Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

they are also the latest numbers to go by

Yep and I truly think this should be looked at when making a decision. We have to go with known commodity to help our value. I know with Crean circumstances were different but we still have the ability to hit a homerun.

It drops after July 1. It's essentially $11 million or he is coming back next year. No way a decision is made that late. It starts dropping quick after next year.

Wow.

You make it sound like a lump sum though when it isn't. I get what you mean and we also don't know how much would be deducted since we don't know what his next coaching job would pay (and even I'll admit he'll get another gig). At the end of the day IU wouldn't be paying 11 million of we fired him.

Wow.

You make it sound like a lump sum though when it isn't. I get what you mean and we also don't know how much would be deducted since we don't know what his next coaching job would pay (and even I'll admit he'll get another gig). At the end of the day IU wouldn't be paying 11 million of we fired him.

True but would our department pay his $2+ million over 5 years and say $3.5 million for our next coach at the same time? I also don't think he sits on the sidelines, but you have to plan on paying for it until it is certain you are not.

Ok Mike. If we are to look at this from just a marketing perspective, then how is hiring Archie Miller or someone of that ilk going to be perceived by the average fan? The fan that makes up the majority of Hoosier fans? We are just talking about our brand here. How from a business perspective can you sell your donors on anything less than a Donovan, Stevens, or a championship coach if you are Glass? How can you go to boosters for $11 million for anything less than a homerun after you signed him to that extension? I mean, let's look at this from a realistic standpoint. You are in marketing. You just were signed to a large account only 3 years in to it you realize you made a mistake in some of the decisions you made in the campaign. Do you go to your bosses and try and sell them on anything less than a homerun when you know your job is now dependent on this decision?

Glass needs to admit to his bosses and the world that he made a mistake. He will never present it that way Publicly but by recommending and forcing a change that is what he is doing. It wasn't a disastrous decision to extend/support Crean, many people thought after 2011 that he was the right coach. I wasn't convinced but many were so I can't blame him for feeling that way.

Yes, when he makes that reco to remove Crean he has to recommend a better fit. We cannot have 1 solution, that is complete BS, no pun intended. It is his job to find a coach that is an upgrade and if he is the AD that some think he is, then it shouldn't be this impossible feat that many are making it out to be. It's not Stevens or Crean. Duke and UNC will both be replacing legends in the next few years and when the time comes, they might try for Stevens if he is available but if he isn't, they are going to have to hire someone. Therefore, there are two coaches out there that are good enough for Duke and UNC so they are likely good enough for IU. Who are those coaches? I don't know, not my job to figure out.

Point is, Crean hasn't destroyed a brand, but his control has deteriorated it and that will continue and the impact will be LONG lasting and longer every minute he is here. Furthermore, there are two coaches out there that will be taking over at two of the blue bloods very soon... Who are they? They exist Glass, go find them and get them locked up before those two come calling

True but would our department pay his $2+ million over 5 years and say $3.5 million for our next coach at the same time? I also don't think he sits on the sidelines, but you have to plan on paying for it until it is certain you are not.

It's in "good faith" so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he landed on his feet making ~1 mil/year.  I could also see an agreement is reached and less money is paid.

Is it possible to continue to pay him but reassign him to an admin position until July 1 and then fire him?

It's reached a point where I enjoy discussing potential new coaches and the news and rumors surrounding them more than IU basketball games. That's wrong on so many levels, but it's what this regime has done to me.

I agree. I hope someone puts the pressure on with the next hire. Before there were so many variables involved that did not include basketball which is BS. This next hire needs to absolutely be about the best coach. That's it. We don't need black, white, Boy Scout coach. We need the best coach.

It's in "good faith" so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he landed on his feet making ~1 mil/year. I could also see an agreement is reached and less money is paid.

Is it possible to continue to pay him but reassign him to an admin position until July 1 and then fire him?

That is an interesting thought. I assume if there is minimal contention they could work something similar out.

