Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

I am not a fan of Purdue's offense, but their D is stellar. I truly like what Butler does at both ends of the court. A big part of that is Lewis.

I think I agree with this.  Purdue has had better years and better teams offensively, but this team is pretty boring.  They don't move well, don't shoot well, and seem almost obsessed with the low block; which Butler used to their disadvantage.  Every time Purdue threw it down there, Butler ran a kid immediately to double, and Purdue's bigs rarely go their feet in position to do what they do.  Just a solid plan that took Purdue completely away from their comfort zone.

I'm not in love with Indiana's offense, either because if teams get back and are able to guard the perimeter early in possessions, we struggle to get quality shots sometimes.  We space better than Purdue does, but we also make more mistakes and take more bad shots.  Fine line....but yeah, I like how they guard.  Butler, too.

Brad Stevens took a team and school that no one was talking about and made them the new kids on the block that everybody wants to hangout with.

i wouldn't say no one was talking about Butler before stevens took over. I would say he pushed them to a place no one thought someone could take Butler. Just look at the coaches before Stevens became head coach. Thad Matta and Todd lickliter both had some success. For me, the game against Florida in the 2000 tourney where mike Miller hit a last second shot to beat butler was where people started to take notice of butler basketball

Homework assignment for all of you: watch the dec 10 2011 game against KY and see if you see any similarities to our team.

didn't feed the low post like this team however I think our 15 16 team is better at it than that one. Jones 3 played out of control like troy williams i felt. We had a stretch at the end where we were lost on both ends of the floor and dick v said we were playing uncharacteristic to Tom crean coached team however now we know that was very characteristic of a tom crean coached team lol. Gave up a few,uncontested layups however that was a very talented kentucky team. That is a few it noticed.

If something *does* happen and the roster/recruiting gets blown up for a little bit, Juwan, OG, and Rob will be a fun trio to have around during any rebuild that will happen. Juwan has already improved so much in a couple months.

Agreed. I've heard some people say that no matter who we bring in, we will be looking at a 3-5 year rebuild. That's a joke. We will have a coachable & competent core to build around. We could also bring in some unexpected recruits.

Agreed. I've heard some people say that no matter who we bring in, we will be looking at a 3-5 year rebuild. That's a joke. We will have a coachable & competent core to build around. We could also bring in some unexpected recruits.

3-5 is nuts. I think at least 1 but less than 3 no doubt.

Crean is legitimately causing more harm than good to the program... It could grow at an exponential rate causing pressure to build and pop. Then we really could have a 3-5 year rebuild.... All I want if for Christmas is Crean to walk away and Stevens to come home.

If we lose only Troy, Yogi and JBJ and everyone else stays and our recruits stay committed, we will be exponentially better (simply because Yogi and JBJ will be gone) regardless of coach. Addition by subtraction.

I'm not sure I agree with that at all. I think we're better without JBJ, but Troy really does a lot for our offense. He's one of the few that actually gets to the rim and cuts. His turnovers hurt, but I'd imagine we lose a dimension on offense without him. Until someone else proves they can be a competent facilitator like Yogi, who is nearing the career assist record at Indiana even with the TERRIBLE Vonleh squad, I'm not sure who we run the offense through. I'm frustrated with Troy and Yogi as well, but you can't deny their importance to this team. I will reject arguments for the importance of JBJ till I'm blue in the face though.

Crean is legitimately causing more harm than good to the program... It could grow at an exponential rate causing pressure to build and pop. Then we really could have a 3-5 year rebuild.... All I want if for Christmas is Crean to walk away and Stevens to come home.

If we hire a competent coach, I can't envision a scenario that takes us 3-5 years to rebuild into a contender. It took Crean 3 bad seasons to rebuild from sanctions, reduced schollies, and complete roster turnover. A big name coach will be coming into a FAR better situation no matter when Crean leaves, unless he leaves us with sanctions, which are highly unlikely. 

I would actually go as far as saying that if Crean is gone at seasons end an impact coach is quickly hired, we could have a turnaround the next season. It's not too uncommon for big time new hires to make moves late in the recruiting season, if they are given a big enough window to make their case.

If we lose only Troy, Yogi and JBJ and everyone else stays and our recruits stay committed, we will be exponentially better (simply because Yogi and JBJ will be gone) regardless of coach. Addition by subtraction.

Except Crean has shown he can't win without having truly exceptional talent on the roster. The 2012-2013 team was loaded. Vic was an absolute stud that year, Cody was Cody. Then add in our senior leaders who were good players, and a top rated freshman guard.

Next year's team as of right now doesn't have that level of talent

depends on what you call a rebuild or down year. For many coaches a rebuild or down year is a Crean miracle year

Even I'll say this is a stretch.  Crean's miracle year was a Final Four, that's not a down year for any coach.

More like for many coaches a down year is a typical year for Tom Crean.

Even I'll say this is a stretch. Crean's miracle year was a Final Four, that's not a down year for any coach.

More like for many coaches a down year is a typical year for Tom Crean.

haha, yes, was thinking about his time at Indiana where we went to the sweet 16. Those are his miracle years at Indiana. And yes, I think a good coach could take this bunch further

haha, yes, was thinking about his time at Indiana where we went to the sweet 16. Those are his miracle years at Indiana. And yes, I think a good coach could take this bunch further

A good coach absolutely could take this team further.  The talent is there, they need a coach that can get the most out of them and make them a team as opposed to a collection of talent.