Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Its not that they don't care but see my post above. I see a lot of people call Glass a fanboy yourself included. If we are to look at the whole situation objectively wouldn't it be the exact opposite?

More wins means more money, so they should care about the wins and losses.

More wins means more money, so they should care about the wins and losses.

How so in college basketball? We are IU. We are on ESPN and CBS numerous times throughout the year regardless.

I do go back to the term fanboy as it is meant to be derogatory and still find it humorous. As we are describing ourselves to a T when making this decision. Glass is looking at the whole picture. We look at one aspect. That is the definition of a fanboy. I want Crean gone. I want Stevens here. But it's because I am a fanboy. Not Glass.

IMO that is why Brad Stevens is the only answer. He could easily have more of a backing generating more donations for the Athletic Department. Until Crean bottoms out on donations the others we discuss will be lucky to pull the revenue Creandoes from the big donors. I think Glass only wants to work with guarantees after his extension. Brad Stevens.

If that's the case, Glass only wanting to work with guarantees, then this whole thing is pointless.  There are no guarantees, not even with Stevens and I want him here as much as anyone.

Support from alumni.

They hit their goals in that area? You know that. I am very happy the job Glass is doing. He continually makes our whole athletic department better. From a structural perspective. Grade perspective. It is a lot better than when I was there. That's his job. That was what the university set up to do 25 years ago. You know that. I want Crean gone. I want Stevens here. At this point that is the only person that will bring in the revenue for Glass to make a change without arrests or bad grades. Colts you know that as an alum.

If that's the case, Glass only wanting to work with guarantees, then this whole thing is pointless. There are no guarantees, not even with Stevens and I want him here as much as anyone.

I think that's just natural. Everyone wants that.

Here's what will happen.  We'll fade down the stretch, lose early in both the BTT and NCAAs (if we make them), and despite that Crean will be viewed as doing just enough to keep his job.  He'll be the coach next season even though he should've been fired after last season.

I hope you are wrong... but we've been here before - several times. *sigh*

@ Mdn82 - I don't know if the basketball program is meeting it's revenue goals or not but if they are, the bar wasn't set high enough. How many more empty seats are there this year vs 2012? How many fewer beverages/food has been sold? How many fewer jerseys and candy striped pants have been sold? How many fewer people are subscribing online to watch the preseason games? How many fewer viewers are tuning in? These are all immediate problems but then they have the latent problems related to the bastardization of this brand: how many fewer youngsters are not growing up rabid for IU basketball and are instead wearing Duke and UK stuff and becoming die hards for them instead? This young generation has fewer reasons to care and doesn't have the history to fall back on. They will likely never become die hard fans like you and I. What is that life time opportunity loss?

If the administration is that narrow sighted to only look at what's happening right now then they are missing a lot and killing any hope of IU being a basketball school with one of the biggest fan bases in the world as soon as one more generation from now. If they are ok killing this brand and losing out long term on all the things that come with being a basketball school then we are all wasting our time on this site and caring as much as we do

@ Mdn82 - I don't know if the basketball program is meeting it's revenue goals or not but if they are, the bar wasn't set high enough. How many more empty seats are there this year vs 2012? How many fewer beverages/food has been sold? How many fewer jerseys and candy striped pants have been sold? How many fewer people are subscribing online to watch the preseason games? How many fewer viewers are tuning in? These are all immediate problems but then they have the latent problems related to the bastardization of this brand: how many fewer youngsters are not growing up rabid for IU basketball and are instead wearing Duke and UK stuff and becoming die hards for them instead? This young generation has fewer reasons to care and doesn't have the history to fall back on. They will likely never become die hard fans like you and I. What is that life time opportunity loss?

If the administration is that narrow sighted to only look at what's happening right now then they are missing a lot and killing any hope of IU being a basketball school with one of the biggest fan bases in the world as soon as one more generation from now. If they are ok killing this brand and losing out long term on all the things that come with being a basketball school then we are all wasting our time on this site and caring as much as we do

That's part of what I meant when I said more wins means more money.  Fans being more interested means they're actually going to the games, it means more food/drink sold, it means more merchandise sold.

I'm not going to argue that the bottom dollar isn't important, it is, but they shouldn't just be looking at the bottom line.  They need to have some damn pride in the product being put on display that's representing the IU brand, and that product is embarrassing.

The problem is it has only been that way for a couple of games. The games where it wasn't sold out were games we historically didn't due to the time they were scheduled. Students on vacation. Now if we do that against OSU then ok. Our revenue from attendance is nothing in the scheme of things. We have always been lucky to be just in the $30-40 million range. Say we have so far from a few games lost out on what amounts to $500,000-$1,000,000. Do you really think in a business that Glass is overlooking where we are better than normal due to football he is concerned? I highly doubt he is thinking let's round up $11 million for less than Brad Stevens. His department brings in over $150-200 million in revenues plus booster money. I think you guys blow out of proportion what we have truly lost out on. The picture is bigger than Crean or Glass. I truly hope you guys start seeing that to understand why things are the way they are. This is a business and we are the fanboys.

Another thing we need to remember is the networks purchase rights to games far in advance. If we start losing ESPN and CBS games they will take notice. Part of that is expectations of a team and how safe a bet is people will watch. Fewer viewers against Random State means nothing because it is a fixed resource of a conference network revenue. IMO conference stations have saved his job to this point. If this were the 90s, and our football revenue were less than basketball he would already be gone. There is no incentive to schedule top games for Glass. In basketball every IU game minus a game or 2 will be on BTN. One game will be on ESPN due to B1G vs ACC. One will be on due to the crossroads. Then we usually always have one more for a random Gtown or Louisville. Notice a trend? Every year we have had this fixed amount on these stations. Say we have had 3 games of 7500 people not showing up. Say on average that costs the department on average $60 per person which is high. That's 1.35 million. On merchandise let's say 500,000-1,000,000. At most we are less than $2.5 million from the previous year. That is nothing considering we just made a bowl in Football. Plus us going to Maui more than makes up for that. Plus playing lesser teams and what we have to pay them offsets what we have lost. Us against Duke was one of the highest rated games so far. I just think we on this board have little concept of what Glass looks at.

http://www.forbes.com/pictures/fgif45jifi/8-indiana-hoosiers/

Thats the thing. People don't realize how little our team actually makes in the scheme of things. With merchandising we are close to $40 million. -1%? That is typical fluctuation. Unfortunately for us we either need arrests or boosters to get pissed. Our little notes to Glass just make him laugh. This is why. We as fanboys need to realize that by opening our eyes. It isn't Glass needing to open his eyes. He can see quite well.

^^^Agreed MDN but as fans it's extremely frustrating to see pu breakout, Butler being Butler through a coaching change and the MSUs, Dukes, and pukes of the world succeed.  We know we have the potential to be a contender every year and could be there with one hire.  It's the perception that the administration has a different perception that frustrates me.

^^^Agreed MDN but as fans it's extremely frustrating to see pu breakout, Butler being Butler through a coaching change and the MSUs, Dukes, and pukes of the world succeed. We know we have the potential to be a contender every year and could be there with one hire. It's the perception that the administration has a different perception that frustrates me.

**also, you're better than the "bju" reference

I changed it. I completely agree with you. I think at some point the athletic department is going to have to pony up to keep boosters around. These up and comers just haven't worked out for us.

To supplement USPS's stuff: The earliest one I could find, 2009. http://www.forbes.com/2009/03/16/most-valuable-college-basketball-teams-business-sports-final-four_slide_5.html

So, saying overall the Crean years have deeply hurt the brand since even shortly after the Sampson years is pretty accurate.

In ranking? Yes by a couple of spots. In revenue? No. We have increased revenue by over 30%.