a guard. He plays a guard in AAU. He wants to go pro. At his size, his best bet to make it is to convert to a guard. If I was IU (especially after seeing it in AAU), I would be fine not getting any guards and showing Brooks that he will come in and play the 2.

We would have a senior Greene or a sophomore Phinese at the 1. Probably Smith at the 3. Hopefully TJD at the 4. And either a high level recruit or DD at the 5.

This is all my very uneducated and outside opinion though.

2 hours ago, Maedhros said:

That's a level of "in Archie we trust" that I just can't reach.

We pursued a bevy of guards over the summer, seemingly handing out a new offer every week. Yet the only targets we were ever able to bring on campus were the two in-state recruits. At this point you could also say the staff is no longer pursuing any guards, but the explanation isn't that they stopped trying, or because the staff ever felt confident or satisfied with landing only Armaan Franklin. It's that the staff struck out.

As for bigs, there actually several targets still on the board. Matthew Hurt mentions us in his core seven, Isaiah Stewart in his final six. Trendon Watford is planning an official visit for the Louisville game. I agree we don't seem to have a great shot at any, but I don't believe it's for lack of trying; we're still in pursuit. No doubt we are prioritizing the targets with whom we feel we have the best shot, and that's where you see the most recruiting effort, but reading Trayce and Keion as locks because of it, rather than just our best remaining options, is a bridge too far for me to cross.

Not trying to "in Archie we trust" you, but the timeline is telling. Brooks and TJD were always the main priorities, while Archie has also kept varying degrees of touch with Stewart, Hurt and Watford. Then this summer he did hand out the guard schollies a little bit like candy with Franklin, Newman, Bouknight, Harris, Ramsey, Leque, etc. 

But, once it began coming clear that Franklin was going to commit, almost all connection with IU and those other guards died down. I might be giving the staff too much confidence, but seems to me they always wanted TJD, Brooks, and a guard in the Fall, and then the Watford, Hurt, Steward group is Spring gravy is there's room. 

It's telling to me that there really are no backup plans (kids in the 50-150 range) for TJD and Brooks right now for the Fall period. 

56 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not trying to "in Archie we trust" you, but the timeline is telling. Brooks and TJD were always the main priorities, while Archie has also kept varying degrees of touch with Stewart, Hurt and Watford. Then this summer he did hand out the guard schollies a little bit like candy with Franklin, Newman, Bouknight, Harris, Ramsey, Leque, etc. 

But, once it began coming clear that Franklin was going to commit, almost all connection with IU and those other guards died down. I might be giving the staff too much confidence, but seems to me they always wanted TJD, Brooks, and a guard in the Fall, and then the Watford, Hurt, Steward group is Spring gravy is there's room. 

It's telling to me that there really are no backup plans (kids in the 50-150 range) for TJD and Brooks right now for the Fall period. 

We can't truly know what's happening between a recruit and the staff, but Franklin was considered a Xavier lean, then a Purdue lean, and wasn't thought of as a possibility for Indiana until on or after his OV on August 25. Bouknight and Harris had already set up official visits well before then, and skipped Bloomington. Jalen Lecque, Tre Mann and DJ Carton had already officially eliminated us. Given the timeline, the only guard target we perhaps backed off from was Jahmius Ramsey.

As for bigs, our most recent offer didn't go out to a guard, it went to Kadin Shedrick in August, a 6-11 C ranked 63 in the 247 Composite, exactly the profile you offer of a backup target. He's no longer on the board because he committed to Virginia.

I'm probably dragging this point out further than is necessary, and I absolutely hope Trayce and Keion commit to Indiana every bit as much as I'm sure you do. It just strikes me as overly optimistic, if not a touch naive, to believe the staff intentionally has no backup plan by design. No matter how confident they may be. The simplest explanation is they've just missed. Bill Self once said if you're not hearing "no" more often than you're hearing "yes" on the recruiting trail, then you're targeting the wrong players. Until this is over, it's not too late for Trayce or Keion to say "no" to Archie as well. And so we wait.

This why I’m confident all the message board chatter on TJD and Brooks will come to fruition, because it appears that Archie has backed off of any sort of back-up plans.  
Except nothing is ever guaranteed in recruiting. Things can change fast sometimes. Seems risky imo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Yep he was going to commit within a few weeks of his visit. It was a done deal per Hoosier guy.

Didn’t 007 say the staff was very confident in getting Darius Garland all the way up till they didn’t? That alone gives me pause but trying to overrule myself on that hesitation

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

We can't truly know what's happening between a recruit and the staff, but Franklin was considered a Xavier lean, then a Purdue lean, and wasn't thought of as a possibility for Indiana until on or after his OV on August 25. Bouknight and Harris had already set up official visits well before then, and skipped Bloomington. Jalen Lecque, Tre Mann and DJ Carton had already officially eliminated us. Given the timeline, the only guard target we perhaps backed off from was Jahmius Ramsey.

As for bigs, our most recent offer didn't go out to a guard, it went to Kadin Shedrick in August, a 6-11 C ranked 63 in the 247 Composite, exactly the profile you offer of a backup target. He's no longer on the board because he committed to Virginia.

I'm probably dragging this point out further than is necessary, and I absolutely hope Trayce and Keion commit to Indiana every bit as much as I'm sure you do. It just strikes me as overly optimistic, if not a touch naive, to believe the staff intentionally has no backup plan by design. No matter how confident they may be. The simplest explanation is they've just missed. Bill Self once said if you're not hearing "no" more often than you're hearing "yes" on the recruiting trail, then you're targeting the wrong players. Until this is over, it's not too late for Trayce or Keion to say "no" to Archie as well. And so we wait.

I think self ment to say then your not paying the players enough but i get what you are saying

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Elizabeth Kubler-Ross published her 5 Stages of Grief many years ago.  Methinks we need something similar to get us through recruitments.

1. Excitement
2. Frustration from lack of commits by the summer session.
3. Renewed optimism when the OV happens.
4. Renewed skepticism when said player doesn’t commit right after OV.
5. Justifications of personal beliefs and posts after player commits wherever.

Rinse and repeat every year like a broken record.

Personally I am down for a board friendly wage we get TJD if anyone is feeling that pessimistic. And for those that knew me during the Scout days the last bet I made was for Kelsey Barlow vs Victor Oladipo. I don’t bet often.

5 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

1. Excitement
2. Frustration from lack of commits by the summer session.
3. Renewed optimism when the OV happens.  Hoosier Guy says it's a done deal.
4. Renewed skepticism when said player doesn’t commit right after OV. they see the drop ceilings.
5. Justifications of personal beliefs and posts after player commits wherever. 

Maybe a couple of slight modifications?

The 5 stages of a recruitment 
Stage 1: Intrigue - Kid could/would be great in our system.
Stage 2: Confusion - Why is kid doing X
Stage 3: Defeat - He hasn’t committed yet. He must hate us 
Stage 4: Frustration - Why is he dragging this on OMG
Stage 5: Elation or Acceptance - Hes committed to IU or the University of not Indiana
I never worry about number 4

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk