Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

College Football Thread

4 hours ago, DChoosier said:

I’ve barely watched any of the bowl games this year as players opting out (and 5-7/6-6 teams in bowls) has really diminished my interest. Florida State has 20 players opting out of today’s game which makes the matchup vs. Georgia pretty worthless.

Looking forward, however, to the 3 playoff games.

What if 3 playoff games doesn't change this issue? Isn't it an enrollment time period issue? This is basically an unintended consequence from NIL in my opinion.  

3 minutes ago, KingPG21 said:

TBf, FSU has a number of opt outs. That being said, they were never gonna compete against one of these top teams w/o Travis

They do have a lot of opt outs (though Georgia does too), but 63-3 is just horrible. Georgia frankly had less to play for tonight yet they showed up while FSU’s players decided to quit. Both teams were disappointed about missing the playoff and reacted in completely different ways. 

1 hour ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

At least now we don’t have to hear about how 14-0 FSU is the real national champion (and at least their blowout loss didn’t happen in the playoff). 

I don't think this is any sort of real look at how FSU would have played.

2 minutes ago, KingPG21 said:

TBf, FSU has a number of opt outs. That being said, they were never gonna compete against one of these top teams w/o Travis

I think they could have absolutely competed even without Travis... But not with this roster clearly. Tonights teams would have barely won an ACC game. That was Indiana level.

And to be honest, all the players who sat/transferred, should be embarrassed. They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. Shouldn't even be allowed in the locker room or any team facilities. To just leave your teammates, your brothers, out there like that to get killed... I hope they feel guilty. I hope they look back in 30 years and say, "man I really screwed up there." No real men there. Cowards. All of em.

*This might belong in the rant thread too*

5 minutes ago, Loaded Chicken Sandwich said:

I don't think this is any sort of real look at how FSU would have played.

I think they could have absolutely competed even without Travis... But not with this roster clearly. Tonights teams would have barely won an ACC game. That was Indiana level.

And to be honest, all the players who sat/transferred, should be embarrassed. They should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. Shouldn't even be allowed in the locker room or any team facilities. To just leave your teammates, your brothers, out there like that to get killed... I hope they feel guilty. I hope they look back in 30 years and say, "man I really screwed up there." No real men there. Cowards. All of em.

*This might belong in the rant thread too*

You good man?

29 minutes ago, KingPG21 said:

You good man?

Eh. Betterish now. Just infuriates me that guys would sit out a game like this. You have a dude like Travis that literally can't be on the field on the sidelines trying to help. Dudes on the field getting beat down and all those other cowards are just crying in their own pity because their feelings are hurt. Get the hell over yourself, it's a damned team. It's supposed to be a family. Man the hell up, show some pride and play the game. Bunch of damned quitters. Throughout the sport. It's embarrassing.

5 hours ago, Lebowski said:

I wonder what the numbers are regarding bowl viewership. Like are they down or no difference. Anyone know?

Unfortunately I think they’re still quite strong — don’t have it handy but someone compared the IU/KU bball game to a concurrent bowl and the football numbers were quite a bit higher.

If I recall it wasn’t huge brands or anything, either, just like a meaningless bowl game. 

7 hours ago, Lebowski said:

What if 3 playoff games doesn't change this issue? Isn't it an enrollment time period issue? This is basically an unintended consequence from NIL in my opinion.  

Without question NIL has added a ton of fuel to the “not playing in a bowl” fire.  It used to be a few first rounders that wanted to avoid getting hurt but now you have a lot of guys that have entered the portal, who will never sniff the NFL,  but don’t want to blow a potential 100k etc NIL deal at their future school.

Hard to believe but it was the recent 2017 bowl season when future top 10 picks McCAffrey and Fournette “scandalously” skipped their bowl games and some thought they might drop in the draft for deserting their teams etc. Mind blowing how it’s gone from a couple of guys to FSU alone having 20 guys bail today.

Going forward how many alumni (unless it’s a bowl starved school like IU) will fly to a bowl game, and pay for air/hotel/car/food/booze/tickets, to watch their second string play another teams back-ups. I’m sure there are some pissed FSU alums tonight. The ratings will be interesting to see this year as TV is the only thing that could possibly keep this many bowls (there are way too many in my opinion) going.

12 hours ago, lillurk said:

Unfortunately I think they’re still quite strong — don’t have it handy but someone compared the IU/KU bball game to a concurrent bowl and the football numbers were quite a bit higher.

If I recall it wasn’t huge brands or anything, either, just like a meaningless bowl game. 

Yes. Viewership/fan engagement is generally higher for football. That's sadly why we likely won't get a college basketball video game again, even though football is making a return in July. Can't wait for that!

8 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Yes. Viewership/fan engagement generally is generally higher for football. That's sadly why we likely won't get a college basketball video game again, even though football is making a return in July. Can't wait for that!

Yes, would love a CBB game again. Probably buying a current-gen system just to play the CFB game!

28 minutes ago, Home Jersey said:

Yes. Viewership/fan engagement generally is generally higher for football. That's sadly why we likely won't get a college basketball video game again, even though football is making a return in July. Can't wait for that!

That son of a gun is going to put my marriage and relationship with my toddlers to the test. 

20 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I’ve become a big NIL/transfer portal hater and this crappy bowl season isn’t helping. 

Agreed, and it pains me to realize we won't be immune from opt outs whenever we reach a bowl game again.

I do think Cig will get us there, but I'd be willing to bet whoever our best player(s) is will sit out of the bowl game to "prepare for the NFL draft". 

Something has to get fixed, and soon. 

21 minutes ago, maharkn said:

2 things I don't get.

Oregon and Liberty, who thought this was a good idea.

Who on the committee watched Iowa play and thought they would make a good new Year's Day game

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Speaking of Iowa, they are just an enigma.