It's in "good faith" so I wouldn't be a bit surprised if he landed on his feet making ~1 mil/year.  I could also see an agreement is reached and less money is paid.

It's theoretically possible, but why would CTC agree to such a move?  Also, it's a move I don't see Glass making.  I don't think it would make the university look very good.

It's theoretically possible, but why would CTC agree to such a move?  Also, it's a move I don't see Glass making.  I don't think it would make the university look very good.

I'm not saying it would actually be done but it could be used to force Crean into agreeing to a lesser buyout.

They hit their goals in that area? You know that. I am very happy the job Glass is doing. He continually makes our whole athletic department better. From a structural perspective. Grade perspective. It is a lot better than when I was there. That's his job. That was what the university set up to do 25 years ago. You know that. I want Crean gone. I want Stevens here. At this point that is the only person that will bring in the revenue for Glass to make a change without arrests or bad grades. Colts you know that as an alum.

I don't disagree with any of that.  And yes...I know everything you said is true.  The answer is a one man list...until it isn't.  I know that too, and I've said it a lot more than you have.  Glass' job is to look big picture and I too think he's done very well, but the other side to the coin is while I too am very happy with the job Glass is doing, Indiana does not compete on a level right now with the Michigan States, Penn States, Ohio States, etc.  And we can't count on football to generate the money....basketball has to.  Like T. Boone Pickens at Oklahoma State whose interest was the success of the football program, Indiana has plenty of alums who are willing to step up...and will if the basketball team gets to a better spot.  

The comment was "more wins = more money."  My response was a simple one because it's an accurate one.   We do well now, but even if we meet our goals now, we do better if we win bigger.  I'm not faulting Glass for anything.  I also know he's had the money to buy Crean out for over a year.  If anything, he's too patient.  I also know Cindy Simon-Skjodt wants a big winner in the building with her name on it.  I know Mr. Shapiro (forget his name...friends with Herb Simon and owns Shapiro's Deli in Indy) backed off his yearly gifts recently, citing disappointment in the basketball program as a primary reason.  If the basketball program starts to win more consistently, the alumni will be more supportive financially.  YOU know that.

I'm not saying it would actually be done but it could be used to force Crean into agreeing to a lesser buyout.

Surely there's a point at which CTC himself says enough is enough and the 2 sides get together, negotiate a buyout and CTC announces his resignation.  He's got to be painfully aware that he is not a beloved and revered coach and likely never will be.  How much stress does he want to continue to place on himself and his family? 

Surely there's a point at which CTC himself says enough is enough and the 2 sides get together, negotiate a buyout and CTC announces his resignation. He's got to be painfully aware that he is not a beloved and revered coach and likely never will be. How much stress does he want to continue to place on himself and his family?

if there is one thing Crean isn't, it's a quitter. He is too narcissistic and stubborn to quit. He would have to have something else lined up he could say is his passion or dream to leave for to save face.

if there is one thing Crean isn't, it's a quitter. He is too narcissistic and stubborn to quit. He would have to have something else lined up he could say is his passion or dream to leave for to save face.

Don't disagree.  But we know he wouldn't stay unemployed for very long.  Maybe the new job wouldn't pay quite as much and he might not have the recruiting budget he has now, but do you really see him as Gen. Custer at Little Big Horn?  I think despite the make-up of his personality, there is a limit on how much pushback he will ultimately accept.   On the other hand, one more player in the police reports could be the flashpoint for a resignation.

Don't disagree. But we know he wouldn't stay unemployed for very long. Maybe the new job wouldn't pay quite as much and he might not have the recruiting budget he has now, but do you really see him as Gen. Custer at Little Big Horn? I think despite the make-up of his personality, there is a limit on how much pushback he will ultimately accept. On the other hand, one more player in the police reports could be the flashpoint for a resignation.

of course he will be able to find another job and likely a decent one, but he has plenty of money and could quit to be his son or daughters coach or something that no one could really put him down for and from a PR standpoint would be a good story.

Won't happen, just saying he would need an out if he were to just walk away