Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

I know patience is needed and Fred Glass has it in spades. Let’s see if he’s right, this time....

Glass oversold this whole thing with the coach search, and so far it’s just more of the same. At least Archie has a different approach. What choice do we have but to ride along.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Question for the peanut gallery :  When Indiana is a pretty solid team this winter and plays in the NCAA Tournament in a year you all think we'll do no better than .500; what will your complaint be, then?   If Indiana football has a decent season and plays in a bowl game, what will your complaint be then?

You're going all in on failure and I wonder seriously if you live your lives hoping IU loses so you can come here and claim victory.  In fact, I bet some of you took Hunter's clearance as bad news.   Indiana's going to be far better than many of you think, and I want to see you here when they are.   If in fact they're not, in a year or two you'll get your wish and the turnstile will continue.  Same with football.   

Personally?  I hope Archie Miller sticks it up your a$$.

18 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Question for the peanut gallery :  When Indiana is a pretty solid team this winter and plays in the NCAA Tournament in a year you all think we'll do no better than .500; what will your complaint be, then?   If Indiana football has a decent season and plays in a bowl game, what will your complaint be then?

You're going all in on failure and I wonder seriously if you live your lives hoping IU loses so you can come here and claim victory.  In fact, I bet some of you took Hunter's clearance as bad news.   Indiana's going to be far better than many of you think, and I want to see you here when they are.   If in fact they're not, in a year or two you'll get your wish and the turnstile will continue.  Same with football.   

Personally?  I hope Archie Miller sticks it up your a$$.

Your personal friendship with Glass gets in the way of you viewing the state of IU athletics objectively. You're a smart guy, know a lot about sports, and love IU. You should be pissed about the last decade or so of IU basketball with the rest of us. But you're not, because that would require speaking negatively about your friend. I get where you're coming from on that.

Most people on here want Archie to succeed and hope that he does. But until it actually happens that's all that it is - hope. Thinking that we want IU to suck this season so that we can say we're "right" is very odd. All we talk about in this thread is how we're pissed that we have sucked the past three years and want it to change. 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Your personal friendship with Glass gets in the way of you viewing the state of IU athletics objectively. You're a smart guy, know a lot about sports, and love IU. You should be pissed about the last decade or so of IU basketball with the rest of us. But you're not, because that would require speaking negatively about your friend. I get where you're coming from on that.

Most people on here want Archie to succeed and hope that he does. But until it actually happens that's all that it is - hope. Thinking that we want IU to suck this season so that we can say we're "right" is very odd. All we talk about in this thread is how we're pissed that we have sucked the past three years and want it to change. 

I AM pissed about the last decade of IU basketball.  I'd bet more than you.  I'd bet a lot, actually.   The difference is I am looking more broadly than you are.

1)   Glass fired Crean when he had to.  I posted a timeline last week which I'll ask you to refer to when making comments about my stances specifically; but I don't believe firing him at any other time really made sense.  When it did make sense, Glass fired him. 

2)  Archie's 1st year, the cupboard was pretty lean and then Davis got hurt, making it even leaner.  The freshmen we had that season (Smith, Durham, and Moore) weren't good enough to help; and we had no shooters.  Not a single one of Archie's recruits played even a minute that year, and the players who did were all recruited to play in a completely different system.   Last year was a disappointment, but you can't ignore the injuries.  Archie planned on having Hunter and Thompson all season, and Phinisee and Morgan both missed time.    Romeo basically stopped playing mid-February.   Those things happened.  Nothing to be argued, and Archie hadn't had enough time to build depth.  He was forced to play Green out of position and had no depth in the front court.  You saw as well as I did what Phinisee is capable of before he got hurt, and he wasn't right for a month.   That all hurt the record.  I saw, and I know you did too if you're objective the improvement late in the season as clearly as I did.

3)  This season's recruits (Franklin, Brunk, and Jackson Davis) are good players.  Very good.  Adding Hunter, that's a significant upgrade, and NONE of those guys will be counted on to produce like freshmen in years past.   

4)  Glass isn't my friend. I just know him, and I'm objective about him.  His job isn't what you want his job to be.  His job is his job, and he's done very well at his job.

5)  If you don't want IU to lose, why can't you see the positives and be objective?  It's not like I'm making this stuff up.  Things ARE changing.   If you don't see it, you're choosing not to.   My outlook is based on a lot more than hope.   Again, you can claim that because you're unwilling to really look; but it's like you're fighting reality in order to have that negative outlook.  What should be different?   It looks as though Archie will land 3 straight Indiana Mr. Basketball's.  I'll let you look to see when the last time was THAT happened.  His 3 recruits next season are ALL 4 year guys and will help build a consistent winner.  That can't happen overnight, but it seems you want some name coach who would magically produce overnight changes.  Lasting changes take time.  Take a step back and take an objective look.

7)   I'm not on the Tom Allen bandwagon.  We can have that discussion later.  I gotta' go!

3 hours ago, LIHoosier said:

Cool Dad's resorted to using the old 'live in your mom's basement' line for the haters.

IU fans according to Fred Glass:

Will Ferrell Ma The Meatloaf GIF

Some thing to say about your own fans, but then again this guy once called Tom Crean an elite coach so maybe he's spent too much time watching Wedding Crashers.

13 hours ago, Old Friend said:

I AM pissed about the last decade of IU basketball.  I'd bet more than you.  I'd bet a lot, actually.   The difference is I am looking more broadly than you are.

1)   Glass fired Crean when he had to.  I posted a timeline last week which I'll ask you to refer to when making comments about my stances specifically; but I don't believe firing him at any other time really made sense.  When it did make sense, Glass fired him. 

2)  Archie's 1st year, the cupboard was pretty lean and then Davis got hurt, making it even leaner.  The freshmen we had that season (Smith, Durham, and Moore) weren't good enough to help; and we had no shooters.  Not a single one of Archie's recruits played even a minute that year, and the players who did were all recruited to play in a completely different system.   Last year was a disappointment, but you can't ignore the injuries.  Archie planned on having Hunter and Thompson all season, and Phinisee and Morgan both missed time.    Romeo basically stopped playing mid-February.   Those things happened.  Nothing to be argued, and Archie hadn't had enough time to build depth.  He was forced to play Green out of position and had no depth in the front court.  You saw as well as I did what Phinisee is capable of before he got hurt, and he wasn't right for a month.   That all hurt the record.  I saw, and I know you did too if you're objective the improvement late in the season as clearly as I did.

3)  This season's recruits (Franklin, Brunk, and Jackson Davis) are good players.  Very good.  Adding Hunter, that's a significant upgrade, and NONE of those guys will be counted on to produce like freshmen in years past.   

4)  Glass isn't my friend. I just know him, and I'm objective about him.  His job isn't what you want his job to be.  His job is his job, and he's done very well at his job.

5)  If you don't want IU to lose, why can't you see the positives and be objective?  It's not like I'm making this stuff up.  Things ARE changing.   If you don't see it, you're choosing not to.   My outlook is based on a lot more than hope.   Again, you can claim that because you're unwilling to really look; but it's like you're fighting reality in order to have that negative outlook.  What should be different?   It looks as though Archie will land 3 straight Indiana Mr. Basketball's.  I'll let you look to see when the last time was THAT happened.  His 3 recruits next season are ALL 4 year guys and will help build a consistent winner.  That can't happen overnight, but it seems you want some name coach who would magically produce overnight changes.  Lasting changes take time.  Take a step back and take an objective look.

7)   I'm not on the Tom Allen bandwagon.  We can have that discussion later.  I gotta' go!

Most of your arguments pertain to Archie/the basketball program, but I don't disagree with you on Archie. I think that he was a good hire and that he's doing the right things to build a foundation at IU. People probably got annoyed with me last year for being TOO optimistic about the program. All that is left to do is win games. I think that he's going to do that soon, but I can't give Glass credit for making a good hire until that happens. Last year was a big time disappointment, but s*** happens sometimes. I'm not writing him off because of a bad year. 

Hiring a High School coach to coach your Big Ten program is grounds for dismissal. 

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Huh? How was he a high school coach? Did I miss where being a D Cordinator at USF is high school?

Edit: 7 jobs at the college level since he was in high school coaching. This is just a crazy thing to get stuck up on. You can hate the hire for a myriad of reasons, but if this is your angle you may want to try a different angle.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

52 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Huh? How was he a high school coach? Did I miss where being a D Cordinator at USF is high school?

Edit: 7 jobs at the college level since he was in high school coaching. This is just a crazy thing to get stuck up on. You can hate the hire for a myriad of reasons, but if this is your angle you may want to try a different angle.

High school coach is a stupid argument, but...

He started at the high FBS level in 2012 as the linebackers coach for Mississippi, and held that job for 3 years.  One of his previous jobs was in NAIA Lambuth University, which doesn't even exist anymore.  After that went to Drake which is FCS, then to Arkansas State.

Spent 1 year as the Defensive Coordinator for South Florida in the AAC.

Then all of a sudden is the head coach of a B1G program.

It was an awful hire, and we've gone nowhere but backwards since he took the helm.

