Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

IndyHutch

IU Basketball: Who is leaving? Who is staying?

I'm almost positive it's not even allowed. Maybe Hutch could comment but I don't think you can keep a player on and take away his scholarship. I thought I remembered that from when people were suggesting that Cody might pay his own way his Sophomore year to keep the scholarship numbers right.  I think rule tries to limit the possibility of alumni donating money to families, etc. 

Didn't Bryce Alford give his scholly up and is technically a walk on at UCLA?

I'm almost positive it's not even allowed. Maybe Hutch could comment but I don't think you can keep a player on and take away his scholarship. I thought I remembered that from when people were suggesting that Cody might pay his own way his Sophomore year to keep the scholarship numbers right.  I think rule tries to limit the possibility of alumni donating money to families, etc. 

They have several rules about this but it seems teams find a way around them. UCONN was over the scholarship numbers a few years ago when Andre Drummond was an incoming recruit. He decided, because he would make millions the following year, to pay his own way. I believe there is a rule where you can't actively recruit walk-ons.

1 hour ago, BlueDevil2aHoosier said:

I think that's an option for the upcoming season based on this from the LA Times November of 2015: 

Bryce Alford has a scholarship to play basketball. Steve Alford would prefer that he did not. So, unless UCLA loses any underclassmen next season, Bryce Alford will become a walk-on, Steve Alford said Tuesday.  The planned move is because of UCLA’s talented four-man recruiting class, which would put the Bruins one above the scholarship limit of 13 next season. One perk of coaching your son, Steve Alford said, is that you effectively have one extra scholarship spot.

10 minutes ago, Bittersince87 said:

Again scholarships are only given by a year by year basis . No exceptions and it's not prillars choice if he wants to give it up. It's coach Creans decision and that's it.

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2014/6/27/IU_Announces_Unprecedented_Student_Athlete_Bill_of_Rights.aspx

" IU Athletics is also making a Four Year Scholarship Commitment to every full head count scholarship student-athlete regardless of sport entering Indiana University to ensure that they have the time needed to earn an undergraduate degree. No athletic scholarship will be reduced because of injury, illness, physical or mental condition, or on the basis of a student-athlete's ability, performance or contribution to the team's success. While four year scholarships were made permissible by the NCAA in 2011, most member schools have only selectively provided them"

http://iuhoosiers.com/news/2014/6/27/IU_Announces_Unprecedented_Student_Athlete_Bill_of_Rights.aspx

" IU Athletics is also making a Four Year Scholarship Commitment to every full head count scholarship student-athlete regardless of sport entering Indiana University to ensure that they have the time needed to earn an undergraduate degree. No athletic scholarship will be reduced because of injury, illness, physical or mental condition, or on the basis of a student-athlete's ability, performance or contribution to the team's success. While four year scholarships were made permissible by the NCAA in 2011, most member schools have only selectively provided them"

Under the bill of rights they can stay four years but that does not mean they can play for a team. In a sense they would be converted from athletic scholarships to academic scholarships. In order to do this kids can't play with the team in order to avoid ncaa sanctions.

That being said I really have no problem if priller stays or leaves.

Has anyone figured out the identity of @janitorinthegym? Seems to be the most plugged in insider that I've seen. Been correct time and time again. Talked to me about Dwayne Wade and the Heat coming in for practice way in advance. Been right about so much stuff. Really wish he/she still posted here.

Always posting Jordan Hulls stuff.

Has anyone figured out the identity of @janitorinthegym? Seems to be the most plugged in insider that I've seen. Been correct time and time again. Talked to me about Dwayne Wade and the Heat coming in for practice way in advance. Been right about so much stuff. Really wish he/she still posted here.

Always posting Jordan Hulls stuff.

Yep he is very plugged in. He has done himself favors by not posting as much here.

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

We just lose such a dynamo athlete. Some of the things he did to spark the team this year... Wow.

Some of the bone-headed plays he made to spark the other team too were just as important.  Some of Troy's bad, out of control shots were effectively turnovers.

OG can be that catalyst this year, while also playing better defense and taking better shots. 

Lol wow me all you want but after 3 years of senseless turnovers and terrible defense, sorry if I don't cry if he declares.

I'm hard pressed to find a game he lost for Indiana this year. I can find a good bunch of games where he was the catalyst for a big run. Tell me about his turnovers and defense all you want, I'm looking at what he added to the W column.