Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

6 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

There might not be any deemphasizing athletics but we sure aren't getting our money's worth. We pay our coach a top-ten salary and give him the highest recruiting budget in the conference and this is what we get out of it. We spend all this money and we've been the 5th or 6th best program in our own conference. Maybe deemphasizing isn't the right word, but we've been doing something wrong. 

Completely agree. I have no way of knowing how good we will be or whether we do things competently. I was just saying there is 0% athletics get de-emphasized or having funding cut as a poster indicated with Butlers situation being an important example of what happens to presidents who become hostile towards athletics (big difference from staying out of it and letting tohers lead which is what McRobbie has done so far).  

Just now, pumpfake said:

After taking a 13 hour sabatical, this scenario is what I'm going with:

There were talks with Donovan's representatives and Billy is definitely interested, but not willing to discuss or make a decision until his season is over.  Fred is all about making the home run hire and sending shockwaves across the college basketball landscape, so he plans on doing nothing until OKC is done for the year.  He is allowing Crean to stay on or leave of his own accord - until he gets a decision from Billy or the buyout drops.  It's his gamble, he'll either make an amazing hire or save some cash, appoint one of the assistants as interim coach and spend the entire season searching for a top coach.

Until this happens I'll just be eagerly awaiting April 16th when the Easter Bunny will come to my house.

I thinking/hoping for the same.  I just wish he would go ahead and get rid of CTC. Who cares.  We will do just as good with an interim coach if we have to.

After taking a 13 hour sabatical, this scenario is what I'm going with:
There were talks with Donovan's representatives and Billy is definitely interested, but not willing to discuss or make a decision until his season is over.  Fred is all about making the home run hire and sending shockwaves across the college basketball landscape, so he plans on doing nothing until OKC is done for the year.  He is allowing Crean to stay on or leave of his own accord - until he gets a decision from Billy or the buyout drops.  It's his gamble, he'll either make an amazing hire or save some cash, appoint one of the assistants as interim coach and spend the entire season searching for a top coach.
Until this happens I'll just be eagerly awaiting April 16th when the Easter Bunny will come to my house.

If Crean isn't fired Friday, he's staying. Crean probably already firing up the Jet to go look at a recruit from Oregon.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I get some of those scenarios above, but if he was set on keeping him, why not announce it sooner rather than later? He could go the 2015 route where he says Crean has always been the coach, and we all made a story about nothing, I guess?

The trustees/boosters slowing him down is obviously plausible, but the silence is deafening right now. 

If Fred can't get this figured out by himself, he needs to go.  He definitely is part of the issue.  I can't believe how incompetent an AD can be.  I won't be happy until he is gone as well.  I hate both of them.

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

This fits

So this 'rumor' about Glass announcing yesterday (no idea if I believe it) was put on hold by trustees. If that's the case maybe trustees were leaving it to Glass hoping he made the right decision. Then when they heard he planned on keeping him they got involved and told him change your mind or you are out also and now a lot of posturing is going on between Glass and the higher ups over Crean. Wouldn't doubt this but hard to know if a rumor is to be believed. 

2 minutes ago, Aaron said:

So this 'rumor' about Glass announcing yesterday (no idea if I believe it) was put on hold by trustees. If that's the case maybe trustees were leaving it to Glass hoping he made the right decision. Then when they heard he planned on keeping him they got involved and told him change your mind or you are out also and now a lot of posturing is going on between Glass and the higher ups over Crean. Wouldn't doubt this but hard to know if a rumor is to be believed. 

Its probably what he was on the phone about at the Indy airport terminal when he looked so intense or concerned.

12 hours ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

My questions of his abilities, has turned into hatred more and more each day.

I've never seen someone make so many excuses and yet NEVER fix a damn thing.

It's truly amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He never fixes anything because in his mind it's never his fault.  In his mind it's up to the players to fix the flaws that every single one of his teams have always had.