High school coach is a stupid argument, but... He started at the high FBS level in 2012 as the linebackers coach for Mississippi, and held that job for 3 years.  One of his previous jobs was in NAIA Lambuth University, which doesn't even exist anymore.  After that went to Drake which is FCS, then to Arkansas State.

It was an awful hire, and we've gone nowhere but backwards since he took the helm.

I don’t disagree with the rest. If that’s the argument I can’t argue against that if that is anybody’s issue for saying he is unqualified. If he has succeeded at each level and continually moved up? That’s a discussion to be had. High school coach? Idiotic argument. Where have we moved backwards though? In record? In fans perceptions?

I don’t disagree with the rest. If that’s the argument I can’t argue against that if that is anybody’s issue for saying he is unqualified. If he has succeeded at each level and continually moved up? That’s a discussion to be had. High school coach? Idiotic argument. Where have we moved backwards though? In record? In fans perceptions?  

Discipline. The defense has actually gotten worse. The offense has clearly gotten way worse. The offensive line is one of the weakest in the Big Ten and probably one of the weakest of P5 schools. Special teams still suck so that hasn’t gotten worse. We always seem to have a really good kicker so that hasn’t changed. Though the kid who does kickoffs isn’t very good.

2 hours ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Hiring a High School coach to coach your Big Ten program is grounds for dismissal.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I'd hire the coach from New Palestine right now and give Glass a raise if he did.   Not necessarily in every case.

1 hour ago, AKHoosier said:

High school coach is a stupid argument, but...

He started at the high FBS level in 2012 as the linebackers coach for Mississippi, and held that job for 3 years.  One of his previous jobs was in NAIA Lambuth University, which doesn't even exist anymore.  After that went to Drake which is FCS, then to Arkansas State.

How?  Recruiting classes have improved if you look at national ranking; he has the best record of any IU football coach in history save Bill Mallory, and Mallory is up by .002%.   Indiana is at least as likely to to go a bowl this season as not; and we have some depth for the first time in a couple of decades.

There's no evidence to support that statement.   

6 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Most of your arguments pertain to Archie/the basketball program, but I don't disagree with you on Archie. I think that he was a good hire and that he's doing the right things to build a foundation at IU. People probably got annoyed with me last year for being TOO optimistic about the program. All that is left to do is win games. I think that he's going to do that soon, but I can't give Glass credit for making a good hire until that happens. Last year was a big time disappointment, but s*** happens sometimes. I'm not writing him off because of a bad year. 

I'm not on the Allen bandwagon, so I'm going to limit my real arguments "for" to Archie.   I think the Allen hire is still a "jury's out" situation.  I think Archie has shown plenty in his time here; not the least of which is an obvious understanding of where he is.  Something none of his 3 predecessors seemed to (Davis, Sampson, Crean).   The team got better a year ago.  They were playing better late than they were early; and Miller got rid of dead weight, some of which (Forrester in particular) was his own doing.  

Can you give Glass credit for his baseball hires?  For soccer remaining at the top of the NCAA?  Swimming doing the same despite having to fire a guy and including adding some Olympic athletes?  For improvements in other sports which are happening?  For facilities upgrades, which are undeniable even if some say it hasn't been enough?  For year after year of record revenue production from donations?   For operating in the black year after year?   For spending more money on football coaches and having no restrictions on recruiting budgets?   

Basketball will be fine and very good.  I have no doubt.  I know that's an unproven comment, but I'm willing to stand by it.   I also know you and others wish Glass' job was different than it is; but per his job description, he's doing quite well despite what you may think of him.

Discipline. The defense has actually gotten worse. The offense has clearly gotten way worse. The offensive line is one of the weakest in the Big Ten and probably one of the weakest of P5 schools. Special teams still suck so that hasn’t gotten worse. We always seem to have a really good kicker so that hasn’t changed. Though the kid who does kickoffs isn’t very good.

Discipline oh? Yeah a half turnover less per game shows horrible progress. Or the fact that we create a half of a turnover more per game now is a clear sign our defense is way worse. Clearly worse. I am in no way saying one is above the other. But I think that’s where it sits. We are not clearly worse off, but I am stunned by your hipster approach to our program.

Discipline oh? Yeah a half turnover less per game shows horrible progress. Or the fact that we create a half of a turnover more per game now is a clear sign our defense is way worse. Clearly worse. I am in no way saying one is above the other. But I think that’s where it sits. We are not clearly worse off, but I am stunned by your hipster approach to our program.

They’ve beaten Ball State, Eastern Illinois and UConn. Nothing to be proud of yet. This defense loves giving up the wide open TD today.