Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

goonaha

(2019) PF Matthew Hurt to Duke

4 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

This was in the minneapolis paper today. Seems we have a shot.

Over the weekend, Hurt told USA Today in Colorado he’s interested to see the way Indiana uses former McDonald’s All-American guard Romeo Langford this season.

"I'm pretty sure he's one-and-done," Hurt said in the article. "I just want to see how they develop him. What they do for him is key for me."

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I would like to land Hurt, and that makes it sound like we have a shot, but I don't like the actual quote. Not 1 bit.

23 minutes ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

I would like to land Hurt, and that makes it sound like we have a shot, but I don't like the actual quote. Not 1 bit.

I'm with you on that. I know kids today want the fast track to the NBA, but I'm looking for team oriented kids who want to be a part of something special while in college. Unless I missed something, college basketball is still a team sport.

1 hour ago, cthomas said:

I'm with you on that. I know kids today want the fast track to the NBA, but I'm looking for team oriented kids who want to be a part of something special while in college. Unless I missed something, college basketball is still a team sport.

And if takes us treating Romeo like Trae Young, to the detriment of the team, I don't want to land Hurt or anyone else like that.

35 minutes ago, mookied39 said:

Not sure we can make that jump here.   That seems like a stretch.  Maybe he just wants to see how Romeo develops instead of how he is allowed to do his thing to the detriment of the team.  

Could be. I based my thought on his entire quote and it just didn't sit right. It sounded a little different than the way others have talked about development.

Besides, what's the development of a 2 guard going to show a big? Maybe he should watch what's happened to Juwan the last couple years under Archie. 

Could be. I based my thought on his entire quote and it just didn't sit right. It sounded a little different than the way others have talked about development.
Besides, what's the development of a 2 guard going to show a big? Maybe he should watch what's happened to Juwan the last couple years under Archie. 

May have more to do with how a top 10 kid does in our system than a particular position.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

10 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

Yeah, I would think he would look at Juwans development a lot closer than he would Langford’s.

I'll be honest. I was a little surprised (pleasantly) at how well Juwan did last year. I thought he could be a good player but not to the magnitude he showed. I've  also been a little a little surprised that this hasn't been touted a little more as a feather in Archie's cap. 

I'll be honest. I was a little surprised (pleasantly) at how well Juwan did last year. I thought he could be a good player but not to the magnitude he showed. I've  also been a little a little surprised that this hasn't been touted a little more as a feather in Archie's cap. 

Yes, me too. I think Archie needs to capitalize on Juwan and his development as much as he can this recruiting cycle and next while he is still known in the college game. A few years from now he likely won’t have the same brand recognition as he doesn’t exactly translate as well to the nba game and that isn’t a knock on Juwan or Archie, he is an undersized big

5 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

He said develop; not use. Why would Juwan be a better comparison when he's a four year player? I don't get why it's such a bad thing for a one and done to want to see how a coach develops his first one and done. 

33 minutes ago, goonaha said:

He said develop; not use. Why would Juwan be a better comparison when he's a four year player? I don't get why it's such a bad thing for a one and done to want to see how a coach develops his first one and done. 

"see what he does FOR him." Was what I didn't like. Seemed like it was "How he sets him up to make plays, be a star and maintain his lottery value" not how Romeo improves and how well the team does. 

Hell, I'd be more impressed with IU and Miller, if Race comes out and averages 10 and 6, rather than Romeo getting 20 ppg..

"see what he does FOR him." Was what I didn't like. Seemed like it was "How he sets him up to make plays, be a star and maintain his lottery value" not how Romeo improves and how well the team does. 

Hell, I'd be more impressed with IU and Miller, if Race comes out and averages 10 and 6, rather than Romeo getting 20 ppg..

As a fan? Sure. But one is gonna get paid. That is what the 17 year old worries about it and I can’t blame him. That’s why kids go to college. To make the most money possible. But even as a fan the 20 ppg will win more games than 10 and 6. If Race did that? That would be fantastic. You need those players. But you also need a star to win. In modern NCAA it’s just the way it is.

27 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

As a fan? Sure. But one is gonna get paid. That is what the 17 year old worries about it and I can’t blame him. That’s why kids go to college. To make the most money possible. But even as a fan the 20 ppg will win more games than 10 and 6. If Race did that? That would be fantastic. You need those players. But you also need a star to win. In modern NCAA it’s just the way it is.

We had that with Bracey Wright. Didn't win big. We had that with AJ Guyton. Didn't win big.

I'm not saying that what Hurt meant, it's just how he said it, it sounded different. Not blaming him, I just wouldn't want a kid who felt that way. 

I need to find the article I read. The quote was longer than the indystar story. 

7 hours ago, HoosierHoops1 said:

We had that with Bracey Wright. Didn't win big. We had that with AJ Guyton. Didn't win big.

I'm not saying that what Hurt meant, it's just how he said it, it sounded different. Not blaming him, I just wouldn't want a kid who felt that way. 

I need to find the article I read. The quote was longer than the indystar story. 

Are you comparing Bracey to Romeo......did you just do that?  No way right.  And while AJ was a great Hoosier.....he was a 4 year player who had a cup of coffee in the NBA.  Come on.  Last superstar we had on the level of Romeo was maybe Jay Edwards?  Maybe Cody?  Zeke may be the best comparison in all actuality, how did that work out?  

2 minutes ago, mookied39 said:

Are you comparing Bracey to Romeo......did you just do that?  No way right.  And while AJ was a great Hoosier.....he was a 4 year player who had a cup of coffee in the NBA.  Come on.  Last superstar we had on the level of Romeo was maybe Jay Edwards?  Maybe Cody?  Zeke may be the best comparison in all actuality, how did that work out?  

Nope. I addressed the quoted comment and I compared a 20 ppg scorer on a team, that had little success.

My comment had nothing to do with Romeo.

Yes, Zeke worked out very well, but he wasnt one and done, maybe Isiah staying a 2nd year for a title cost us a recruit like Hurt? I'll take it.