Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

BlueDevil

College Bball Thread

6 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

That's putting it mildly. We will lose by 30.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I doubt that.  Never underestimate the power of Assembly Hall.   They aren't as good as Duke and we would've had them had it not been for 4 missed FTs by Davis and an abysmal shooting night from 3.  But we need a healthy Morgan to keep it within single digits. 

I doubt that.  Never underestimate the power of Assembly Hall.   They aren't as good as Duke and we would've had them had it not been for 4 missed FTs by Davis and an abysmal shooting night from 3.  But we need a healthy Morgan to keep it within single digits. 

Man i hate to break it to you but they are quite possibly a bit better than duke. That being said we can still possibly win but i cant say duke is better. Pu playing best ball in country right now imo

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

57-24 Purdue at Iowa.

They are torching everyone. Amazing. No great players. Just some pieces.

Wow

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Their pieces became good players over their 4 years. Nobody would of wanted Dakota right out of high school but the kid worked his butt off and became a decent offensive player and a great defender. Purdue is a different example of how to become a solid team. Get old in a system, defend at a high level and surround a big man with shooters. Unfortunately for them they will be judged on what they do in the tourney. As an IU fan I hate that they are good but as a college basketball fan I love the way they play on both ends

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

7 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

Their pieces became good players over their 4 years. Nobody would of wanted Dakota right out of high school but the kid worked his butt off and became a decent offensive player and a great defender. Purdue is a different example of how to become a solid team. Get old in a system, defend at a high level and surround a big man with shooters. Unfortunately for them they will be judged on what they do in the tourney. As an IU fan I hate that they are good but as a college basketball fan I love the way they play on both ends

Yep not going to lie hope they flame out and then lose all 5 starters and have to once again rebuild. 

Man i hate to break it to you but they are quite possibly a bit better than duke. That being said we can still possibly win but i cant say duke is better. Pu playing best ball in country right now imo

Yes they are that's why I said we'd get killed

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Purdue is playing well. But there’s no way they’re the best team in the country. That’s proven in March. And as we all know, they’ve never done that

Please dont jinx it. They have only ever had a team this good a few times and this team could be the best. Nobody real dominant this year so anything could happen. You can jinx garland and romeo but dont put no guarantees on pu because i dont think i am mentally prepared for level of disappointment

40 minutes ago, Uspshoosier said:

As an IU fan I hate that they are good but as a college basketball fan I love the way they play on both ends

Pretty much how I feel. What makes them great right now is what used to make our teams great. We went away from it when we decided a 21-13 season was good enough to hire Mike Davis. We may get back to it if we can overcome 17+ years of letting our program turn into a three-ring circus with a culture of softness and sloppiness.

14 minutes ago, coonhounds said:

Please dont jinx it. They have only ever had a team this good a few times and this team could be the best. Nobody real dominant this year so anything could happen. You can jinx garland and romeo but dont put no guarantees on pu because i dont think i am mentally prepared for level of disappointment

I’m not worried at all. Purdue will find a way to lose when it matters. Never ceases

With that said, they’re not gonna lose a lot of B1G games. Possibly on the road against IU and Michigan State and they play Ohio State at home. But other than that, they’ve got it made. 15-3 at the worst if they keep playing like a well oiled machine

1 minute ago, Hoosier Guy said:

I’m not worried at all. Purdue will find a way to lose when it matters. Never ceases

I'm in full agreement with coonhounds. This very well could be their year. I don't even want to think about how nauseating the week leading up to the Final Four will be if they're in it. The Indy media will have story after story about them and will make sure to kick us while we're down. And if they actually won it all...again, I don't even want to think about it.

3 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I'm in full agreement with coonhounds. This very well could be their year. I don't even want to think about how nauseating the week leading up to the Final Four will be if they're in it. The Indy media will have story after story about them and will make sure to kick us while we're down. And if they actually won it all...again, I don't even want to think about it.

There’s a lot of season left. Don’t be so quick to throw in the towel

Purdue and Butler both prove that you can build a strong team with 4-year players, a solid system, players that follow it, and a complete team.  The truth is we didn't have any of those things with any kind of consistency for the past many years.  The key is to keep replenishing players and maintaining consistent recruiting.  This is one reason why I'm not hell bent on getting 5-stars.  Unless you bring in multiple 5-stars on a yearly basis you can be in perpetual rebuild mode without recruiting solid players to play with them.  I think Archie will do this, Tom Crean never did this.  As to Purdue, they sure seem to be clicking on all cylinders but they may be peaking too soon.

Purdue and Butler both prove that you can build a strong team with 4-year players, a solid system, players that follow it, and a complete team.  The truth is we didn't have any of those things with any kind of consistency for the past many years.  The key is to keep replenishing players and maintaining consistent recruiting.  This is one reason why I'm not hell bent on getting 5-stars.  Unless you bring in multiple 5-stars on a yearly basis you can be in perpetual rebuild mode without recruiting solid players to play with them.  I think Archie will do this, Tom Crean never did this.  As to Purdue, they sure seem to be clicking on all cylinders but they may be peaking too soon.

It takes a combination to win at the highest level. pu has a solid team led by four seniors that have improved their game every year. It's a good model but I don't think it's a model that will have you competing annually.

I believe you need the three and four year high 4* and low 5* players mixed with those other pieces. You need unselfish players that will wait their turn. (An example could be Anderson and Durham playing a very limited role next season if we were to land Romeo.) You absolutely need upperclassmen leadership that can teach the incoming freshmen.

pu's downfall in the tourney will be an athletic team that can defend the post 1v1 while pressuring their perimeter players. They're playing great basketball right now but I don't see them playing their best in March. The excuse this season will be the world games last summer.