12 hours ago, ap2345 said:

I'm not going to lie I watched the documentary perfect in 76 yesterday and it kind of made me sad. I was saddened by it because in my lifetime IU has had 4 coaches and I was to young to remember the endof Bob Knight at IU. But the truthis thhe film showed me how great IU basketball was and I have never seen IU as being that great of a program in my lifetime. All IU has been in my lifetime is either bad or inconsistent. I would love for IU to hire a new coach and return IU to its former Glory but the truth is I'm not sure if that will ever happen because once you start the downhill  slide it's hard to right the ship. Crean was on the verge of righting the ship until he hit an iceberg this year. All I want is to see IU returned to its Blue Blood status because it isn't what it used to be and it is ashame.

Alabama football wasn't "Alabama" for a while either, then they hired Saban.  They cared about their program, they got serious.  They went through coach after coach until they got their guy, some of them won COY awards and still got fired.  It is possible, but IU has to want to.

3 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

This season was so "bad", that Wikipedia needed alteration:

Tom Crean (Michael Jackson song)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Tom Crean"

Single by Michael Jackson
from the album 2016-17 Indiana Hoosiers
B-side "I Can't Help It"
Released September 7, 1987
Format CD single, 7" single, 12" single
Recorded January 1987
Genre
Length 4:07 (Album version)
8:22 (Dance extended mix)
Label Epic
Writer(s) Michael Jackson
Producer(s) Quincy Jones
Michael Jackson (co-producer)
Michael Jackson singles chronology
"I Just Can't Stop Loving You"
(1987)
"Tom Crean"
(1987)
"The Way You Make Me Feel"
(1987)
Music video
"Tom Crean" on YouTube

"Tom Crean" is a song by an American artist Michael Jackson. "Tom Crean" was released by Epic Records on September 7, 1987, as the second single from Jackson's third major-label and seventh studio album of the same name. The song was written and composed by Jackson and co-produced by Quincy Jones and Jackson. Jackson stated that the song was influenced by a real-life story he had read about.

"Tom Crean" was received with horror by Indiana Basketball fans, though some critics noted that "Tom Crean" helped Jackson's image become edgier during the Tom Crean-era. The song peaked at number one on the Billboard Hot 100, and remained at the top position of the chart for two weeks, becoming the album's second number one single, and Jackson's eighth number one entry on the chart. Internationally, the song was also commercially successful, charting within the top in eleven countries as well as charting within the top five in the United Kingdom, France, Italy, Norwegian, Switzerland and Swedish charts. The song also peaked at number one on the Netherlands and European charts.

The full version of the music video for "Tom Crean", released in August 1987, and broadcast as a CBS prime time special, was directed entirely by Martin Scorsese[1] and co-starred Wesley Snipes in one of his first appearances prior to being discovered as an actor. The video portrays Michael Jackson and various backup dancers shown performing complex choreography in a subway station. "Tom Crean" has been covered and parodied by many different artists since its release and has become a song used frequently in tributes to Jackson after his death in June 2009.

The song is featured in the 2010 animated film Megamind. It is also featured in the first theatrical trailer for the 2016 animated film The Angry Birds Movie and in the teaser trailer for the 2017 animated film Despicable Me 3.

4:07 also happens to be the amount of time this team spends playing defense.

8:22 is the amount of time this teams spends NOT turning the ball over.

Here's a little story for you.  I have a neighbor who has spent a lot of time around athletics - both professional and college.  He was employed by a certain B10 team as a play-by-play guy and did the same for several years in the NBA.  First off, he's not an IU fan so his opinion is probably prejudiced, but when we were discussing the upcoming season a year or two ago he flat out said Tom Crean is an idiot and by no means a good coach.  His blunt assessment kind of surprised me in how certain and absolute his opinion was.  I have to chalk part of it up to rivalry, but no doubt part of it was his honest opinion of CTC's coaching prowess.

I want us to have a coach that our rivals dislike because he kicks their butts regularly.

Holy crap, I missed a lot of pages for nothing happening and it's barely afternoon here.

Here's the plan.  Tell Crean there's a recruit in China that has never seen a basketball, can't walk and chew gum at the same time, literally can do nothing but jump and that he has to hurry or a D2 school might swoop in; then when he inevitably takes the plane, make sure the pilot has instructions to leave him there.

3 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

All Fred needs to do to keep his job as not suck at his job. That means hire coaches that don't suck. 

He really only needs to hire one good coach. If the basketball program is doing well then few will care about what's happening with the other programs and his job will be safe.