Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

HoosierAloha

Post-Butler Frustration Thread

2 minutes ago, bellj833 said:

Not sure why everyone is going overboard here....Butler is not a bad basketball team at all. They're gonna be top 15 next week and I honestly won't be surprised if they win the Big East. Yeah we got out coached but we fought back and gave ourselves a chance after digging too deep of a hole. We're not going to win every game...nobody is for that matter but we have played good basketball the first 2 months and have huge wins over UNC, Kansas, and IMO we'll have another big win vs Louisville. At least wait until halfway through big ten season to start freaking out. This team is still young and still gelling. These games will go along way in helping us later in the season so let's just all chill out and at least get to big ten season before we go off the deep end

Bolded part is all you need to know

2 minutes ago, bellj833 said:

Not sure why everyone is going overboard here....Butler is not a bad basketball team at all. They're gonna be top 15 next week and I honestly won't be surprised if they win the Big East. Yeah we got out coached but we fought back and gave ourselves a chance after digging too deep of a hole. We're not going to win every game...nobody is for that matter but we have played good basketball the first 2 months and have huge wins over UNC, Kansas, and IMO we'll have another big win vs Louisville. At least wait until halfway through big ten season to start freaking out. This team is still young and still gelling. These games will go along way in helping us later in the season so let's just all chill out and at least get to big ten season before we go off the deep end

Good points, not sure we'll beat Louisville. We're young, we don't have a single point guard. We live and die by the 3. I think we're really overrated to be honest. However, Crean's offense and "adjustments" are baffling. We honestly need to schedule more competitive teams. This Houston Baptist and Delaware State crap is not helping at all. 

On the bright side NOBODY on this team will be leaving early for the draft after this year and we should be loaded next year. OG may have the opportunity because of his athleticism but I don't think he's confident enough or is in any hurry to turn pro as his family is already loaded

21 minutes ago, IUfan_Charlie said:

lol. He doesn't have the x's and o's chops to be an NBA coach. NBA offense is way more complex than college. 

I think that this is a problem that no one is talking about...every year after the season is over, there are always rumors of college coaches going to the NBA, but Crean's name is never mentioned.  Frankly, this is how you know have a good coach or not, IMO.

When turnovers are okay, when horrible shot selection is okay, when decision making is questionable from upper classmen (i.e. when your #5 option, Newkirk, becomes the PRIMARY scoring option when the game's on the line)....you have no chance to do anything in March.    Sometimes, shots fall and teams get lured into thinking they're pretty good.  Tom Crean gets abused by Butler time and time and time and time again.  Why?   

Butler executes.  Butler is efficient.  Butler doesn't settle for quick, bad shots consistently.  Kelan Martin is from Louisville.  Less than 2 hours from Bloomington.  Did we even look at this kid?  Or did we get lured by Devante Green who happens to have a famous relative?   (I may have answered my own question)  Tom Crean drives me nuts.  He apparently doesn't care one bit about quality possessions or making a defense work.  Indiana had 13 turnovers today and probably 10 more quick, bad shots.  They had 11 assists.   Butler had 6 turnovers and a handful of quick, bad shots.  They had 14 assists.  Indiana won the rebounding battle by 16.  Indiana shot one more FT.   Indiana made one more FT. Butler wins.   IU out-rebounds Butler by 16, and gets just one more net shot attempt.  That's hard to do. Unless you turn it over a lot.  Hhmm...

Someone explain to me how and why Newkirk gets 11 shots and Johnson gets 5.  Morgan and Anunoby get 10 between them.   Newkirk is our point guard.  He had 11 shot attempts and 1 assist.  Are you kidding me?  What coach lets THAT happen, when you have scorers like Blackmon on the floor?  Granted, JBJ seems too cool for school much of the time; but Josh Newkirk cannot be the offensive catalyst with the game on the line.  Guy shoots about 37% from the floor, but he's the guy taking critical shots?   

Good Lord, Tom.   

Wait. All of that was on Newkirk? Wow. I didn't think his play was memorable enough to warrant all that.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He had a ton of drives that led to 0 points. He must have been told to drive because he did it a lot. Too many empty possessions and his drives were part of that.

There were a lot of culprits though and Josh and the decision for him to be a key offensive guy was questionable.

When turnovers are okay, when horrible shot selection is okay, when decision making is questionable from upper classmen (i.e. when your #5 option, Newkirk, becomes the PRIMARY scoring option when the game's on the line)....you have no chance to do anything in March.    Sometimes, shots fall and teams get lured into thinking they're pretty good.  Tom Crean gets abused by Butler time and time and time and time again.  Why?   

Butler executes.  Butler is efficient.  Butler doesn't settle for quick, bad shots consistently.  Kelan Martin is from Louisville.  Less than 2 hours from Bloomington.  Did we even look at this kid?  Or did we get lured by Devante Green who happens to have a famous relative?   (I may have answered my own question)  Tom Crean drives me nuts.  He apparently doesn't care one bit about quality possessions or making a defense work.  Indiana had 13 turnovers today and probably 10 more quick, bad shots.  They had 11 assists.   Butler had 6 turnovers and a handful of quick, bad shots.  They had 14 assists.  Indiana won the rebounding battle by 16.  Indiana shot one more FT.   Indiana made one more FT. Butler wins.   IU out-rebounds Butler by 16, and gets just one more net shot attempt.  That's hard to do. Unless you turn it over a lot.  Hhmm...

Someone explain to me how and why Newkirk gets 11 shots and Johnson gets 5.  Morgan and Anunoby get 10 between them.   Newkirk is our point guard.  He had 11 shot attempts and 1 assist.  Are you kidding me?  What coach lets THAT happen, when you have scorers like Blackmon on the floor?  Granted, JBJ seems too cool for school much of the time; but Josh Newkirk cannot be the offensive catalyst with the game on the line.  Guy shoots about 37% from the floor, but he's the guy taking critical shots?   

Good Lord, Tom.   

I agree

OG looked rusty
Morgan played really well

I think we beat this Butler team most nights, but they are (as usual) a very sound smart team. We are not.

They shot lights out in the first half, we didn't. That was the difference IMO. Turnovers and such are Crean ball.